585,735 active members*
4,745 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Computer DNC Issue USB to Serial

I'm working on switching to a newer PC. My problem is the new PC doesn't have a motherboard with an additional PCI slot that I can move my PCI serial board to, so that leaves me to use USB to Serial. I just upgraded a computer in our office and moved my old pc (main office PC) over to be our Fusion 360 pc as well as our machine communication pc. So, I don't want to have to purchase another computer if I don't need to (but I have thought about it). I have used a run of the mill USB to serial cable from Amazon. It will send programs out to the machines but will not receive programs from the machines. I figured the pin setup isn't correct so I got a cable that is made for the situation also USB to serial. I plug that cable in and can't get it to work to either send or receive to my machines. I'm at my wits end working with this. I've wasted tons of hours and have spent 2 months trying to get this figured out. I am using the same switch box and same DNC program. I appreciate any and all help. Thank you.

Current (old setup)
    Windows 10 PC
    PCI Serial board
    Connects to switch box for 4 machines all Fanuc controls

Sending setup 4800 baud, 7/2, Even, Xon/Xoff (this works for all my machines)

Old Setup works great with no issues

New Setup
    Windows 10 PC
    no serial ports/ no open PCI slots
    USB to serial cable needed
    Will use the old switch box

Re: New Computer DNC Issue USB to Serial

If I am understanding your situation correctly, it seems to me that you could leave the 'old' PC to be the machine communication pc, and use the newer PC 'to be our Fusion 360 pc'. That gets rid of the switchbox and USB issues by going back to a working PCI serial board.

That would be the easy fix but the older PC is slowly dying so it does need to be replaced. Plus, I don't have enough room to have 2 PC setups on one desk.

...there are other options. One is Serial to IP or even serial to wireless IP. Then all networked PC's can access the CNC's. Here is an older unit on ebay for windows and Linux
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/33269662761...Bk9SR6jlw6LZYQ

The cost of newer units can be pricey. So, shop around.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by noltbrosinc View Post
    I'm working on switching to a newer PC. My problem is the new PC doesn't have a motherboard with an additional PCI slot that I can move my PCI serial board to, so that leaves me to use USB to Serial. I just upgraded a computer in our office and moved my old pc (main office PC) over to be our Fusion 360 pc as well as our machine communication pc. So, I don't want to have to purchase another computer if I don't need to (but I have thought about it). I have used a run of the mill USB to serial cable from Amazon. It will send programs out to the machines but will not receive programs from the machines. I figured the pin setup isn't correct so I got a cable that is made for the situation also USB to serial. I plug that cable in and can't get it to work to either send or receive to my machines. I'm at my wits end working with this. I've wasted tons of hours and have spent 2 months trying to get this figured out. I am using the same switch box and same DNC program. I appreciate any and all help. Thank you.

Current (old setup)
    Windows 10 PC
    PCI Serial board
    Connects to switch box for 4 machines all Fanuc controls

Sending setup 4800 baud, 7/2, Even, Xon/Xoff (this works for all my machines)

Old Setup works great with no issues

New Setup
    Windows 10 PC
    no serial ports/ no open PCI slots
    USB to serial cable needed
    Will use the old switch box

It’s likely the hardware you are using and compatibility with windows 10.

I can help if you want to call me.
    Greg
    Shop Floor Automations
    619-461-4000