4,647 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: Time to change it up.

Quote Originally Posted by rockaukum View Post
    Mactec,
    Glad I got something correct!
    Anyway, let me explain what I got and tell me if this meets your suggestions listed above. albeit not exactly or pretty but will this work?
    ON the diagram, you can see how the wiring is done as of now. There is also a picture of the 240v ac switch which controls the power to the VFD.
    Basically form the sub panel the power goes through a 240 double pole breaker to the 240v ac switch then from the switch to the VFD. The cable from the VFD to the spindle is shielded and connected to the CNC control box. The shield is grounded right after it leaves the VFD to the metal bracket which is attached to the CNC cabinet.
    Inside the sub panel there is also a single pole 120v breaker. That feeds a switch which controls an outlet. Plugged into the outlet is the power line to the power supply. Also inside the CNC cabinet, I collected all the grounds from the drivers and attached them to the cabinet with a screw. The paint was cleared prior to securing the ground wires. As noted, the wires look like a mess so I tidied them up a little bit.
    So, before I go and tear this thing apart, take a look and tell me if this meets the required items above. I think it is all there but the breakers and switches are outside the CNC cabinet.
    Again, I appreciate all the help, and[as you know, I need it!
    rockaukum
    Attachment 483736
    Attachment 483738
    Attachment 483740
    Attachment 483742
    It's quite confusing what you have done and is not easy to see the best path to take to correct what you already have, so just try some of these things first, the snips are to give you an idea of what you should be doing

That Switch is only rated for 120v it has it stamped right on the front

The Grounding wires are of the incorrect type of wire; you can't use residential wiring / cables for machine electrical wiring

You need to use fine stranded copper wire of equal gauge to the wiring or larger
    All wire cable used needs to be fine stranded and used with crimp fittings for termination.

The Red and Black Cable should be single wires and twisted in each pair, you may be able to twist these cables that you have, this needs to be a tight twist to be affective, this will help with noise

You need to do a Better Ground Bus like the snip I posted all paint must be gone, in an area clear of the Grounding Bus mounting, all Grounds have to go to this Point this means the Main Power supply Ground, VFD Ground the spindle Ground, power supply Ground and the Drive Grounds so make or buy a Bus big enough for everything

The (2) cabinets may need to be Bonded together By Grounding cable or Grounding strap, minimum 10-gauge stranded wire there must be no paint around all Ground points this includes the Shield clamp bracket to the electrical box you can do the Ground corrections first and test to see if this has helped before doing this

The Shield also needs to be clamped the same way at the spindle end of the cable also, the clamp should be copper or designed to be used for shield Groundling what you have used for a clamp is not correct, a P-Clip is best which you can make it must be tightly clamped around the shield
    Mactec54

Mactec,
    Thanks for the information.
    The switch is stamped with 120v but it also has 277v. I purchase this switch at CES (consolidated electrical supply) and requested 220v. I was informed this was a double pole switch that will work with 220? So Does it need replacing?
    As for the red and black wires... Are you referring to the wires from the drivers to the motors? If so, those wires are shielded and in a casing. Am I to remove the wires and twist? Not too sure on what wires you are referring to.
    I'll get a Bus for the grounds so they all come together in one spot.
    On the bottom of the vfd you can see a metal bracket which is mounted to the CNC box. The spindle wire casing is stripped there and grounded to the bracket, to the cabinet. Do I need to create a separate ground to the new bus?
    Sorry for my ignorance. But I am willing to learn and am thankful you another's are there, willing to help!
    rockaukum

Mactec,
    Thanks for the information.
    The switch is stamped with 120v but it also has 277v. I purchase this switch at CES (consolidated electrical supply) and requested 220v. I was informed this was a double pole switch that will work with 220? So Does it need replacing?
    As for the red and black wires... Are you referring to the wires from the drivers to the motors? If so, those wires are shielded and in a casing. Am I to remove the wires and twist? Not too sure on what wires you are referring to.
    I'll get a Bus for the grounds so they all come together in one spot.
    On the bottom of the vfd you can see a metal bracket which is mounted to the CNC box. The spindle wire casing is stripped there and grounded to the bracket, to the cabinet. Do I need to create a separate ground to the new bus?
    Sorry for my ignorance. But I am willing to learn and am thankful you another's are there, willing to help!
    rockaukum
    Not if the switch has the rating for 240v

If they are shielded, then you would not be doing any twisting of the wires, have you clamped the shields correct at both ends the shield won't do anything unless they are correctly terminated

It looks like you have cables from the power supply which are Red and Black it is the wrong type of cable to be using this should be twisted pair the right gauge and fine stranded wire

All PE Ground wires can only be Green or Green/Yellow what you have used is not suitable for Ground use

You must have a Ground wire from the VFD Drive to the Ground Bus everything that has or needs a Ground wire they all go to the Ground Bus

Post a close-up photo of the shielded cables you are using
    Mactec54

Mactec,
    Sounds like the switch is Okay, good news.
    The wires are shielded and I have enclosed photos of the different wires used. The two strand wires I put in for the limit switches. Other than those and the Spindle wires, all else was already in the machine when I acquired it.
    The power supply cables.... they say "speaker wire on them so I'm guessing this is not good. Let me know what wire to use and I will replace them next.
    On the ground wires, they are also included in the photos. The green wire was being used at the motor and the drivers and the builder (?) used the last remaining wire as the ground (black wire). I understand that all grounds are green so Can I get away with coloring the ends? Perhaps using shrink tubing?
    On the VFD ground, What is the best way to ground it to the bus within the box?
    Again, Thanks!
    rockaukum
    Attachment 483958
    Attachment 483960
    Attachment 483962
    Attachment 483964
    Attachment 483966

Mactec,
    Sounds like the switch is Okay, good news.
    The wires are shielded and I have enclosed photos of the different wires used. The two strand wires I put in for the limit switches. Other than those and the Spindle wires, all else was already in the machine when I acquired it.
    The power supply cables.... they say "speaker wire on them so I'm guessing this is not good. Let me know what wire to use and I will replace them next.
    On the ground wires, they are also included in the photos. The green wire was being used at the motor and the drivers and the builder (?) used the last remaining wire as the ground (black wire). I understand that all grounds are green so Can I get away with coloring the ends? Perhaps using shrink tubing?
    On the VFD ground, What is the best way to ground it to the bus within the box?
    Again, Thanks!
    rockaukum
    Attachment 483958
    Attachment 483960
    Attachment 483962
    Attachment 483964
    Attachment 483966
    The Bracket does not look like it has a good metal to metal bond to the cabinet the rest of it will pass but not what you would call ideal

None of the cables used where designed to be used for power cables, and if that is your shielded cable in the roll it is not shielded cable.

There is no substitute for a Ground wire, and no excuse for not having the correct color wire and cable for a build like this

Paint must be removed anywhere there is something to Bond metal to metal

The Main Power Supply Ground needs a Wire to the Bus in the Cabinet

There needs to be a Ground wire from the VFD Drive to the Bus in the Cabinet

The Spindle needs its Ground Wire connected to the Bus in the Cabinet

The Red and Black twin cable if it will twist to a tight twist then it would be ok, as it is it will be emitting EMI noise

Try and lay the wires in the box so they are not crossing over each other, even if you have to change how the mounting of the boards are
    Mactec54

Mactec,
    I'll remove all grounds and give the metal cabinet a good scraping to remove all paint to bare metal.
    The cable in the round container is shielded, this cable is used for the limit switches only.
    I'll take care of the ground wire coloring to ensure no-one misunderstands they are indeed ground wires.
    I am getting a bus bar and will directly connect all grounds to it including main power, and the vfd.
    I'll twist the power cables to reduce EMI.
    If things come up short. I'll set off with rearranging the cabinet.
    I'll check back with an update once I get to this.
    Thank you!
    rockaukum
    Attachment 484018

Mactec,
    I'll remove all grounds and give the metal cabinet a good scraping to remove all paint to bare metal.
    The cable in the round container is shielded, this cable is used for the limit switches only.
    I'll take care of the ground wire coloring to ensure no-one misunderstands they are indeed ground wires.
    I am getting a bus bar and will directly connect all grounds to it including main power, and the vfd.
    I'll twist the power cables to reduce EMI.
    If things come up short. I'll set off with rearranging the cabinet.
    I'll check back with an update once I get to this.
    Thank you!
    rockaukum
    Attachment 484018
    Thats a foil shield which is not suitable for machine building that is for signal cable only, and where there is no cable movement, it may be ok for the limit switches, but clamping the shield to Ground will be a problem with that type of cable

It says right on the reel what it is used for, just remember not all cable is created equal, and how each can be used

If you are using any shielded cable it has to be braided, and from a quality manufacture, just twisting wire pairs will do a better job than the shielded cable you have
    Mactec54

Mactec,
    Okay, I'll dig deeper into that. Today I decided to remove all components from the box. I am rearranging the layout and hope to clean up the wires within the box.
    Question for ya: I am going to replace the power wires to the drivers. What size and type of wire should I be looking for?
    Thanks,
    rocakukum

Mactec,
    Okay, I'll dig deeper into that. Today I decided to remove all components from the box. I am rearranging the layout and hope to clean up the wires within the box.
    Question for ya: I am going to replace the power wires to the drivers. What size and type of wire should I be looking for?
    Thanks,
    rocakukum
    How many amps can the drives use what is the Amp rating of the Power supply this will determine the wire AWG

The cable you have Red/Black if you can split it without exposing and wire, then twist it this could still be used
    Mactec54

The power supply is 24V / 15a
    The motors are Automation technologies KL23H286-20-8B Which are 425oz/in and 2.8a
    I decided to change out the wires so I have a little extra length as I am going to try to rearrange the layout. In doing so, I hope to clean up the cabinet a little.
    Thanks,
    rockaukum

The power supply is 24V / 15a
    The motors are Automation technologies KL23H286-20-8B Which are 425oz/in and 2.8a
    I decided to change out the wires so I have a little extra length as I am going to try to rearrange the layout. In doing so, I hope to clean up the cabinet a little.
    Thanks,
    rockaukum
    IT looks like you could use quality 16 AWG stranded wire pair twisted

Yes, it looks like you could put the power supply horizontal on the side wall of the cabinet

You can get this wire from McMaster-Car here is one of the part numbers, just remember not all wire and cable are created equal
    Mactec54

Page 3 of 3 123