585,733 active members*
5,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Setting of VSIOZ by program

Question Setting of VSIOZ by program

I have a problem with the Z-axis command target point in my OSP-P200L - machine.
    It's loaded by robot and the robot will not enter the machine unless the revolver is at VSIOZ-position.
    The work pieces has different lengths and in order to save time I like to have the VSIOZ-position as close as possible.

Problem is that as far as I know VSIOZ is "read only". Is it possible to set it in anyway by program?

Re: Setting of VSIOZ by program

The Okuma robot interface gives you the option of having the "home position" signal that is sent from the NC to the robot run in one of two ways in regards to axis positions. One is by a position specified in the robot interface parameters. My guess is this is how yours is set so when you make a new Z home position the robot interface it is no longer sending the signal to the robot. The second option is to have it look for the NC axis home positions. Without knowing all of the details of your setup I would guess this is what you need to change to. Alternatively on the robot side you could have it ignore that signal. In our robot fed lathes we use the M180-M183 robot request M codes and in the load/unload sub it always moves turrets to a safe position before calling those M codes, so we ignore the home position signal on the robot side.

Edit; I guess I was wrong, I thought I remembered that if you zero out the axis home positions in the robot interface that it would send the signal when the axis were at NC home position. I just checked one of ours and it does not. I don't know if those robot interface home positions have NC write capable parameters. That would be a question for Okuma/Dealer. Otherwise you will have to ignore the signal from your robot side.

hy propeller indeed, vsioz is readonly, and should remain like that, considering it's purpose

in order to make things work like this, thus using vsioz, you have to create a tolerated behaviour, thus to make the robot work not only at vsioz, but anywhere at vsioz+-tolerance

this can be done by using in program logic, by shifting the curent position with the amount you need

[ example 1, using vzshs ( z shift ) ]
    program
    vzshz = difference
    robot
    vzshz = 0
    program continues

[ example 2, using vszoz ( program/wcs z0 ) ]
    vszoz = 500
    program
    vszoz = 500 + difference
    robot
    vszoz = 500
    program continues

[ example 3, as variant of example 2, but more easy to use]
    v1=500
    vszoz = v1
    program
    vszoz = v1 + difference
    robot
    vszoz = v1
    program continues

the effect of such codes, is that z value will change, without real axis motion

it is up to you to do the math, and calculte the required difference

even more, you can use this : if | difference | > 5 mm then don't continue, thus implement a tolerance control for that difference, so to be sure that the robot won't hit into something

The work pieces has different lengths and in order to save time I like to have the VSIOZ-position as close as possible
    why can't be different lengths handled by same vsioz ?

unless the revolver is at VSIOZ-position
    another idea, is to always index the turret at same real position, only before the robot, regardless of wcs, by using a macro

for specific sugestions, i need more infos / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

You are correct that the VSIOZ is read only...however VZOFZ and VZSHZ can both be written to. That being said, there should be a robot interface page in your machine that will allow settings for position, turret station, etc. that would be required for sending the robot the "home" position needed for entry. There is also the M173/172 that turns off/on the robot interlock. I'm a little confused by your request to use VSIOZ since this isn't typically used for working with robots...is this an Okuma factory supplied robot or is it an aftermarket robot without the Okuma robot interface?

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Thanks for all helping words!
    It's not a Okuma supplied robot. Actually I think it's a good solution to only let the robot enter if the turret is at VSIOZ position. And yes, I know how to change the position on the screen by the machine operator. My aim is to automate and optimize as much as possible. Accordingly I don't want anyone to need to change anything on the operator screen or in the robot program when changing type of work piece. Just load another NC-program.
    Now I've got two solutions.
    None of them good.
    1, set the home position on Z-axis as big as all time safe (loose cycle time)
    2, Have a list for the machine operator to set the home position depending on work piece type. (Manual work and risk of errors)

@deadlykitten. I must admit I'm actually absolutely most working with Siemens, so I still have a lot to learn about Okuma, which means I'll must look closer to your solution, to really understand and predict the effect of it.

if you wish, i will assist you step by step, begining simple, and ending with a solution for your setup

we may exchange programs, photos, etc, like once a day / a few days ... in a short term, it will work

just once you start, you have to try and stick to it

another fast way, is, if you wish, i may conect to your machine, togheter with you run some trials ... may take 1-2 hours, depending on your cycle times, etc, so is a good aporach to simplify your actual program, remove cutting from it as more as possible, so to only run those codes that have to be improved/ kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg