584,863 active members*
4,975 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Testing RS232 port

G'day all,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to test a RS232 port on a machine. I have a mill with Heidenhain controller that i have never been able to either send or receive programs I know that on a pc you can bridge 2 terminals and it will send back what you type but i have no idea how to do thic on the machine. It is an older tnc360 controller

Thanks
    Regards Bob

Re: Testing RS232 port

Typically only a 3 wire cable is only needed, the handshake is jumpered out both ends, Is this what you have?
    Do you have 9 pin both ends or 9 & 25?
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have 25 pin at the control. I have tried a usb cable that works fine on the Mazak and get nothing. I have tried all configurations of cable and parameter settings and still no connection. Someone mentioned that TNC remo doesn't work on this controller so i tried TNC server and also downloaded Easy dnc and used the parameters they suggested and the cable they suggested but still doesn't work. I even replaced the RS232 chips on the board but still nothing
    Regards Bob

Do U have the manual? It's on the HH site for download. There are thie info how to set the parameters for transmition.
    and tncremo works fine with 360.

Yes i have the manual and have followed that. Funny thing is i downloaded Easy dnc free trial to try that. I configured the cable how they said. No go.Then double checked the pinouts and they were wrong. Still no go. Changed parameters To the ones that were originally on the machine. Now i can send and receive all the programs on the machine. Tried TNC remo and TNC server. Nothing. I also changed over to the Moxa to send via ethernet and no good even though i could ping the unit. I will have another play tomorrow with the Moxa. I might try Predator or Cimco as well now that i know it does actually work.
    Thank you for your help everyone
    Regards Bob

In remo U have to also set proper protocol.
    Probably u have VME set or other net protocol which indeed won't workwith 360. U need to go deeper and set older protocols. With ME or FE incorrect set u will be able to send or recieve programm only depending on configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by steryd View Post
    In remo U have to also set proper protocol.
    Probably u have VME set or other net protocol which indeed won't workwith 360. U need to go deeper and set older protocols. With ME or FE incorrect set u will be able to send or recieve programm only depending on configurations.
    Everything has been set numerous times and different settings. Now that i know this cable works even though its different configuration i will have another play with settings in Remo and go from there
    Regards Bob

Does anyone know pinout from 25pin male to 9 pin female. I am trying to establish communication from dmu 50m with heidenhain TNC 310 with 25 pin DNC to pc. I tried few cables without success but i am worried that i will fry something if i make mistake with wires. I have usb to rs232 on pc. On heidenhain manual there is only 25 pin to 25 pin. TNCRemo doesn't work with FE connection so i have to use TNCServer

I had success today with my cable. tested it with TNCServer and works like charm. I have sent files from machine to pc and vice versa. I will attach pic of cable
    Last edited by Dadobojanic; 09-11-2022 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Small tumbnail pic when uploading to forum

Just for anyone interested i finally managed to connect to cnc but not with Heidenhain TNC Remo or server. I tried Easy dnc remo and used 3 wire cable and works fine. Tried TNC Remo and server again once i knew it was working and no go so obviously there is something wrong with settings somewhere but i have no idea where. I have tried all sorts. Looks like i might end up buying Remo DNC
    Regards Bob

Do you have the hand-shake pins jumpered out each end. ?
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Do you have the hand-shake pins jumpered out each end. ?
    RTS and CTS are jumpered on both ends and DTR, DCD and DSR are jumpered on the machine side 25 pin
    Regards Bob