584,874 active members*
5,047 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Auto Tool Changer > Using BT40 Without Drive Lugs

Using BT40 Without Drive Lugs

I have a 5 HP, 8000rpm spindle in my BT40 machine. I currently don't have my spindle orientation working yet. What do you think about light machining without the drive lugs so that I can use my toolchanger until I get the spindle orientation working?

Re: Using BT40 Without Drive Lugs

there isn't much other than a very slight amount of friction to prevent the holder from slipping in the taper , not worth the risk in my opinion .
    It's probably best to focus on getting your orientation corrected before running any cuts , or hand bomb your tools until you get things running properly

Will it work? Sure. Plenty of 30 taper machines don't have drive dogs and HSK without drive dogs goes up to 63, I think.

How light of a cut you need to take to not spin the tool no one can answer for you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jlmccuan View Post
    I have a 5 HP, 8000rpm spindle in my BT40 machine. I currently don't have my spindle orientation working yet. What do you think about light machining without the drive lugs so that I can use my toolchanger until I get the spindle orientation working?
    ...No problem running keyless with light to medium machining. I have seen many machine 40 taper without the Keys.

If, you would like some help figuring out why the machine Spindle Orient (M19) doesnt work..give us Make Model cnc you have 1st and want the machine is doing or not doing.

DJ

The spindle orientation not working is because I'm using a VFD and need to add a position indicator. I already have a profile set up in the VFD to run reversed at 30 rpm for tool height and diameter probing as well as hopefully spindle orientation once I get it installed.