584,865 active members*
4,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Maintenance in General > Maintenance DIY Discussion > Spindle warm up routine - with or without toolholder or tool

Spindle warm up routine - with or without toolholder or tool

I just finished my ATC build, and plan to utilize warm up routines.
    I completed writing and testing one such routine for the CNC itself, and that is working well. I am now writing one for my spindle.

My question is: should I warm up the spindle as is, with only a balanced tool holder in place, or with a tool holder, precision ER collet, and an end mill?
    As is often the case, the manufacturer videos, user videos, and online articles I have explored to date have examples of all three of the above.

I have a 24K RPM 2.2Kw water cooled ATC ISO 20 spindle. I am just starting out, and have little of my own milling experience to date, so I would be happy to hear from anyone with experience to share on this topic.
    Insights from users of this type of spindle in particular would be valuable with respect to their best practices for warm up routines.

Thank you,

Tom

Re: Spindle warm up routine - with or without toolholder or tool

Quote Originally Posted by TMToronto View Post
    I just finished my ATC build, and plan to utilize warm up routines.
    I completed writing and testing one such routine for the CNC itself, and that is working well. I am now writing one for my spindle.

My question is: should I warm up the spindle as is, with only a balanced tool holder in place, or with a tool holder, precision ER collet, and an end mill?
    As is often the case, the manufacturer videos, user videos, and online articles I have explored to date have examples of all three of the above.

I have a 24K RPM 2.2Kw water cooled ATC ISO 20 spindle. I am just starting out, and have little of my own milling experience to date, so I would be happy to hear from anyone with experience to share on this topic.
    Insights from users of this type of spindle in particular would be valuable with respect to their best practices for warm up routines.

Thank you,

Tom
    When doing the first warmup / run-in, you should not have a tool in the spindle, after the spindle is run-in, there should be not need, to have a warmup for your type of Grease filled Bearing spindle, it won't hurt anything to use a warmup, this will just reduce the life of the spindle Bearings

You will find all kind of answers to this question, so after you have done the factory run-in, (which is just dispersing the grease in the Bearings) there is no need for any warmup after, it won't hurt anything to do this more than once, but a warm-up every time you use it is not needed
    Mactec54

Thank you for the reply and information - your point about reducing overall bearing life with unnecessary warm-ups is well taken.

Perhaps I will limit the use of a short warm up routine for after times of more prolonged inactivity. I would prefer to run it without any tool holder/tooling in the spindle (which from your previous answer seems to be acceptable), since the spindle will be without a holder/tool from the previous day(s).

Quote Originally Posted by TMToronto View Post
    Thank you for the reply and information - your point about reducing overall bearing life with unnecessary warm-ups is well taken.

Perhaps I will limit the use of a short warm up routine for after times of more prolonged inactivity. I would prefer to run it without any tool holder/tooling in the spindle (which from your previous answer seems to be acceptable), since the spindle will be without a holder/tool from the previous day(s).
    Yes, that is a good idea when a spindle is shut down after a long High speed run the grease will move, so after a long shut down that would be good practice to do a normal warm-up, up to the RPM range you are going to be using, any warm-up should only be up to the RPM you will be using
    Mactec54