584,830 active members*
5,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question New to the Okuma

Hi all
    Just started a new job and I have been running fanuc machines in those machines we are able to store multiple programs ... i can't seem to be able to figure out how to load multile programs at the moment the machine will only over write the current file (A.MIN)

i have tried this but it has no effect on making a new main program anyone have words of wisdom..

this new machine to me is an OSP U10L sorry I left that info out

much appreciated

$B.MIN%
    O0067(OKUMA OP1)
    (*)
    N1 G00 X25.0 Z25.0
    G50 S2800
    G90 M41 ( LOW RANGE )
    T0101 M08 ( TOOL# OK0510 CNMA-643 80-DEG. O.D. FACE AND TURN TOOL )
    G95 G96 S600 M03
    X4.536 Z1.
    X4.5 Z3.1975
    G73 U500 W30 R5
    G73 P101 Q102 U50 W20 F.009
    N101 G1 X5.0
    N102
    G0 Z1. M09
    X25. Z25. M09
    M02
    %

Re: New to the Okuma

Most of what you want to accomplish can be done with the "," comma. Read FD0:A.MIN,B.MIN or COPY A.MIN,B.MIN or RENAME A.MIN,B.MIN. It is basically old file name , new file name.

What you are doing while inputting appears correct: $B.MIN% should input a new file with the name of B rather than A. If it is not, then you need to check Parameter Bit #12.7 to see if "file name read" is active or not for RS232 CN0:

I usually suggest punching out a program first so as to be sure to get the format right for reading back in. The control can definitely do what you want and can even read in a string of 10 programs naming each one individually as it comes in using the multi-punch/multi read commands.

You can also specify which device to read from/write to although the defaults are usually fine:

READ CN0:A.MIN,MD1:B.MIN
    Devices are CN0:-CN4:, MD0: &MD1:, FD0;,FD1:,etc. if multiple are connected.

NOTE: Uploads and downloads can occur DURING production as EDIT mode is truly a background mode.
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

thank you for the reply... I will attempt to see if i can find the parameters page.. they have no manuals for these machines s, I am new here and am getting used to how they do things here,, lots of Fanuc experience no Okuma's so a lit of a learning curve

we are set up on a network so sending programs to the machines is not a issue

this is how I was explained how it works (the guy showing me has only been here a month longer than I so he is learning as well)

press PIP
    press READ
    press WRITE (enter)
    file goes in machine overwrites what is there

should I
    press PIP
    Press Read
    then type in B.min
    Then press enter

I appreciate you time OkumaWiz

You should be able to:
    PIP
    READ ,B.MIN
    Write (enter)
    File goes to the machine with new file name "B.MIN"

Without the comma, it will try to pull in a file that already has the name B.MIN.

READ A.MIN,B.MIN will try to pull in A.MIN with new name B.MIN

If this is being done thru RS232 (you never said), Then check the parameter as described because it should "see" the filename "B.MIN" as shown in your example and store it in the control under that file name.

BTW, get rid of the O0067 at the top. and your G73 will need a new format.

Here is some sample roughing code:

( OPERATION A2 - ROUGH )
    ( TOOL 1- 0.03125 RAD. TRIGON )
    ( WNMG432MS KC5525 )
    ( ROUGH OD )
    N26 G0 X2.05 Z.05 (NEW CODE FOR E-Z ADJUSTMENT)
    N32 VLMON[01]=1+2
    N34 Z.0444
    N36 G0 X2.
    N38 G85 NROD D.260F.018 U.005 W.005 (ADJUST D & F ON THIS LINE)
    NROD G81
    N42 G1 X.1645 Z.0444 (G0)
    N44 G1 X.3317 Z-.0392
    N46 G3 X.35 Z-.0612 L.0313
    N48 G1 Z-.426
    N50 X.6875
    N52 G3 X.7416 Z-.4416 L.0313
    N54 G1 X.7866 Z-.4806
    N56 G3 X.795 Z-.4962 L.0313
    N58 G1 Z-2.6084
    N60 X.7948 Z-2.6108
    N62 X.784 Z-2.6795
    N64 G2 X.7925 Z-2.68 L.0188
    N66 G1 X1.4075
    N68 G3 X1.53 Z-2.7412 L.0613
    N70 G1 Z-2.805
    N72 X1.8775
    N74 G3 X1.97 Z-2.8513 L.0463
    N76 G1 Z-4.1749
    N78 X2.
    N80 G80
    N82 VLMON[01]=0
    N84 G0 X2.05
    N86 Z.05

Your roughing code starts with G85 and tells it where to find the shape definition with NROD. The NROD G81 is the start of the shape definition and the G80 ends the shape. You'll find the Lap cycle in an Okuma is MUCH more capable than in the Fanuc and does not have the 'stair stepping effect" that the Fanuc does.

Let me know if you need more info than this teaser.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LAP.jpeg  

Just started a new job and I have been running fanuc machines in those machines we are able to store multiple programs ... i can't seem to be able to figure out how to load multile programs at the moment the machine will only over write the current file
    hy as a side note, there are folders ( or paths, or locations ) for storing programs and for current programs

just like on a regular pc, you can have the kit in folder <> final installation folder

such paths, on okuma, are refered to as system devices, and, during runing (auto mode), the control will try to read the data from the main system device and fill up it's buffer; to this device, files can be sent by network, generated/edited near the controller, etc; if main system device storage capacity is low, then is needed to drip/feed, thus sent data direct to machine buffer

i said those, because you made an analogy to fanuc as storing multiple files, and also you said that you sent data to your okuma via network; thus you can keep your programs whereever you like ( on pc, on nc ), as long as they don't stay inside the main system device ( or shared locations under same memory capacity, etc ), or sooner/later you may hit into free memory issues, and this is achieved sooner on elder machines; if you use network to sent data to main okuma device, then be sure to only have inside the nc folder the current program files, and no other previous jobs / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

I know next to nothing about Okuma lathes with Okuma controls, but this much I know....always rename the A1.MIN file so that A1.MIN is available for loading the next program. We only have one Okuma...that I inherited when the other lathe programmer quit. I know people like Okuma controls, but I find them a pain since Fanuc controls are on almost every other lathe we have. Renaming a file on the Okuma isn't hard, but not nearly as easy as on a Fanuc.

Quote Originally Posted by g-codeguy View Post
    I know next to nothing about Okuma lathes with Okuma controls, but this much I know....always rename the A1.MIN file so that A1.MIN is available for loading the next program. We only have one Okuma...that I inherited when the other lathe programmer quit. I know people like Okuma controls, but I find them a pain since Fanuc controls are on almost every other lathe we have. Renaming a file on the Okuma isn't hard, but not nearly as easy as on a Fanuc.
    Not sure how hard it is on a Fanuc controller, but on an Okuma machine (older versions) it is as simple as pressing the "Rename" button, enter the target filename press ",'" (comma) and then enter the New name, hit "Write" and you are done.
    On the newer controllers, highlight the target file, press "Rename" and enter the new filename...
    Not difficult at all.

You have never mentioned what controller you are using.
    Can you provide this info as advice could change depending on the information.
    Okuma, like Fanuc, have brought out many different controllers over the years and considering you are using RS232 to transfer programs, I am guessing that you have an older controller.
    Kitty, remember, not everyone has a late model controller like you do, so talking about folders on the machine is wrong if they have a early controller.

Once you get to grips with Okuma speak, you will find it very nice.

Cheers and good luck in your journey.
    Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by broby View Post
    Not sure how hard it is on a Fanuc controller, but on an Okuma machine (older versions) it is as simple as pressing the "Rename" button, enter the target filename press ",'" (comma) and then enter the New name, hit "Write" and you are done.
    On the newer controllers, highlight the target file, press "Rename" and enter the new filename...
    Not difficult at all.

You have never mentioned what controller you are using.
    Can you provide this info as advice could change depending on the information.
    Okuma, like Fanuc, have brought out many different controllers over the years and considering you are using RS232 to transfer programs, I am guessing that you have an older controller.
    Kitty, remember, not everyone has a late model controller like you do, so talking about folders on the machine is wrong if they have a early controller.

Once you get to grips with Okuma speak, you will find it very nice.

Cheers and good luck in your journey.
    Brian.
    Yes ours is an older lathe. Probably around 20 years old. 700 OSP control, I think. Like I said, renaming isn't hard. Just more to it. Fanuc: Edit mode, put cursor on file name, type in new number, hit Alter, done.

On our older Okuma lathe it isn't quite as simple as hitting Rename. First you have to go into Edit, Extend, Rename, (another step here to get to the file page, but don't remember key and I am home so I can't check), highlight file that's getting renamed, press Write, then continue with your instructions starting with the comma.