584,862 active members*
6,007 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need mazak parameter help

We had to have our Mazak re-initialized after some electronic repairs, and now tool length offsets dont work from tool data page. And it lost the program monitor, start select option. Does anyone have these options working on a V414 with M32b controller who would be willing to share their parameters?? I know its a long shot but had to ask, Mazak doesnt have techs with parameter info for older machines. Thanks

Re: Need mazak parameter help

Did your tool offset style/type/etc change? If so, yes, I can help with that. However, it seems odd that you'd lose that. Most/many parameters are actually written to EEPROM so they shouldn't have been lost. May I ask what type of "electronic repairs" you had done? If you replaced the main CPU board, that would probably cause you to lose everything. I have an M3, not a M32, but they use many of the same boards. If you have an MC161-1 CPU board, which is what I have, it definitely has EEPROM on it. The amplifiers also have EEPROM, so I'm assuming they have their own parameters stored there.... Bear in mind that Mitsu doesn't publish any of this info, so this is home-grown knowledge that may have holes in it!

Yes, it does have the MC161 cpu but that wasnt touched except for putting in a new battery. We had the AC spindle drive rebuilt, then a Mazak tech reloaded the eeprom but that gave us the original parameters. Apparently when I learned to run and set up the machine it had modified parameters that , unfortunately, we didnt download. We have since recovered some of the functions related to tool offsets using a parameter explanation cheat sheet that we bought from amazon of all places (wierd but worth the $20.00 lol). What I need now is the Program Monitor Start Select function because some of our cycle times are very long and it sucks to have to start from beginning after replacing a dull or broken tool, when theres only 2 tools left to run in the cycle. This machine is only used for Stainless steel so Cycles are long and material is expensive.. Does your machine MrMetric have a valid method for restarting at different points in the program when needed?? Thanks for any help!!!

Ah! I think I can help with that, but I'm not positive.... I believe that the restart is an option that isn't available on the main parameter screen... Think, but not positive. I'll have to do some research on this one. Can you do me a favor... When you turn on the machine, try going to the last page of NC SPEC a screen shot of that to me. It might help. The NC SPEC screen (from memory here, so don't quote me) is:

1. turn on machine
    2. Press the ALARM/DIAG button
    3. Next page button (screen key)
    4. NC SPEC button (screen key)
    5. Go to the last page (think there are 3 of them?)

You can send it in a private message, or I'll just send you a message that has my email address on it.

Added on edit.... I guess I can't send you a private message because your profile doesn't allow it. You can send one to me and I'll respond that way.

I should qualify my comments about how to obtain the information.... I'm familiar with the MITSUBISHI MELDAS "off the shelf" implementation. From what I can tell, Mazak had/has(?) a very close relationship with Mitsubishi. For all I know, Mazak is owned by Mitsubishi or there is a large investment there.... On this generation of machines, the controls all seem to have stock Meldas boards in them (such as the 161-1), and for the most part the UI seems to be very similar. However, I have noticed some definite differences when I've poked around pictures on the internet. My guess is that these are probably more on a superficial UI level as Mazak wanted to further customize the control for their needs. My strong hunch is that Mitsubishi engineers actually did all of that work (to ensure preservation of Intellectual Property, as well as just efficient programming) and the foundations are probably identical.

All of this is pertinent because the text you see on your screen, and the buttons you push to navigate around, may be a little different from what I have. However, I suspect that you *do* have the same data someplace on your system. You may need to read some manuals to figure out a way to get to it though. NC SPEC is what it is called on my system, and it is the last page of that that I need a picture of (although.... it probably is best if you just send me a pic of each of the screens for NC SPEC... that will avoid going back and forth).

OK Thanks so much, I'm using a pc. It will take a bit to log in with my cell phone. But i will get pics shortly.

I don't have alarm/diagnosis button, only alarm and it's page is empty. There is no option to share pic here. While scrolling soft keys on the Mazak, I pressed Restart out of curiosity and it looks like it offers the option to key in "N Number" which is perfect because I only use those after tool changes.. I may have found a solution for my issue.. I will try to run it thru all it's paces, tool length, restart, etc tomorrow when boss man gives me some parts to cut. Thanks for your help!! I will update when completed.

I found a picture of an M32 Mazak keyboard and, yes, it is substantially different than what I'm used to... I still maintain that a lot of the code underneath the covers is still the same, though, so I suspect you have an equivalent to NC SPEC page. The first (or maybe second) page of this is where you can get a list of the different cards that are in the system. So, you'll see the 161-1 card and probably a bunch of other MCxxx cards. Certainly an MC852 or MC853 memory board, and likely an MC471 or MC472 card. I you find that in the manual, you can then use the appropriate menu clicks to get to the page on your machine. From there, just press the NEXT page button for the screens I'm interested in.

Of course... If you have the problem solved, then you are golden.

Restart was a no go, it prompted for ProgramNumber, N number, block number, # of repeat cycles? every combo I tried failed.. But I got a lucky break, while reading the manual I found Program Monitor was repeatedly referred to as an OPTION, then while googling Mazak Options, I discovered they are a hardware device with a few for sale on ebay tho the sellers werent very clear as to what options were contained within. OPTIONS come in the form of a ROM cassette that plugs into MCxxx card. Looking inside the control cabinet, sure enough there it was plugged into the MC712 card in a port labeled MEM-A 435. Now I need to find out how to reinstall this device or activate it from control panel but now I know what I'm looking for, MC712 and/or MEM-A 435. My option cassette is labeled MC841.. I feel like Indy Jones looking for lost gold, if only I had a bullwhip.

While trolling the control panel, I pressed the MNT button (maintenance?) on the lower right by the coolant control button,, It gave me a variety of soft key options, version, plc, servo, ladder and HW monitor. HW Monitor is the hardware monitor that shows all the cards installed and sure enough the MC841 is on the list. So I still need to find out how to activate it, or reinstall it.

Usually after a re-initialise you have to reload all the parameters and tool data into the machine. There is a procedure for extracting from the eeprom but can't remember it offhand. I'm sure someone will know it
    Regards Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Mfabricator View Post
    While trolling the control panel, I pressed the MNT button (maintenance?) on the lower right by the coolant control button,, It gave me a variety of soft key options, version, plc, servo, ladder and HW monitor. HW Monitor is the hardware monitor that shows all the cards installed and sure enough the MC841 is on the list. So I still need to find out how to activate it, or reinstall it.
    Good, you are on the right track there.... keep pressing the NEXT key and eventually you will probably come to a screen that just has a bunch of columns with two character values. *That* is what I'm looking for.

As for the 841 card and such... I think you may be barking up the wrong tree there. To be honest, though, it is hard to say for sure. Let me explain.... Mitsubishi sold so many different configurations that it is hard to say exactly what is what. However, I *can* tell you how my machine is configured, and I think it is *fairly* normal.... I don't have the MC numbers in front of me, but the slot on the bottom has an MEM-A board in it. That board has 16 EPROMs on it which are the *firmware* for the system. For all practical purposes, this is the program that your controller is running. However, that is generic. To customize it to a specific machine, specific PLC is developed and compiled. That is then burned onto EPROMs that are inside an MC841 (there are two of them) that plugs into the card with the firmware.

Now, there are a few different variations of the board that contain the firmware, and I honestly don't know what the differences are. And, it is worth noting that your firmware is very specific to Mazak, so it is possible that some of the PLC is embedded inside the firmware. The fact that you don't apparently have an MC841 card makes me think that you probably have your PLC setup inside the firmware EPROMs. This also makes me think that the MC841 might not get you anywhere. Remember... The hardware is all generic, but firmware can change the whole playing field....

The way a *typical* Meldas control works is that there is a "secret* password that allows you to customize the control. You use that to setup the amount of RAM installed (assuming you physically have the RAM), the number of tools you can configure, restart options, number of axis, etc. I am guessing that the Mazak has the same type of setup, and that it is not controlled through EPROMs. But I could be wrong. NONE of this is documented, so it is all a function of half hunch, half luck, and a healthy dose of experimentation.

Hello guys! Does any one have a Parameters (ALL1, ALL2, ALL3)to MELDAS 64?

I have problems with my control TOOL DATA display is not correct

If some one can share I would appretice it