584,837 active members*
5,715 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Contour toolpath issue on Haas Mini Mill

Contour toolpath issue on Haas Mini Mill

Hey Everyone,

I'm brand new here so I apologize in advance if I've not done this correctly.

I have a Haas Mini Mill 2021. I've never had any issues prior to this. It's in my garage and it's used for personal use, not industry.

I designed a part in Fusion 360 and after 5 or 6 iterations, I got it where I wanted it. I cut 5 and then tumbled them to see how they would turn out. Several days later, I purchased material to begin cutting a bunch more. Op 1 of the next part had a horrible surface finish in the outer contour. I ran another and got the same poor finish. Thinking that maybe the end mill was bad, I switched it out for a new one. The surface finish went back to normal but now there was a considerable mark where the contour toolpath ends. I ran another part and it was there again. I changed the programming several times changing anything I could think of but no matter what I tried, the marks were always there. Thinking that Fusion 360 might be the issue, I decided to run a test part and program a contour cut using the Haas VPS system. Unfortunately, I got the same outcome. I have tested this in multiple tool holders and multiple sized end mills. Nothing changes.

This is when I contacted the Haas Factory Outlet near me. They gave me a few things to test with an indicator but these tests didn't show anything. We did realize that all of the marks were showing up on cuts while moving along the Y axis. I thought I should run another test piece with the contour starting and ending on an X axis move. Before I did this test though, I found a thread online with someone mentioning a bad servo amp. They suggested that the X and Y axis servo amps be switched. I did that and ran another test piece with multiple levels of contour toolpaths. Some ending on the X and some ending on the Y. I also changed the amount of finishing overlap. All toolpaths showed the marks. I have attached a bunch of photos to show what I am talking about.

The last thing that should be mentioned is that my mill started making a low groaning sound when the table moves in the positive Y direction. It does not happen when I use the jog wheel to move the table around, only while a program is running. This started before the issue above started. Many programs were run and none of the parts had bad surface finishes. I'm not sure if the two things are related or just coincidence. I have not removed the way covers yet but I will if anyone could tell me what to look for once they are off.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions you think of. If there are other things to test, please let me know and I will tell you the outcome. Thank you very much for taking the time to help out. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2160.jpg   IMG_2161.jpg   IMG_2163.jpg   IMG_2164.jpg  

IMG_2165.jpg   IMG_2166.jpg   IMG_2167.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by NickVantucci View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I'm brand new here so I apologize in advance if I've not done this correctly.

I have a Haas Mini Mill 2021. I've never had any issues prior to this. It's in my garage and it's used for personal use, not industry.

I designed a part in Fusion 360 and after 5 or 6 iterations, I got it where I wanted it. I cut 5 and then tumbled them to see how they would turn out. Several days later, I purchased material to begin cutting a bunch more. Op 1 of the next part had a horrible surface finish in the outer contour. I ran another and got the same poor finish. Thinking that maybe the end mill was bad, I switched it out for a new one. The surface finish went back to normal but now there was a considerable mark where the contour toolpath ends. I ran another part and it was there again. I changed the programming several times changing anything I could think of but no matter what I tried, the marks were always there. Thinking that Fusion 360 might be the issue, I decided to run a test part and program a contour cut using the Haas VPS system. Unfortunately, I got the same outcome. I have tested this in multiple tool holders and multiple sized end mills. Nothing changes.

This is when I contacted the Haas Factory Outlet near me. They gave me a few things to test with an indicator but these tests didn't show anything. We did realize that all of the marks were showing up on cuts while moving along the Y axis. I thought I should run another test piece with the contour starting and ending on an X axis move. Before I did this test though, I found a thread online with someone mentioning a bad servo amp. They suggested that the X and Y axis servo amps be switched. I did that and ran another test piece with multiple levels of contour toolpaths. Some ending on the X and some ending on the Y. I also changed the amount of finishing overlap. All toolpaths showed the marks. I have attached a bunch of photos to show what I am talking about.

The last thing that should be mentioned is that my mill started making a low groaning sound when the table moves in the positive Y direction. It does not happen when I use the jog wheel to move the table around, only while a program is running. This started before the issue above started. Many programs were run and none of the parts had bad surface finishes. I'm not sure if the two things are related or just coincidence. I have not removed the way covers yet but I will if anyone could tell me what to look for once they are off.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions you think of. If there are other things to test, please let me know and I will tell you the outcome. Thank you very much for taking the time to help out. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
    Have you tried changing from climb milling to conventional or vice versa ?

Also,
    Check y axis backlash with an indicator.
    Check y axis belt tension if exist.
    Check spindle bearings for lift and radial play

Try a simple linear cutting program rather than from the post.

Check your workholding and cutter type, number of teeth or flutes, resonance can cause finish issues.

Btw. Your photos are just a white dot in a black background ????