585,676 active members*
4,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Need help with servo wiring

Need help with servo wiring

Hello, my name is Strahinja
    Im very new to cnc machines so i dont know much about them. Im fine with all of the mechanical stuff and most electronics work but i just dont understand how to wire in servos. The servos in question are nema 34 jmc servos 400w. Havent bought them yet btw im still working on the design, are drivers for them all i need or is there something else involved. I picked them because they are a cheap option with enought torque sense i will be using a belt reduction because of the rotating nut design

Heres a link
    https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600566145601/60JASM504230K-17B-SC+JAND4002-20B-HOT-SALE-400W-AC-220V.html?__sceneInfo=%7B%22cacheTime%22%3A%221800 000%22%2C%22type%22%3A%22appDetailShare%22%7D&from =Android
    3 normal 1 has a brake
    Theres also i wiring diagram there. Im just hoping i dont have to use anything special just a pc with a break out board.
    Thanks in advance

Re: Need help with servo wiring

Hi,
    these cheap Chinese servos are just that...cheap.....with really poor documentation. I have no reason to believe they wont work but the documentation is so poor that you may struggle to wire them up.

Theres also i wiring diagram there. Im just hoping i dont have to use anything special just a pc with a break out board.
    No, servos require a motion controller, and a PC on its own IS NOT a motion controller. You need to add software like LinuxCNC, then the PC behave as a motion controller with its output
    at the parallel port into which you'd plug your breakout board. If you wish to use Windows OS then you'd choose Mach(3 or 4) or UCCNC, but then you'd have to use and external motion
    control board like an Ethernet SmoothStepper ($190) or a UC300 ($160) in addition to your breakout board. Note that Mach and UCCNC are both commercial software and you have to pay for them.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    these cheap Chinese servos are just that...cheap.....with really poor documentation. I have no reason to believe they wont work but the documentation is so poor that you may struggle to wire them up.

No, servos require a motion controller, and a PC on its own IS NOT a motion controller. You need to add software like LinuxCNC, then the PC behave as a motion controller with its output
    at the parallel port into which you'd plug your breakout board. If you wish to use Windows OS then you'd choose Mach(3 or 4) or UCCNC, but then you'd have to use and external motion
    control board like an Ethernet SmoothStepper ($190) or a UC300 ($160) in addition to your breakout board. Note that Mach and UCCNC are both commercial software and you have to pay for them.

Craig
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I saw a few videos with people using mesa boards (7i76e) and connecting servo drivers to them. So yea no bob anymore. Would that work. I also dont see any controllers for their products so im not sure if i need it. I watched dr d-flos video and he uses just that. Not the same servos or drivers so im not sure. Here is a link of his video. Im still quite new to this
    https://youtu.be/bPM9XwzF2LY

Re: Need help with servo wiring

Hi,

I saw a few videos with people using mesa boards (7i76e) and connecting servo drivers to them. So yea no bob anymore. Would that work.
    Yes, that would work. The PC must be a realtime Linux OS running LinuxCNC software. The motion control is done by the PC and the Mesa board is like a mega
    parallel port, and does not require another breakout board.

A lesser solution is Mach3 running a parallel port. a PC, and it must be a 32bit desktop PC running Windows 7 or Windows XP runs Mach# and Mach3 Pulse Engine
    and the resulting pulse streams output via a parllel printer port and a breakout board. Machs Pulse Engine/parallel port is slow and has restricted IO (17 inputs and outputs),
    but is one of the few solutions that runs on Windows.

Craig