584,800 active members*
4,425 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

About the CPU and CAD work.

Speaking to a guy today he has been working with the Solidworks online training. I need to inform I am using SharkCad. Really interesting he said that Solidworks, only uses one core in a CPU loading it up. So when choosing a good PC for Solidworks, looking for a CPU with heaps of cores is not to advantage at all.

I popped a laptop a few weeks ago and am getting some cash back (refund). I have been looking around at the latest gaming laptops. RTX30** series graphics, Gen 4 7gb/sec SSD, Dual ram, the full deal.

But - after the conversation about Solidworks and the CPU I dont know what I am looking for to be best for my money now? Any computer pros out here that could shed some light on what I should do? Intel? Ryzen? Latest CPU with minimum cores?

Thanks

Re: About the CPU and CAD work.

Gaming rigs are only really capable if you do single small items. If you do assemblies they're a waste of time. It's not so much the CPU that is the issue. It's more the GPU. A strong graphics chip is essential.
    Mine is a few years old fitted with a 4gb nvidia 1050ti GFX chip and it has its slow down/crash moments. When it comes to any simulation of a toolpath it has a nightmare.
    The i7 cpu itself is barely worked.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Gaming rigs are only really capable if you do single small items. If you do assemblies they're a waste of time. It's not so much the CPU that is the issue. It's more the GPU. A strong graphics chip is essential.
    Mine is a few years old fitted with a 4gb nvidia 1050ti GFX chip and it has its slow down/crash moments. When it comes to any simulation of a toolpath it has a nightmare.
    The i7 cpu itself is barely worked.
    Hi. Thanks for that. Yes I do understand that. Remember what I said about cores and only one working for Solidworks.

The gaming setups I have been looking at NZ are only focused on the GPU - right in the front of their advertising, some of the Max P options are packed inside these laptops running at 165w. Ive been looking at the RTX3070 P and RTX3080 which are about in my price range and will definitely do the job. Couple the rig with a Gen 4 SSD, and I need that speed because I have no trouble with simulations more auto-save holding up design time on large assemblies. My question was about the CPU, and I have listened to someone who knows his stuff I believe it does count. The 1050ti came out in 2016 I am looking at 6/8Gb GPUs now.

What I learned today, was detail counts. Was hoping someone might expand on that for me.

Look for a CPU with as few cores as possible and a faster clock speed for Solidworks. Look for computers with fast SSDs and Intel or Ryzen processors.