585,764 active members*
4,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Milling > Weird Wear On Toolholders and Spindle, What Could be the Cause?

Weird Wear On Toolholders and Spindle, What Could be the Cause?

I bought this CNC router new (Freedom Machine Tool, 5x10, 10hp Hiteco Spindle) about 18 months ago.
    Early on, the tool holders and spindle taper started to show a lot of "fretting" wear, which seems to be caused by excessive vibration between the tapers, see the attached photos.
    I don't have a ton of hours running the machine, it runs 1 or 2 days a week.
    I've tried to diagnose the problem, and my current theory is that it's a simple feed/speed issue, but I wanted to get your opinions on it.
    I use 3/8" Amana down-spiral router bits, cutting 3/4" plywood at 300ipm, 18000 rpms, and around 0.7" depth of cut (I cut in 2 passes, a rough and finish).
    According to the Amana spec sheet, this feedrate is a little high, but the machine handles it without any issue and I've never broken a tool.
    Are these feeds & speeds unreasonable? And could they be the cause of this crazy fretting, or should I look elsewhere?

This issue is causing me so much stress, if anyone has any input or ideas it would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0850.jpg   IMG_0846.jpg   IMG_0849.jpg  

Re: Weird Wear On Toolholders and Spindle, What Could be the Cause?

Quote Originally Posted by BenRogers001 View Post
    I bought this CNC router new (Freedom Machine Tool, 5x10, 10hp Hiteco Spindle) about 18 months ago.
    Early on, the tool holders and spindle taper started to show a lot of "fretting" wear, which seems to be caused by excessive vibration between the tapers, see the attached photos.
    I don't have a ton of hours running the machine, it runs 1 or 2 days a week.
    I've tried to diagnose the problem, and my current theory is that it's a simple feed/speed issue, but I wanted to get your opinions on it.
    I use 3/8" Amana down-spiral router bits, cutting 3/4" plywood at 300ipm, 18000 rpms, and around 0.7" depth of cut (I cut in 2 passes, a rough and finish).
    According to the Amana spec sheet, this feedrate is a little high, but the machine handles it without any issue and I've never broken a tool.
    Are these feeds & speeds unreasonable? And could they be the cause of this crazy fretting, or should I look elsewhere?

This issue is causing me so much stress, if anyone has any input or ideas it would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
    The first thing you have to check it if the tool holder taper is fitting the spindle correctly fretting can be caused by poor fitting tool holders in the spindle, the other problem the Tool holder may not be balanced for the RPM you are running
    Mactec54