584,879 active members*
5,197 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > SignMaking > Signmaking Topics > Is it my software, machine, bit or ignorance keeping me from engraving sign letters?

Is it my software, machine, bit or ignorance keeping me from engraving sign letters?

I have worked on and off with CNC machines for 20 years. I THOUGHT I knew enough to be dangerous (perhaps that’s a good description for my hubris). I am making a simple whiskey tasting serving board for my son in law and found a font called Blacksword on dafont.com that someone on the CNC one had mentioned. It looks great until I try to mill it out. I’m making letters about .75 of an inch tall, with a 1/4” (6mm) v-carve bit, and it’s making numerous passes and no matter how “deep” I make the cut it’s not looking right. Perhaps I need a fatter bit, but even with the 6mm bit the letters look run together and muddy. Too fat. So I backed off a bit on depth and I then I get ridges in the bottom of the font grooves on the fattest parts of the letters.

I KNOW I’ve seen signs carved like this with similar fonts that look right. But I’m stumped at this point as to what I might be doing wrong.

I’m using GrblGru as my CAM, my home built machine, and a HobbyCNC driver board. Designing in Inkscape, and 6mm v-carve bits from Amazon.

In a nut shell, if I set the depth too deep it muddies the font and it looks all mashed together. Not deep enough and I get partially grooved letters that don’t look proper. I spent all day yesterday messing with settings and bits and didn’t get it worth a dime. Finally switched to a Hershey font and called it good. But I want to figure out the problem if I can.

Looking for some advice from the intelligencia here

Thanks!

Re: Is it my software, machine, bit or ignorance keeping me from engraving sign lette

You did not share any photos of your results. My guess is this is CAM related

Re: Is it my software, machine, bit or ignorance keeping me from engraving sign lette

Good idea to share the files. I will post them with a picture of the results. I DID find a problem I didn't know about until engraving some small stars on a wooden plaque gift. The 5 pointed stars were horribly shaped and not at all even as they should be. Problem: the set screw on the x-axis motor holding the lead screw had loosened and was slipping. A little twist with the screwdriver and some loc-tite to hold it and all was perfect. I will share the project and fonts. That might make it a whole lot easier to navigate!