585,715 active members*
3,719 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > is water cooled or air cooled?

is water cooled or air cooled?

hey, I bought this spindle from a friend. i got hooked up with an inverter ,but I can't find a manual for it , I want to know how is cooled, can use someone's experience with spindles.
    It was on aBusellato CNC machine .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0859.HEIC.jpg   IMG_0875.HEIC.jpg   IMG_0879.HEIC.jpg  

Re: is water cooled or air cooled?

This type of spindle uses compress air for cooling. It takes a good sized compressor to get the volume of air required. You can see the air hose connections. Also ESS compressed air to change the tools

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    This type of spindle uses compress air for cooling. It takes a good sized compressor to get the volume of air required. You can see the air hose connections. Also ESS compressed air to change the tools
    it's weird that it uses compress air as cooling ,that means the air has to be discharged ,thus flowing out and losing compressor power just to cool it.

Look for the spindle manual, the compressed air flows through air passages in spindle body and as air moves it cools the spindle. Many of these spindles also use ceramic bearings which handle higher rpm and run cool

I couldn't find it online

Quote Originally Posted by Jee77 View Post
    I couldn't find it online
    It does not use compressed air for cooling, it is an air cooled spindle, which you can see by the fins on the motor housing, it may have a built in electric fan which would need to run to cool the spindle

Your spindle has a tool changer so the fittings you see are all related to the tool changer and the air to keep chips out of the front of the spindle, so for the tool changer to work there will be some electrical sensors and air supply, this would be controlled with air solenoids, for changing the tools, don't ever activate the tool changer with the spindle running or it will be damaged
    Mactec54