584,829 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Need ideas

Need ideas

Ok folks I need help. We have a okuma lathe with a back spindle and live tools. We have a 304 steel rod that needs to be turned down to a .045 dia about 5 inches back. I know this is a job for a screw machine. I know this is not ideal but the boss took the job on anyways and I have to figure it out. My idea was to push the material from the back spindle into the front spindle in some sort of sleeve with a live endmill right up next to the spindle cutting the od as it's being pushed in. Kind of like a screw machine. Any other more plausible ideas?

Re: Need ideas

hy danrandall there is an okuma forum arround here : https://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/

if i got it right, you need to deliver o1.14 x 127 mm ?

your idea seems intereseting another, is that you may position your 2nd spindle at 10 mm away from main spindle, and use a swiss od tool, so to turn the materal; thus, like this, the final surface will be discontinued, but may be acceptable

to reduce the surface discontinuation, use h7 stock and prepare your both chucks for low tir

is easy with the main spindle, as you can use 5-6 mm stock, but your slave spindle will need to clamp on that 1mm dia, with low tir :
    ... you could use a small tool to turn your jaws in 2nd spindle, but requirement to make it work are a bit too high, so another is to mill your jaws instead of turning; still complicated, but more stable, as a o1mm endmill is more resistant than a carbide boring bar for o1mm hole; once both chucks can clamp with low tir, and are aligned, you may run them in sync
    ... another aproach, is to use a collet chuck in your 2nd spindle, like an er, and you simply squize the nut by hand, so to make it fit; how there is play between jaws, chuck, collet, and the collet center may shift depending how much you squize the nut, etc, this may lead to missalginment to your main spindle axis; in such a case, don't sync the spindles, but keep the 2nd one steady

if you will ever go on with this part, you will be running arround in circles for a while / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg