I'm currently shopping for my first CNC mill. It'd be used in my garage shop for my hobby/side hustle knife production. Many of my parts will be steels typically found in knifemaking as well as some softer metals and composites. Most part sizes would likely start around 6"x2"x <1" thick so would certainly fit in the 440 envelope. I'd like to do some milling on hardened blades too, not sure if that's possible on a 3/4hp 440, maybe with the right carbide and speeds and feeds.

I'm torn between the 440 and the 770. The 440 better fits my budget, I could probably stretch things for the 770 but would not have much left in the budget to start buying tooling and fixture supplies.

I'm also looking at used machines. I've gone to inspect a Novakon NM200 but that thing is much larger than I expected in terms of footprint (the big work volume is very tempting though). I'm still not sure about the Novakon since it's a bit of a mess and needs a fair amount of work. I'd also have to move it myself, no big deal but still a day of work and the risk of moving it. The manufacturer doesn't have nearly the reputation and support that Tormach seems to have. From what I've ready, Novakon also appears to be on the verge of closing shop. The price for this used Novakon is roughly 1/2 the cost of a new Tormach 440 optioned similarly as the Novakon (stand, chip pan, no power draw bar, flood coolant). The price may be one of the only pluses.

Since I've seen the NM200 in person, what I'd really like to do is find someone in my area that has a 440 or 770 that would be gracious enough to let me into their shop to check out. What kind of beer do you like? .

I think seeing a 440 and/or a 770 in person would help me make a decision.

Anybody know how to find local Tormach users?

Thanks!