584,841 active members*
4,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > VF-2SS 2011 Alarm 105 at startup?
Page 1 of 2 12

Exclamation VF-2SS 2011 Alarm 105 at startup?

"Alarm: 105 Z SERVO ERROR TOO LARGE

Haas Alarm Description:
    Load on Z-axis Servomotor has exceeded parameter 37 Z-axis Max Error. Servos are turned off and you must push RESET to clear the alarm and turn on the servos. Dull cutting tools or an incorrect program is exceeding the Max Load for this axis. Vertical mill: Servo brake may not be disengaging. 24VDC is needed to release brake. Power for servo brake is supplied from Trans/Brake PCB P5/P9, or on I/O PCB P78/P79 when servos are powered on. Verify power to AMP +/- 12 325VDC Buss."

I've reviewed some other posts on this subject, but most seem to occur during process.
    Mine just happened at startup after lunch.

Where do I start? Limit Switch?
    Keep it at Sesame Street level, I'm not a machine tech, lol.

Re: VF-2SS 2011 Alarm 105 at startup?

Now have a 163 alarm.

The Z drive box has neither a fault nor power light.

And there is a small red led on the battery board (upper left facing into cabinet)where 5v is indicated. (Don't know if that is normal)

Should I put some blocking under the spindle? And should it be snug or allow an inch or so?

Quote Originally Posted by No_Joy View Post
    Should I put some blocking under the spindle? And should it be snug or allow an inch or so?
    If the Brake is engaged there would be no need for a block under the spindle, is the Zaxis in a clear area above the table if so nothing to worry about as the spindle can never go low enough to hit the table, unless you have a tool in the spindle, which should not be there when you are just starting up your machine

It sounds like the Drive has Failed, are there no lights on the Drive??

Check the Bus Voltage
    Mactec54

Thanks for your reply.

There are no lights that are on, on the Z Drive box.

My concern with blocking the spindle is two fold: 1: I have no idea what's wrong. It seems like the problem is expanding and I don't need the z crashing down into a vise. 2: I presume that every time I try to clear the alarm the z axis will continue to get incrementally lower...? Right? Or that the brake might fail? Idk.

I will take some pics moving forward.

My question rn is primarily about safety, so I can develop a plan of attack to source the problem. Is this the right forum for this? idk.

So as previously mentioned, I would like to hear some opinions on if I should put something under the spindle? And if so, how much space I should allow between the spindle and the blocking. And what to expect as I try to clear the alarm(s)...i.e., will the spindle drop slightly lower and then jump back up (as it seemed to appear to do the first time I tried to clear the alarm)...or will it continue to drop lower and lower each time I try to clear the alarm? And again, if so, is there a way to raise it back up?

Pics inbound hopefully.

Thanks for your reply.

There are no lights that are on, on the Z Drive box.

My concern with blocking the spindle is two fold: 1: I have no idea what's wrong. It seems like the problem is expanding and I don't need the z crashing down into a vise. 2: I presume that every time I try to clear the alarm the z axis will continue to get incrementally lower...? Right? Or that the brake might fail? Idk.

I will take some pics moving forward.
    The spindle can't come crashing down, so not sure why this is of any concern, the servo motor has a brake so it can't move until power has released the brake, which is a 24vdc to the servo motor, if the servo drive has no lights, then it has failed, so with power off the Zaxis can't move down, trying to make something work that is broken is only asking for trouble, you can't clear a fault if the servo drive has no lights on.

If you are not electrical Savey, then you will need to have Haas service, even if you get a replacement servo drive there is no warranty on the new servo drive if you replace it yourself and they cost, there are other tests that need to be done before you can just replace a servo drive
    Mactec54

My question rn is primarily about safety, so I can develop a plan of attack to source the problem. Is this the right forum for this? idk.

So as previously mentioned, I would like to hear some opinions on if I should put something under the spindle? And if so, how much space I should allow between the spindle and the blocking. And what to expect as I try to clear the alarm(s)...i.e., will the spindle drop slightly lower and then jump back up (as it seemed to appear to do the first time I tried to clear the alarm)...or will it continue to drop lower and lower each time I try to clear the alarm? And again, if so, is there a way to raise it back up?

Pics inbound hopefully.
    You are dealing with the Bus Voltage this is the only safety issues you are likely to have, as I posted you can't clear the alarm, until the servo Drive is replaced, and all the voltages checked that they are correct before installing the new Servo Drive

You should know that even if the Zaxis did come all the way to the bottom of its travel, it normally can't hit anything unless you have a vice under the spindle or a tool in the spindle
    Mactec54

I haven't experienced this before and don't know the potential outcomes. Thank you for clearing that up.

Any reasoning as to why alarm 105 has disappeared and 163 is now present?

I realize you seem certain that it's the drive, and I'm thankful for your advice...but I've also spent a considerable amount of time reading a lot of other threads on this very issue and there seem to be a few other possibilities I need to check off the list.

The 16992 code shows up if I hit the clear twice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo_2022-08-14_17-46-41.jpg   photo_2022-08-14_17-46-48.jpg   photo_2022-08-14_17-46-53.jpg   photo_2022-08-14_17-47-03.jpg  

photo_2022-08-14_17-47-07.jpg   photo_2022-08-14_17-47-11.jpg  

LVPM?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo_2022-08-14_17-46-58.jpg  

May I assume I can't swap amplifiers because of the dissimilar amps?

May I assume I can't swap amplifiers because of the dissimilar amps?
    All the voltages have to be checked before any amps could be changed out, if they are the same amp rating changing an amp on one of these Haas machines could end up with (2) dead amps if the correct procedure is not followed

Need to see some photos of the amps, your photo in the last post does not show they have to be sized to suit

You can check the Haas website for trouble shooting

It could be just a cable that are causing your problems, check for chip around the proximity sensor on the Z axis

Has someone changed the machine Parameters

How are you Powering this machine, (Power Supply) and how long has it been running
    Mactec54

This is for the 105 fault.

https://www.haascnc.com/service/trou...ing-guide.html

163 fault. could be to do with this as well so there are lots of things to check

https://www.haascnc.com/service/trou...ing-guide.html

If you are having a Brake problem, call Haas to see if you have to block the Z axes
    Mactec54

Thank you . I'll start with the sensor I suppose.

The z ball screw will not be free to turn with the brake on, correct?

"Need to see some photos of the amps, your photo in the last post does not show they have to be sized to suit"

The Z amp is 45, the others are 35.

"It could be just a cable that are causing your problems, check for chip around the proximity sensor on the Z axis."

The proximity sensor was dirty/dusty and I cleaned it, but no metal that I could see. I disconnected/inspected the cables to it and the Z motor. All at least appeared good.

"Has someone changed the machine Parameters"

No, but I was thinking about reinstalling them. Not sure if I can get to debug mode with this alarm tho.

"How are you Powering this machine, (Power Supply) and how long has it been running"

208 3PH. Been running on this connection for a year.

The z ball screw will not be free to turn with the brake on, correct?
    No, the Ballscrew can't turn unless the Brake has failed or has power on it.
    Mactec54

"Need to see some photos of the amps, your photo in the last post does not show they have to be sized to suit"

The Z amp is 45, the others are 35.

"It could be just a cable that are causing your problems, check for chip around the proximity sensor on the Z axis."

The proximity sensor was dirty/dusty and I cleaned it, but no metal that I could see. I disconnected/inspected the cables to it and the Z motor. All at least appeared good.

"Has someone changed the machine Parameters"

No, but I was thinking about reinstalling them. Not sure if I can get to debug mode with this alarm tho.

"How are you Powering this machine, (Power Supply) and how long has it been running"

208 3PH. Been running on this connection for a year.
    That main supply would be fine, just check the all the Phases are close to the same, check the Transformer has been set up for your voltage and the Bus Voltage must be checked

No, you should not change the Parameters
    Mactec54

The legs on the main power supply check out. Very balanced.

Page 1 of 2 12