584,866 active members*
5,076 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > CNC Machining Centers > High precision CNC mini router (300x400mm working area)

High precision CNC mini router (300x400mm working area)

Hi,
    This is my first post here after a long time. I'm looking for information about mini routers precision. I wonder if thess machines can work with precisions better than 0.005mm. Also which brands/models are the best suited for working plastics with that precision.

I don't know if this is the right subforum, I'm sorry for that, please feel free to move it to the right subforum if I did it wrong.

Thank you very much in advance.
    Luis Pablo

Re: High precision CNC mini router (300x400mm working area)

0.005mm? None of them. You can find some very expensive VMCs that will hold that tolerance.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thank you for your reply Jim! What's the best precision a mini CNC router can achieve?

I think a really good table top router might hold +/- 0.02mm under perfect conditions. Just to put this in perspective, my 1500KG milling machine will hold +/- 0.01mm if I am very careful with the setup and use very sharp tools, and it has a maximum scale resolution of 0.001mm. 0.001mm scale resolution does not mean it will hold that precision, only that it is possible to read to that precision, but there are many other factors involved.

You really need to understand just how small 0.001mm really is. Most home shops do not have any method of measuring anything closer than 0.01mm consistently. Measuring a part to 0.001mm requires very special equipment in a temperature controlled metrology lab.

My best advice if you want to do high precision work is to buy a milling machine rather than a router.

This Tormach or something like it would be close to the 300x400 work envelope that you want. https://tormach.com/machines/mills/1100mx.html
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thank you very much again Jim! I know the difference between resolution and precision. The pieces I use to produce have a +/- 0.02mm tolerance and this is possible with heavy high precision milling machines, the shop which currently produces these pieces have a very precise and reliable milling machine. But a friend told me I could produce that pieces in a mini CNC router instead a milling machine, he told me the newest table routers are very accurate and capable to produce my pieces. I wonder if one of these new mini routers could eventually work for producing small batches or samples.

Since you understand resolution and precision, then the next parameter is repeatability. If the machine will produce exactly the same part every time, then you can adjust the tool offsets to achieve the tolerance you require.

Mass is always your friend when doing close tolerance work, so a heavy machine is what you want. The stiffness of the overall system is very important also. Best of course is an actual milling machine, but an alternative might be a good quality fixed gantry router. I have not seen too many of these available, but here is one example. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256...apt=4itemAdapt Unfortunately these seem to not be available.

Equipped with servo motors, at least C5 grade ball screws with preloaded double nuts, and precision thrust bearings would probably give you a machine that would make your parts.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi,
    This is my first post here, I am Market Research Associate at Market Research Community i am sharing with you some small details about my research report.

Market Research Community is the leading research industry that offers contextual and data-centric research services to its customers across the globe. The firm assists its clients to strategize business policies and accomplish sustainable growth in their respective market domain. The industry provides consulting services, syndicated research reports, and customized research reports.

https://marketresearchcommunity.com/

Thank you for posting a informative and valuable post for us.
    please keep posting a good content
    https://marketresearchcommunity.com/...fibers-market/