585,597 active members*
3,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Investment Cast or CNC Machined Aluminum Parts

I'm looking to get QTY 2x of the shown part made. It can be made from any aluminum alloy, cast or machined. The part weighs 1.6 kg. The finish can be electroless nickel or chrome plating.

Thanks,
    Neal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BF-1 v10.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	484569

Re: Investment Cast or CNC Machined Aluminum Parts

Quote Originally Posted by SolaranglesLLC View Post
    I'm looking to get QTY 2x of the shown part made. It can be made from any aluminum alloy, cast or machined. The part weighs 1.6 kg. The finish can be electroless nickel or chrome plating.

Thanks,
    Neal
    For just 2 parts you might want to look at 3D printed, unless it has to be a solid metal part.
    Mactec54

Hi Neal - to be cast the mould will cost more then the parts at a qty of 2. But these days a machine shop will belt that out easy on a 5 axis machine. But before you do that you will need to find a plater that has the specialty of electroless Ni or chrome plating aluminium. Once you solve that find the machinist. Peter

note - that's a wired surface what was it modelled in?

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Neal - to be cast the mould will cost more then the parts at a qty of 2. But these days a machine shop will belt that out easy on a 5 axis machine. But before you do that you will need to find a plater that has the specialty of electroless Ni or chrome plating aluminium. Once you solve that find the machinist. Peter

note - that's a wired surface what was it modelled in?
    Investment casting does not require a mold you just need a wax model of the part which can be 3D printed or machined, plating is not a problem anything can be plated you can process aluminum more than one way, Electroless Nickel then chrome is a simple process
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec - Yes I understand the processes are simple but finding shops and people that can do it is not simple. Otherwise Neal would have had it made at the corner shop by now. Peter

Hi Mactec - Yes I understand the processes are simple but finding shops and people that can do it is not simple. Otherwise Neal would have had it made at the corner shop by now. Peter
    Electroless Nickel you can do yourself it's a simple safe process (kits and chemicals are available for all type of plating) 3D printers are everywhere no need to look very far to have this done, sometimes op's just need the right information to give them a direction they can try and see what works best for them. this could be made on a 3axis router an added 4th axis would make it easier, 5axis is not needed, a 3D printer is only 3axis which can make this part
    Mactec54

But these days a machine shop will belt that out easy on a 5 axis machine.
    But at what price? Aprox 2.73 grams per sq centimeter, or 586 cm3- almost the size of 2 baseballs... or a bit larger than life size. Likely the 3D printed casting recommendation would be cheaper- vastly, if the minimal foundry equipment is already on hand.

Please email drawings and CAD models to: [email protected] and I will get back to you with a quote as soon as possible! Thank you, Lee Ort Elevated Manufacturing Solutions Elevated Manufacturing Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ-ABC View Post
    Please email drawings and CAD models to: [email protected] and I will get back to you with a quote as soon as possible! Thank you, Lee Ort Elevated Manufacturing Solutions Elevated Manufacturing Solutions
    So, do you do the machining I don't see anything about inhouse machining on your web site
    Mactec54

@mactec54

Yes, we do some contract manufacturing in house but it is not the main focus of our company. I hand pick which manufacturing projects we take on and I enjoy doing more art related work such as this!

Hello,

Hope you are doing well!

This is Eva, Project Manager of Best Prototypes, a reputable prototype manufacturer in China. I am writing to see if there are any possible for us to be your supplier?

We have the services for your parts.
    -CNC machining (3 axis. 4 axis. 5 axis).
    -3D printing (SLA, SLM, 3DP,FDM).
    -Vacuum Casting (silicone Mold),
    -Fast Tool / Die casting.
    -Machining (Bending,Punching,Cutting,Welding).
    -Injection mold

If you have projects that need to quote, you can send it to my email, then attach the materials, quantity, process and finish you want.
    I will give you a free quotation as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
    Eva.

Email address: [email protected]