585,741 active members*
4,989 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Add Laser to my existing DIY CNC

Mach 3,ESS controller board, Gecko 540 stepper controller.
    I built my CNC over 12 years ago and am ready to add a laser engraver to its capabilities.

A few years ago I purchased a simple laser set up with PS but no way to control the power or the on/off cycle. So all I have done with it was to plug it in once and it does power on.

PS PRODUCT DETAILS:
    CCDSTAR, Model EZ-1225 2018B,
    INPUT: 100-240VAC
    OUTPUT: DC 12 V 2.5A

LASER MODULE:
    Model FA02
    PS 12VDC
    DRIVE MODE: internal ACC
    WAVE LENGTH 445 nm
    OPTICAL POWER 2500mW
    SN. 1804EPXZ

All I want to use this for is laser etching, and I would like to do this without removing any of my present CNC controller system shown above.

Is this add on possible to my existing system, and how to integrate/ wire it up.

Thanks
    Hager

Re: Add Laser to my existing DIY CNC

In order to fire a laser you send it an on/off signal and a PWM signal. PWM drives the laser power. What input signals exist on your FA02?
    Then you need to output signals from the G540. And control those outputs in Mach. Neither one is set up for controlling a laser.
    I would recommend you look at GRBL controllers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    In order to fire a laser you send it an on/off signal and a PWM signal. PWM drives the laser power. What input signals exist on your FA02?
    Then you need to output signals from the G540. And control those outputs in Mach. Neither one is set up for controlling a laser.
    I would recommend you look at GRBL controllers.

Thanks Dean, but that’s exactly what I don’t want to do.
    My four steppers, X,Yslave, Y master, and Z are wired to the G540, which is plugged into the ESS SMOOTH STEPPER.
    The limit and homing switches are wired to the C25S which plugs into the ESS SMOOTH STEPPER

Are you saying I don’t the the right kind of input/output ports?

What is FA02?

I understand that I do need a Laser Controller Board, I think could it could be controlled be the input/output C25S board.

Thanks

Be careful; even a laser pointer can damage your eyes; these cutting lasers are a lot more dangerous. You may be thinking of engraving a piece of aluminum; it can treat that like a mirror and bounce the beam back at you. That's why every commercial laser cutter has a full enclosure with door switches to ensure the power is out when you open it. Please keep safety top of mind when adding a laser to your CNC machine.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Your correct, the smoothstepper has some laser functionality. No clue how good it is or easy to make anything with.

I’ve seen many posts where folks want to use their router as a laser engraver. It’s like using a cnc router and trying to make it a 3d printer. You might be able to get it to do some things but it’s not designed to be a laser cutting/engraving. And your laser diode is very inexpensive so I’m not sure what your going to get out of it.

Why don’t you think about building a CO2 laser cutter? You will find that it has many uses compared to that laser diode that is more like a toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    Your correct, the smoothstepper has some laser functionality. No clue how good it is or easy to make anything with.

I’ve seen many posts where folks want to use their router as a laser engraver. It’s like using a cnc router and trying to make it a 3d printer. You might be able to get it to do some things but it’s not designed to be a laser cutting/engraving. And your laser diode is very inexpensive so I’m not sure what your going to get out of it.

Why don’t you think about building a CO2 laser cutter? You will find that it has many uses compared to that laser diode that is more like a toy.

Not interested in cutting material, just some putting some fine text on some projects.

Hopefully someone can give me some tips on laser engraving using the majority of components I have.
    Thanks
    Haget