585,982 active members*
4,776 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sodick Short Circuit Error

Hello, I have a Sodick A320D EX21 that is having an issue. When you try to run at max settings I get a short circuit error, if I lower the settings and keep Amps to about 8 or lower it will run all day no worries. As soon as I increase power it will SC again. Sodick have suggested a few fixes like changing main power cables to tank and also cables to T&B heads but nothing has worked. They have also tried changing some boards but no difference, I think they are out of ideas so was wondering if anyone has ever seen this problem before?
    Regards Glenn.

Re: Sodick Short Circuit Error

Quote Originally Posted by GlennV View Post
    Hello, I have a Sodick A320D EX21 that is having an issue. When you try to run at max settings I get a short circuit error, if I lower the settings and keep Amps to about 8 or lower it will run all day no worries. As soon as I increase power it will SC again. Sodick have suggested a few fixes like changing main power cables to tank and also cables to T&B heads but nothing has worked. They have also tried changing some boards but no difference, I think they are out of ideas so was wondering if anyone has ever seen this problem before?
    Regards Glenn.
    What do you mean by MAX settings? Are you talking like MAX SF?

By Max settings I mean what is recommended in the cutting condition book for the steel I'm cutting. For example 50mm thick steel should cut at about 2.5 to 3.0mm/min at about 32V and 15 Amps and it always has done that, but now I have to reduce the settings to get the Amps to about 8 which means the cutting speed will be about 1.8mm/min, then it will cut without any Short Circuit error. As soon as I try to increase any setting to obtain full speed again it will Short Circuit straight away.
    Thanks Glenn.

By Max settings I mean what is recommended in the cutting condition book for the steel I'm cutting. For example 50mm thick steel should cut at about 2.5 to 3.0mm/min at about 32V and 15 Amps and it always has done that, but now I have to reduce the settings to get the Amps to about 8 which means the cutting speed will be about 1.8mm/min, then it will cut without any Short Circuit error. As soon as I try to increase any setting to obtain full speed again it will Short Circuit straight away.
    Thanks Glenn.
    That is strange....I would think maybe the power cables too, they can get tears in them and do weird things occasionally but if you have already tried that and it didn't work....Are any of your rollers slipping while the wire is running? Also always a good goto check is your Power Contacts in the heads....Are they in good condition? Could be worn fairly bad or even cracked which can cause headaches.

When you are burning are you cutting with High Pressure?

Yes have changed power contacts so all good, wire not slipping. This has been happening for at least 6 months now so we certainly have tried all the simple things that were recommended from Sodick early on. So far I think its cost me about 3k to try all the things they suggested but nothings worked. To me its got to be something failing under load but how to find something like that I don't know and neither does Sodick.
    Thanks Glenn.

Quote Originally Posted by WIRESLAVE View Post
    When you are burning are you cutting with High Pressure?
    Yes using high pressure

Yes using high pressure
    Damn, thats really unfortunate nothing is working and yeah I wouldn't quite know where to start looking either...Have you swapped any boards out? Or if you have a good back-up of the machine settings and parameters you could try to restore it and see if there is any difference.

Have you swapped any boards out?
    Yep tried about 4 or 5 different boards still did same thing.

Have you tried cutting a different thickness part and get the same error? Sorry not much help, I feel your pain.

Have you tried cutting a different thickness part and get the same error? Sorry not much help, I feel your pain.
    Yep does same thing.

One of my Sodicks had an issue where it kept alarming out when doing the codeless pick-ups. Tried a few things and ended up switching out the CF Card (Hard drive) and that took care of it. I had to do some software updates along with it though.

Hi, is your problem still present or sorted?

HI, I WAS HAVING ISSUES WITH ST CODE EVEN WITH CUTTING AIR(WATER) BUT, ONLY WITH COND. C900'S WHICH IS A PICA CIRCUT USED FOR FINAL PASS. THE TECH FIXED MY ISSUES BY CHANGING 5S BOX THAT IS LOCATED OUTSIDE AND BEHINHD THE WORK TANK. MY MACHINE IS ABOUT 20 YEARS OLD. SOME HOW DIRT BUILT UP IN THIS BOX AND OVER HEATED CAUSING WIRES TO MELT.