584,802 active members*
4,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TC3 gear change timeout

Recently, when shifting from LO to HI gear, say 1000 rpm to 7500 rpm, the shift has been timing out. I have to re-enable the drives, re-home, and then it's good at full speed. Shift down again and try to come back up and it times out. I suspect I may need to blow out a line or something. Anyone experienced with this issue? I had the issue a few months ago and it freed up. The machine sat for a few months, and now it's being a pain again. I'm planning on tearing into the pneumatics tomorrow... I can't remember the last time I checked the lubricator level. I figured that would be a good place to start. I'm open to ideas.

Re: TC3 gear change timeout

Lubricator was full of oil. Can't recall when I last topped it up. Maybe it's not working. I pulled some lines and added a drop or two of oil. Cycled the gearbox for an hour or so. Lots of failures. Right now I'm running parts and resetting the drives every few parts. I'm hoping that it will improve. I have to get this job done before I can tear into it.

I ran a couple dozen parts and never once had a timeout issue shifting from HI to LO but going from LO to HI would timeout every other time. After re-enabling the drives and homing the carousel the spindle would start up at full speed immediately without any need to shift or complete a shift. I thinking the issue may not be the change cylinder but rather a sensor someplace. Any ideas?

I'm beginning to suspect my spindle encoder may be the cause. Today I'm running parts that are all in HI gear, no speed changes, and my drives are turning off at the END of my program. The parts are complete. No issues during tool changes. The logs show the error "FAIL Spindle Not Up To Speed In Time." I find this odd that it's happening at the end of the part having successfully changed tools prior. Now I'm really stumped.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6758.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	485060

Ok, I think I have this fixed. In MDI if I run S0M3 the spindle was hovering around 2 to 3 rpm. That's a lot of drift. My understanding it should be 2 rpm or less to prevent tool change issues. The manual suggested the drift can be adjusted in C1-11 on the Yaskawa 626VM3C spindle drive. So I started the spindle at zero rpm and adjusted C1-11 until the RPM was a steady 1 rpm. When I started it was P03 and I settled on -03.

If I time the spindle drift it's taking about 43 seconds to make 1 revolution, so it's still a bit over 1 rpm. When I started it was only taking 20 seconds per rev which was a solid 3 rpm.

I haven't run very much but in my limited testing this appears to have corrected the spindle speed timeout. Fingers crossed.

...dont you love it, when you start answering your own questions.

Been there---done that, or did I double check that other damn thing.
    DJ.