584,846 active members*
4,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Looking to order first ever CNC machine have a question about a Dual Z axis

Looking to order first ever CNC machine have a question about a Dual Z axis

Hello,

I am looking to order my first ever CNC machine, and I am considering an Avid. I would require a dual Z axis, with a spindle and a EOT-3 Oscillating Cutting Module. I was wondering if anyone has this setup or something similar and if it was successful. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Re: Looking to order first ever CNC machine have a question about a Dual Z axis

Hi,
    what material are you cutting? The material determines the rigidity required of the machine.

A mill that can cut steel is often many thousands of pounds of cast iron, whereas a 4' x 8' router for wood may weigh less than a thousand pounds.

Craig

We produce DRO and grating ruler, maybe it will help you, you can go to https://www.amazon.com/stores/HHXXOV...2?ref_=ast_bln
    view on

Quote Originally Posted by Dmartens86 View Post
    Hello,

I am looking to order my first ever CNC machine, and I am considering an Avid. I would require a dual Z axis, with a spindle and a EOT-3 Oscillating Cutting Module. I was wondering if anyone has this setup or something similar and if it was successful. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thank You!
    I have a PRO60120 with dual heads and extended gantry. My first recommendation is to make sure you buy both axis the same size. That is very important because Mach4 and the way AvidCNC has set it up.

Personally, I love having the spindle and plasma in one machine. Sure it was a pian to move the water table until I purchased a 2 ton engine crane and now its about an hour to convert. If I had to remove the spindle to do that it would take about 12 hours and a bunch of test cuts each time to realign things.

Do NOT get the dual heads without the extended gantry. You will hate yourself. I don't think they even offer that option anymore, which is good.

Personally, I love my dual process machine!

By all means, if you got the money, do it....

BUT!!

I have no idea about that tool you are planning on using.

All AvidCNC machines over the 4x4 ring like a bell. They make great woodies but it will leave that ringing effect on the surface of your metal unless you slow waaaaaay down. Just google "3d printer ringing" and you can see an example of what I am talking about. These aluminum extrusion machines are springy and light. Very flexible and it shows at high speeds. You can actually see it in wood too if you know what you are looking for. But with wood its easily removed with a light sanding. Metal? Aluminum? Even a long time in a tumbler with an aggressive medium and you can still see it.

--jb

Eva Foam, so the rigidity of the Avid will work

Yep! You are not going to have difficulty with that. Probably the only thing easier to cut than HDPE.

I enjoy my dual process machine. I am about to put a 20 watt LED laser head on the same axis as the plasma torch. When the fiber lasers come down in price a bit then I will step up to that.