584,862 active members*
5,152 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Drip feeding Fanuc OM

Hi all,
    We are new to CNC machining and have never drip fed our Fanuc OM controller before. What changes do we have to make to allow MasterCam to drip feed to the OM controller? We have sent small programs from MC to the controller using the RS232 port which were then run from memory.

I was told to drip feed we can use the same port, but need to change several parameters in the controller. Changing these parameters will allow drip feeding, but no longer allow running from memory. What parameters would they be?

We haven't actually tried to drip feed as of yet, so it may work as is, but I wanted to get some more info before we tie up the machine playing around. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMike View Post
    I was told to drip feed we can use the same port, but need to change several parameters in the controller. Changing these parameters will allow drip feeding, but no longer allow running from memory. What parameters would they be?
    I have never heard of not being able to run from memory if DNC is added.
    I believe that all models of the 0 rely on having a switch installed by the MTB or added on by someone that can program Fanuc Ladder, a switch has to be added that tells the CNC to drip feed, this is done by the switch turning on a bit G127.5 in the BMI, which is one of the communication register to the CNC side.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the reply. I agree something has to be changed in the OM like you said, but what are the changes? I will try drip feeding tomarrow and see what happens as is.

Any other suggestions? BTW, what is MTB and BMI?

Thanks, Mike

Any other suggestions? BTW, what is MTB and BMI?
    MTB Machine Tool Builder.
    BMI is the Fanuc Basic Machine Interface, it is the communication means from CNC to the PMC (Ladder) side.
    DNC should be in the descriptions manual, I will see if I can pull it up.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thank you for the information, anything helps! I will give drip feeding a shot tomarrow and reply with the good or bad news.

Mike

Hi: Just my 2 cents; from the Mastercam side of things, don't use subroutines for any of the operations.

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

No luck drip feeding today. I can only receive files from the machine. I can't even get a file from MC into the machine now. There must be a setting that is wrong under communications in MC. I am not sure I would know how to go about drip feeding even if our controller was capable of it. Can anyone give me step by step directions?

Thanks for the help, Mike

Just an update, I can now send and receive programs. I am still working on drip feeding if anyone has any ideas.

Mike

You need the information in the Connection Manual (Function) send me an email address via PM.
    Al.

Albert E.

I sent you a PM Al.

hi gents i am using OM with mastercam but i don't send programs directly from master cam to machine, i use a softwre as an interface between the pc and the machine the software is (MULTI DNC) i belive if u van send from pc to machine and the contrary this means u don't need to (CHANGE ) any thing in the setup either the machine setup or the pc set up, all what i do when i need to use the drip feed i select TAPE mood in the main switch and select send prog in te pc press start icon in the multi dnc software and after i press start in the machine and the program statrt run block by block with out any trouble
    i hope this will help
    thanks

nabil_elbadri,
    I realize now the problem I am having is that there is no Tape/Remote knob on the controller. However, I was told you didn't need this knob to drip feed, but you would be required to manually change a parameter to drip then manually change back to read from memory. I can't seem to get it working with the help of many people, so I am waiting to hear back from the MTB for the final word. Looks like we may need to upgrade the control.

Thanks, Mike

CNCMike,

Hi, just to be sure. If you have a 0MC, D, A, B controller the diagnostic 127.5 must be "1" to have the DNC option turned on; if it is "0" you won't have it. If it is "1" then you just have to do the correct steps to run a program, I you want I can let you know how after you check this diagnosis.

GP.

GPena,
    I have tried several times to change the 127.5 parameter. I was told by several reliable sources there should be a G in front of the line number, G127 (I have read this in the manuals also), but I cannot find this on my control. I also cannot find the same layout shown in the manuals where you select 0 thru 7 as being active (I need 5 to be active). Next to my 0127 I have 0000000010 (I may be off on the zero's).

I have tried making the changes in both parameter and diagnostic mode and I know to be in MDI mode when making changes. I was also told changing the PWE from 0 to 1 and the I/O setting may have to be done along with a change in line 0686.

Every Fanuc manual I have seen has a different approach and everyone I speak with has a different opinion. Fanuc themselves could not give a direct answer. I really just need to know if DNC can be done. If not we will pursue a memory upgrade as our last option.

Thanks for the help guys, Mike

Mike:
    The G shows only the type of diagnostic, on the diagnosis screen you won't see the G; only 127.

You can not change that dgn direct on the diagnosis screen, there must be a button or switch in the operator pannel, maybe in the software operator pannel that turns on this option. If the value of that dgn is what you wrote then the DNC is off.

One quesiton: Can you see the ladder on the screen??? To do that you have to press the [PRM DGNOS] button several times (first time you'll see parameters, then diagnostics, then ladder) If you can see it please search for the adress G127.5 as a coil, if you find it then the DNC option is active, if not; this option is not active. If it's not active you have 2 options, send it for a change and upgrade the memory.

GP.

GPena,
    I do not see the ladder on the screen. We are working on getting pricing on upgrades, but since the machine is a 1991, Fanuc and the MTB haven't been the most helpful. We will see if we hear back from either of them.

Mike

Mike:

Try this, selct [AUTO] mode in the operator's pannel, select the dgns screen and see dgns 127, then press every button in the operator's pannel and see if the signal of 127.5 turns on, if it doesn't then it i for sure that you don't hve DNC installed.

To raise the memory you can cotact MEMEX in Canada, I am sure they can help you. www.memex.ca

Regards.

GP.

I have known some MTB's to put the switch inside the panel.
    Also Tulip Memory are an economic source of Fanuc Mem. upgrades.
    Al.

Albert E.

Hi Al,
    When I spoke with Fanuc about our options they mentioned the aftermarket memory upgrades were not the right way to go. They mentioned Tulip specifically. I don't know if this is to get us to spend money with them, or if they are giving honest advice.

Are aftermarket upgrades popular? Are people having good results? Horror stories?

Also, what type of switch am I looking for? A little dip switch or a toggle switch? Will it be mounted on a board/panel or just a bracket. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for all the help!

Mike

Hi Al,
    When I spoke with Fanuc about our options they mentioned the aftermarket memory upgrades were not the right way to go. They mentioned Tulip specifically. I don't know if this is to get us to spend money with them, or if they are giving honest advice.

Also, what type of switch am I looking for? A little dip switch or a toggle switch? Will it be mounted on a board/panel or just a bracket. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for all the help!

Mike
    I am not surprised at the Fanuc advice, They like to have complete control, Tulip has been around for many years, I think I would have heard by now if any one had horror stories.
    The switch, if any, all depends on the MTB, the one I have seen is a simple toggle sw on a small bracket inside the control cabinet.
    Al.

Albert E.

Page 1 of 3 123