584,833 active members*
5,647 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Anyone used/using Vevor 2.2kw VFD ? model A2-8022

Anyone used/using Vevor 2.2kw VFD ? model A2-8022

Currently I have a 1.5kw Huanyang VFD and its been ok - but I wonder if it's underpowered, or it's started overheating, or something is wrong. It's cut out twice on me during jobs in maybe the last 30 hours of running - so I'm thinking about replacing it with a 2.2kw VFD.

I could go for another Huanyang, but right now funds are super tight, and the Vevor 2.2kw VFD is only £64 from their UK website (vs £110 huanyang on ebay) - so just wondering if anyone else has experience with this VFD.

Huanyangs are good, because there's loads of youtube videos on programming them and wiring them up to various controller boards - but there's not much on youtube about Vevor VFDs, searching here for Vevor only gets me one hit and it's not about a VFD, I'm curious why?

thanks!
    Kevin.

Re: Anyone used/using Vevor 2.2kw VFD ? model A2-8022

Quote Originally Posted by n0f8r View Post
    Currently I have a 1.5kw Huanyang VFD and its been ok - but I wonder if it's underpowered, or it's started overheating, or something is wrong. It's cut out twice on me during jobs in maybe the last 30 hours of running - so I'm thinking about replacing it with a 2.2kw VFD.

I could go for another Huanyang, but right now funds are super tight, and the Vevor 2.2kw VFD is only £64 from their UK website (vs £110 huanyang on ebay) - so just wondering if anyone else has experience with this VFD.

Huanyangs are good, because there's loads of youtube videos on programming them and wiring them up to various controller boards - but there's not much on youtube about Vevor VFDs, searching here for Vevor only gets me one hit and it's not about a VFD, I'm curious why?

thanks!
    Kevin.
    The first thing you have to look at do you have the power to run it a 2.2Kw will need a a minimum of a 25A mains power supply for it to run correct, you may find that your 1.5Kw has a power supply problem how is it wired, how many amps is the circuit it is on, and what VFD Drive parameters have you set

You should not use YouTube as most setups are incorrect, they can be a helpful as a guide only, most don't know any more than you do, that make these videos

Vevor is not as good as what you have, it's a new player in the market that does not make anything, they just rename rebranding of other Drives and Spindles Etc.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The first thing you have to look at do you have the power to run it a 2.2Kw will need a a minimum of a 25A mains power supply for it to run correct, you may find that your 1.5Kw has a power supply problem how is it wired, how many amps is the circuit it is on, and what VFD Drive parameters have you set

You should not use YouTube as most setups are incorrect, they can be a helpful as a guide only, most don't know any more than you do, that make these videos

Vevor is not as good as what you have, it's a new player in the market that does not make anything, they just rename rebranding of other Drives and Spindles Etc.
    Help me out with the breaker rating please Mac - I have run, and do still run, VFD's at 2.2kw on a 16 amp circuit with no concerns...?

Quote Originally Posted by luke peter View Post
    Help me out with the breaker rating please Mac - I have run, and do still run, VFD's at 2.2kw on a 16 amp circuit with no concerns...?
    Your 2.2Kw if running on 3Phase that would be ok, if you are using single phase then that circuit would not be acceptable, you would be right on the edge of circuit overheating and no margin for any overload or spindle startup current draw

For Single Phase 22A would do it but you can't get a 22A Breaker so a 25A circuit would be required, for single phase your input amps are1.732 x the output then you have to add the required safety factor for electrical code requirements, this gives you the circuit wire size and the Breaker

Running it like you are unless you have the Parameters in the VFD Drive set correct, the VFD Drive won't be able to draw enough current on the 16A circuit to run the spindle correctly, without overheating the circuit, over time it will fail
    Mactec54

Luke - in South Africa your mains voltage is 230V like here in the UK - Mac's mains voltage in America is normally going to be 120V which is presumably how he's getting his 25A requirement.

That makes sense. thanks Mac and n0f8r

Luke - in South Africa your mains voltage is 230V like here in the UK - Mac's mains voltage in America is normally going to be 120V which is presumably how he's getting his 25A requirement.
    No, this is not correct

Single Phase mains voltage in the USA is 120v/240v so no difference to anywhere else in the world 240v single phase is what is normally used for any VFD Drive install if they don't have 3Phase supply in the USA 120v can be used for Spindles up to 1.5Kw with a 20A circuit

Here are the specs from some VFD Drive manufactures Hitachi VFD Drive specs have the highest Breaker requirements @ 30A for 2.2Kw for single phase supply, which has been the normal referance that most use, this means the has to be sized correct for 30A rating
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ABB VFD Drive Requirments.jpg   Hitachi VFD Wiring 2.2Kw VFD Drive Single Phase Supply.jpg  
    Mactec54

That makes sense. thanks Mac and n0f8r
    It should not make sense because it is incorrect what n0f8r has posted, look at VFD Drive manufactures specs it as simple as that.

What I posted is calculated from the Spindle Motor specs which most are 220v, whatever the countries supply voltage is, has nothing to do with what is required for the motor being driven, the VFD Drive is Programed for the Motor being used not what the countries mains Power supply is.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It should not make sense because it is incorrect what n0f8r has posted, look at VFD Drive manufactures specs it as simple as that.

What I posted is calculated from the Spindle Motor specs which most are 220v, whatever the countries supply voltage is, has nothing to do with what is required for the motor being driven, the VFD Drive is Programed for the Motor being used not what the countries mains Power supply is.

It's just Watts law, Power = Volts x Current. Higher voltage needs less current for the same power - North America is 120v normally - you can get 230V but it's not the baseline there. Take a random sample of voltage out of any American wall socket and more than 9/10 of them will be 120V

So in the on most US wall sockets on single phase a 2.2kW power device will draw 2200watts / 120v (rms) = 18.333 amps

Here in the UK and in South Africa single phase mains voltage is 230v so a 2.2kW power device will draw 9.5amps

I will accept that you know far better than me Mac, I still struggle to see how something that draws 6-10A want 30A of protection, but I am a mechanical engineer, not an electrical one, and the science is akin to witchcraft for me.

I will accept that you know far better than me Mac, I still struggle to see how something that draws 6-10A want 30A of protection, but I am a mechanical engineer, not an electrical one, and the science is akin to witchcraft for me.
    Its, simple and very basic math, the 10A output of your motor is 3Phase your supply is only Single Phase you are missing some Phases, so you need to make up for that lose or you would have to derate the VFD Drive which would give you a lower current output and a poor performing motor the chart below gives you the same numbers, so this is what everyone should be using for cable and Breaker sizing if using Single Phase supply, your 3Hp motor could draw up to that max current on startup, although most VFD Drive have a softstart which will limit that max current draw at startup

With any of the 2.2Kw HS spindle like you have, a 25A circuit would be sized correct.

There is no magic here just basic electrical math and electrical code requirements
    Mactec54

It's just Watts law, Power = Volts x Current. Higher voltage needs less current for the same power - North America is 120v normally - you can get 230V but it's not the baseline there. Take a random sample of voltage out of any American wall socket and more than 9/10 of them will be 120V

So in the on most US wall sockets on single phase a 2.2kW power device will draw 2200watts / 120v (rms) = 18.333 amps

Here in the UK and in South Africa single phase mains voltage is 230v so a 2.2kW power device will draw 9.5amps
    We would all wish it could work like that, that would be correct if the VFD Drive was to output Single Phase, which they can't, they only output 3Phase.

You obvious don't know how Single Phase to 3 Phase works or how VFD Drives work, or you would see what you are posting is incorrect.

The standard in the USA is 240v every residence and small business, this is their Main supply, so forget about the 120v there is no difference in your power supply, except for your supply is 50Hz and the USA is 60Hz

The specs I posted are what the Manufacturers of VFD Drives, have as their requirements, it is easy enough to calculate to get the same numbers as they do, just know what is being talked about, before posting incorrect information, education in the subject would help you understand what is happening and why this is a requirement for circuit cable and Breaker size
    Mactec54