585,662 active members*
3,076 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Shopbot Desktop MAX ATC VFD Tripping AFCI

Angry Shopbot Desktop MAX ATC VFD Tripping AFCI

I recently got a Shopbot Desktop MAX ATC with the 1HP Spindle. It's routinely tripping a totally unrelated AFCI breaker in my sons room 2 out of 3 times when it's switched on or off. It doesn't matter what circuit it's plugged into (and I've basically tried them all now).

Has anyone had this issue that can further explain how to fix this?

Can the spindle be run off my predator 3500 inverter generator in the meantime? I need to get up and running 3 days ago.

Thanks

Re: Shopbot Desktop MAX ATC VFD Tripping AFCI

It might be worth trying to run it off the generator, just to see if that breaker trips anyway. It might be putting out enough RFI to affect an unconnected breaker: See: GFCI and AFCI Devices
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Running beautifully off the predator 3500 yea. No trips at all.

Have a vacuube and the spindle cutting now.

Pretty sure that's what is causing the trip and I honestly wouldn't care but my son does when his PC shuts off.

Anyone know a way to filter/isolate/whatever the issue? I don't have a problem using the generator but I'd love to get it working properly anyhow.

Hi,
    inverter driven spindles are notorious for drawing exteremly distorted current rather than a true sinewave. That can and does affect other equipment sharing the same AC supply.
    Large VFD/motor combinations have to have some harmonic distortion reduction equipment or it will fry nearby PCs etc. In some cases the extra circuitry is built-in, at a cost,
    or as a standalone accessory to the VFD.

The simplest of this equipment is a line reactor. A single phase line reactor of 5mH-10mH would solve your problem.

Craig

My problems got even worse.

I switched to metric after setting it up, then everything went haywire. It was dipping -2.48 when the .sbp says -1.

Reset the machine and stayed in inches. Worked very well for a few cuts as a manual tool changer.

I went to set up the ATC and when the X Axis proximity switch is activated (which its supposed to but be ignored during ATC setup) the atc starts moving in and out repeatedly to no end, making it impossible to finish.

Y Motor is constantly clicking like it's locking/unlocking.

Spindle shut off mid cut, then spun back up, then off, then on, etc. Almost damaged a brand new amana 3/8 bit.

Tried to post to shopbot forums but it's needs moderator approval, so you know they won't be allowing that post.

I have been back and forth with support for days now. Their solution is to send me a new ribbon cable for the ATC <-> control board.

My god. 19k shouldn't have these problems.

Update:

Brian Owen, COO of Shopbot came at 10am today and replaced the mainboard after some testing, then re-setup the machine and all is working very well now.

Very Happy!

That's what I call service! Are you next door to Shopbot HQ?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    That's what I call service! Are you next door to Shopbot HQ?
    130 miles away

Quote Originally Posted by SteveD718 View Post
    130 miles away
    What size Kw voltage is the spindle motor and VFD Drive and what is you power supply
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    What size Kw voltage is the spindle motor and VFD Drive and what is you power supply
    It's a Teknomotor ATC41-ISO20
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 294869127_1089407761957574_6460418692049688510_n.jpg   295102700_607709240875665_6500128139489074664_n.jpg