584,842 active members*
4,405 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Any European AVID users? I don't know how to connect to European circuit.

Question Any European AVID users? I don't know how to connect to European circuit.

So I installed my Avid Pro CNC with 8.7Hp spindle.

Well, 3phase 240v connector does not fit the 3phase industrial 440V European connectors neither the single phase adapter.

I've been told by AVID just to remove the NEMA l6 30 plug from the cabling and replace it with a standard European 220v Plug. Well I have no clue which one is the grounding wire, I'm not even sure if you can just replace the cables and it works. I'm afraid that I'll damage the components.

Also going standard 220V will reduce the power of the spindle. I would love to be able to use my industrial plug but all they sent me is a circuit diagram:

https://www.avidcnc.com/support/inst...g/208V_WYE.jpg

I'm so confused and I don't know how to fix this issue. I googled forever but I can't find a solution.

Thank you for your help.

Re: Any European AVID users? I don't know how to connect to European circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by serdarbas View Post

Well, 3phase 240v connector does not fit the 3phase industrial 440V European connectors neither the single phase adapter.

I've been told by AVID just to remove the NEMA l6 30 plug from the cabling and replace it with a standard European 220v Plug. Well I have no clue which one is the grounding wire, I'm not even sure if you can just replace the cables and it works. I'm afraid that I'll damage the components.

Also going standard 220V will reduce the power of the spindle. I would love to be able to use my industrial plug but all they sent me is a circuit diagram:

I'm so confused and I don't know how to fix this issue. I googled forever but I can't find a solution.

Thank you for your help.
    Is the spindle 380v /400V if so your supply can't be 220v/230v to the spindle.

So first we have to know what voltage the VFD Drive, and Spindle motor is.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by serdarbas View Post

Thank you for your help.
    Pay an electrician. It should all wire up just fine. I am in the USA but I run everything off 240v. Now I know how to wire this stuff up so it took me about 15 minutes to make the adjustments.

The 3-phase spindle you have will be a low 3hp unless you supply the full 3 phase.

There are 1 phase to 3 phase converters you can pick up. They run about $500 US in Amazon. They will work just fine off your 250v circuits BUT will draw considerably more power to do so.

You will have about 20% higher power bill as opposed to having actual 3 phase power.

Good luck.

Oh, wow! I had not priced one of these single phase to 3 phase converters in a while. They are in the thousands for a good one. Just get 3 phase run to your shop. Don't screw around with the converters at that price.

Hi,

I don't know if you successfully connected your CNC with european 3 phases, but I did it for mine. If you still have problems, I can help.
    I had to purchase a transformer and connect it accordingly.