584,842 active members*
4,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Torchmate > THC and Physical Z axis?? 2400+1900=$4300???

THC and Physical Z axis?? 2400+1900=$4300???

Is there a package price? It seems as though there would be some redundancy of parts in there? Or does the THC run on different rails and rack then the physical z axis would?

What exactly is included in the THC other then the controller? I think its funny they put this in their online catalog then didn't include a pic of the actual parts:
    "Some manufacturers are vague about what their height
    control is. Some are a lot less ‘automatic’ than others.
    Insist on seeing clear, understandable photos of exactly
    what you are getting. The less they tell you about it, the
    less you are probably getting."

What about the probe sensor? You need a physical Z for that right?

we have both.

the athc is a head that mounts to the gantry that has a z-axis on it. it has a sensor for determining the force on that axis so it can touch off the work piece (zero itself before each cut) and move up to the set torch height. it also has a box that controls it and acts as the interface.

the 3rd axis is a heavier-duty third axis with more travel.

it doesn't seem like they could have integrated the two without either 1) making the unit really expensive, or 2) making some performance sacrifices.

The Arc Voltage Height Control system (AVHC) consists of the control box, cables, and lifter station with motor for mounting a standard Thermal Dynamics/Hypertherm/Miller machine torch. This unit's sole function is Plasma Torch height control, via manual jogging mode and automatic arc voltage control.

The Physical Z-Axis is used for Routing and for a probe sensor as well. The Price you are referring to is actually a package price for the Z axis with motor and Bob Cad software for programming 3d routing movements.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Torchmate View Post
    The Arc Voltage Height Control system (AVHC) consists of the control box, cables, and lifter station with motor for mounting a standard Thermal Dynamics/Hypertherm/Miller machine torch. This unit's sole function is Plasma Torch height control, via manual jogging mode and automatic arc voltage control.

The Physical Z-Axis is used for Routing and for a probe sensor as well. The Price you are referring to is actually a package price for the Z axis with motor and Bob Cad software for programming 3d routing movements.
    Hi,
    How much is all of this if I already have Bobcad?
    Mike

Thanks Mike. So why is it necissary to have a motor on the physical z and the AVHC? I'm guessing its because it would be cost prohibitive to have a VHC system for those that already have a physical z and those that don't and its much simpler for the controller this way. To clarify, when i hear people talk about a floating head that is basically what the same mechanical structure as your avhc but just has a switch for material contact and no motor for motorized movement? Or am i wrong?

Also what is the voltage control resolution? I'm guessing +/- 1 volt.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasco View Post
    Thanks Mike. So why is it necissary to have a motor on the physical z and the AVHC? I'm guessing its because it would be cost prohibitive to have a VHC system for those that already have a physical z and those that don't and its much simpler for the controller this way. To clarify, when i hear people talk about a floating head that is basically what the same mechanical structure as your avhc but just has a switch for material contact and no motor for motorized movement? Or am i wrong?

Also what is the voltage control resolution? I'm guessing +/- 1 volt.
    The pysical Z axis motor is a standard stepper motor controlled by our Torchmate Drivers software, and the driver box that the X and Y axis is controlled. This is so that we can do 3 dimensional work using 3 axis.

The motor on top of the AVHC Lifter Station's sole purpose is for adjusting the torch up and down, and is controlled independently from the machine via it's own control box. The resolution is +/- 1 volt on the AVHC.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

Re: THC and Physical Z axis?? 2400+1900=$4300???

I have the 2x4 growth series machine. How do you set the z axis motor with torchmate driver software as mentioned in the above post. I have to use 3 motors to control the x and y axis. The software will not let me set a 4th motor signal.