584,833 active members*
5,486 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 1.5 kw spindle motor trips out on internal motor overload
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

1.5 kw spindle motor trips out on internal motor overload

I am in the process of building a small CNC router for woodworking, at least I was in the process. This whole spindle motor debacle has put a screeching halt to my projects.

I originally purchased a 1.5 kw, 220 volt water cooled spindle motor from Vevor complete with VFD. The VFD would not communicate with my controller (Rattmotor RMHV3.1) so I purchased a new VFD.

The new VFD is a TECO Westighouse L510, 230 volt, 1.5 kw unit.

I set the correct motor parameters into the VFD -
    Motor Rated Current = 8 amps
    Motor rated frequency = 400 Hz
    Motor rated speed = 24000 RPM

Right from the start the VFD would trip out while the motor was spooling up giving an error message OL1.

I ordered another motor thinking perhaps I somehow damaged the first one and I get the same result.

The VFD manual suggests the following causes:
    * Voltage setting V/F mode too high?? I dont know what this means
    * Motor rated current set incorrectly. It is set at 8 amps.
    * Load too heavy. The motor is running under no-load conditions

I measured the resistance between the phases on the motor and get around 1.6 ohms across all phase pairs.
    I put a clamp on ammeter on the conductors going to the motor and get around 11.5 amps on each phase.

Can anyone help me to interpret the V/F ratio settings and what should the correct settings be?

Re: 1.5 kw spindle motor trips out on internal motor overload

Quote Originally Posted by BertZ View Post
    I am in the process of building a small CNC router for woodworking, at least I was in the process. This whole spindle motor debacle has put a screeching halt to my projects.

I originally purchased a 1.5 kw, 220 volt water cooled spindle motor from Vevor complete with VFD. The VFD would not communicate with my controller (Rattmotor RMHV3.1) so I purchased a new VFD.

The new VFD is a TECO Westighouse L510, 230 volt, 1.5 kw unit.

I set the correct motor parameters into the VFD -
    Motor Rated Current = 8 amps
    Motor rated frequency = 400 Hz
    Motor rated speed = 24000 RPM

Right from the start the VFD would trip out while the motor was spooling up giving an error message OL1.

I ordered another motor thinking perhaps I somehow damaged the first one and I get the same result.

The VFD manual suggests the following causes:
    * Voltage setting V/F mode too high?? I dont know what this means
    * Motor rated current set incorrectly. It is set at 8 amps.
    * Load too heavy. The motor is running under no-load conditions

I measured the resistance between the phases on the motor and get around 1.6 ohms across all phase pairs.
    I put a clamp on ammeter on the conductors going to the motor and get around 11.5 amps on each phase.

Can anyone help me to interpret the V/F ratio settings and what should the correct settings be?
    You can't measure the output of a VFD Drive without using a special Meter designed to do the job, the reading you got was false

What is your supply Power and Circuit Amperage this is the first thing to look at.

VFD Drives are very easy to get to work with most controllers, what controller are you using

You need more Parameters than that set to run these spindles, just from that page you posted there are 3 that need to be set, there will be others do you have a PDF of the manual

01-02=400

01-09=120

01-11=10
    Mactec54

Attached is the user manual for the L510
    Attached Files Attached Files

Attached is the user manual for the L510
    This is roughly what you need to get up and running

Input Power Wiring L1 (Load Hot) and L3 (Neutral) Earth /Ground Wire to Ground Terminal

00-00=0

00-01=0

00-02=0

00-05=0

00-06=1 (this may need to change)

00-11=400

00-12=400

00-13=120

00-14=10 (Acceleration Adjustable)

00-15=10 (Deceleration Adjustable)

01-01=220

01-02=400

01-08=120

01-11=10

02.00=4

02-01=8

02-03=24000

02-04=220

02-05=1.5

02-06=400

02-07=0 (Change to 1 once all of these Parameters have been set and it will Auto Tune setting some of the motor Parameters a little different)
    Mactec54

Dear Mactec

I really appreciate that you have taken the time to assist me with my VFD issues. I have gone through all the parameters that you have listed and programmed in your suggested values.

When I try to input values for the following parameters here is the result:

01-02 = 400 Will not accept this value and returns Err2 message; Parameter setting error

01-08 = 120 Will not accept this value and returns Err2 message; Parameter setting error

When I power the unit up, the number 120 is displayed.

When I press the run button, CL is displayed after 2 sec. Inverter overcurrent warning

Dear Mactec

I really appreciate that you have taken the time to assist me with my VFD issues. I have gone through all the parameters that you have listed and programmed in your suggested values.

When I try to input values for the following parameters here is the result:

01-02 = 400 Will not accept this value and returns Err2 message; Parameter setting error

01-08 = 120 Will not accept this value and returns Err2 message; Parameter setting error

When I power the unit up, the number 120 is displayed.

When I press the run button, CL is displayed after 2 sec. Inverter overcurrent warning
    There is something wrong if you can't use those Parameters as they are 2 of the most important Parameters in the whole setup

Yes 120 should be displayed when you start up that =7200 RPM your spindle minimum is 100=6000RPM 120=7200RPM is much safer for these spindles

The ERR2 means we have to mess with some other Parameters to make that work

Disconnect the spindle and we will try and get the VFD Drive up and running, there is a possibility there may be a problem with the spindle has it been wired correctly, does the 4th Pin have continuity to the spindle body

U=Pin 1
    V=Pin 2
    W=Pin 3
    Pin 4=Ground

What is your Power supply Voltage and circuit Breaker Amperage??

00-05=1
    00-06=1 these it says have to be both the same according to the fault, I will look at the others to see where the problem may be
    Mactec54

The over current could be a problem with the Spindle, did you run it with the other VFD Drive, if so, did you set all the needed Parameters, if you did not have the correct Parameters set, this can damage the spindle windings
    Mactec54

Hello mactec

Yes I did run the spindle motor with the original VFD. It seemed to work quite well. The main problem is that it would not communicate with my controller and I had to start-stop and set the speed from the keypad. This is not what I wanted. So I ordered this VFD hoping that the situation would improve. Now I cannot even get the spindle motor to run. But wait! There's more!

My thought process followed along the same lines as yours, so I bought another spindle motor. Damn, this is getting expensive!

The new spindle motor reacts exactly as the original spindle motor - trips on overload.

Now to replay to your last set of questions. The line voltage coming in to the VFD is 240 VAC (measured). The feed comes from a 20 amp double pole breaker. I also have a pair of fast blow 20 amp fuses in line just before the leads connect to L1(L) and L3 (N). Voltage was measured across L1 and L3.

I measured 1.8 ohms across the windings on both motors. The ground pin is NOT connected to the case.

00-05 and 00-06 cannot be the same! 00-05 is presently set at 0, when I try to canged it to 1 I get the dreaded ERR2 display.

Likewise 00-06 is currently set to 1. Tried to change it to "0" and got the ERR2 message.

I have reached out to Marshall Wolf Automation in order to get a refund for this POS. I am considering replacing it with a Hitachi or Fuji Electric.

It cannot be this hard to get a drive up and running - there's something very wrong here.

Hello mactec

Yes I did run the spindle motor with the original VFD. It seemed to work quite well. The main problem is that it would not communicate with my controller and I had to start-stop and set the speed from the keypad. This is not what I wanted. So I ordered this VFD hoping that the situation would improve. Now I cannot even get the spindle motor to run. But wait! There's more!

My thought process followed along the same lines as yours, so I bought another spindle motor. Damn, this is getting expensive!

The new spindle motor reacts exactly as the original spindle motor - trips on overload.

Now to replay to your last set of questions. The line voltage coming in to the VFD is 240 VAC (measured). The feed comes from a 20 amp double pole breaker. I also have a pair of fast blow 20 amp fuses in line just before the leads connect to L1(L) and L3 (N). Voltage was measured across L1 and L3.

I measured 1.8 ohms across the windings on both motors. The ground pin is NOT connected to the case.

00-05 and 00-06 cannot be the same! 00-05 is presently set at 0, when I try to canged it to 1 I get the dreaded ERR2 display.

Likewise 00-06 is currently set to 1. Tried to change it to "0" and got the ERR2 message.

I have reached out to Marshall Wolf Automation in order to get a refund for this POS. I am considering replacing it with a Hitachi or Fuji Electric.

It cannot be this hard to get a drive up and running - there's something very wrong here.
    Yes, there is something not right with that VFD Drive, it should not be that difficult to set up

The Spindle must have the 4th Pin Grounded you can't run it unless it is Grounded, this is very dangerous. below is a snip of what you have to do if your spindle is water cooled it's a little different if you have an Air Cooed Spindle, but still has to be done before you apply any Power, this is quite common for some of these Spindle to not have the Ground connected.

Your Power supply is all good there should not be any Fues in these lines if anything you should be using a Breaker so the VFD Drive can be isolated in the Cabinet if need be.

Put your original VFD Drive in place, and I will help you get the remote control working, almost all VFD Drive have the same setup for remote control so there must be a way to get it working with your control or you will have the same with all the VFD Drives you try

Do you have the manual for the first VFD Drive you used if you post it, I can see how it needs to be controlled, and what Machine Control are you using
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes, there is something not right with that VFD Drive, it should not be that difficult to set up

The Spindle must have the 4th Pin Grounded you can't run it unless it is Grounded, this is very dangerous. below is a snip of what you have to do if your spindle is water cooled it's a little different if you have an Air Cooed Spindle, but still has to be done before you apply any Power, this is quite common for some of these Spindle to not have the Ground connected.

Your Power supply is all good there should not be any Fues in these lines if anything you should be using a Breaker so the VFD Drive can be isolated in the Cabinet if need be.

Put your original VFD Drive in place, and I will help you get the remote control working, almost all VFD Drive have the same setup for remote control so there must be a way to get it working with your control or you will have the same with all the VFD Drives you try

Do you have the manual for the first VFD Drive you used if you post it, I can see how it needs to be controlled, and what Machine Control are you using
    Grounding the case should not affect whether or not the motor will run. This is mainly to protect me or some other unsuspecting person from touching the case or CNC frame in the event one of the phases shorts to the case. But yes, I should make the modification.

Fuses are recommended by the manufacturer in this case. I would never rely soley on a molded case circuit breaker to protect the electronics. Response time for a fast blow fuse is typically around 2 milliseconds, breaker response time is on the order of 0.02 to 0.05 seconds.

Unfortunately I no longer have the original drive. I gave it to a friend who uses it for a koi pond pump. The manual is written in Chinglish and was not downloadable in .pdf form and requires a magnifying glass to read because the printing was so small.

The TECO Westinghouse VFD is twice the size of the original VFD and costs 5X that of the original. In addition it is warranty protected. That is why I am reaching out to the supplier to either replace this unit or refund my purchase price.

By the way, did you notice that the very first parameter setting requires you to specify V/F curve speed control or Sensorless Vector speed control? Does this selection disable the ability to change some parameters? Also the manual says we have the capability to select up to six V/F curves, but it doesn't explain how.

I will post when I hear back from the supplier.

Grounding the case should not affect whether or not the motor will run. This is mainly to protect me or some other unsuspecting person from touching the case or CNC frame in the event one of the phases shorts to the case. But yes, I should make the modification.

Fuses are recommended by the manufacturer in this case. I would never rely soley on a molded case circuit breaker to protect the electronics. Response time for a fast blow fuse is typically around 2 milliseconds, breaker response time is on the order of 0.02 to 0.05 seconds.

Unfortunately I no longer have the original drive. I gave it to a friend who uses it for a koi pond pump. The manual is written in Chinglish and was not downloadable in .pdf form and requires a magnifying glass to read because the printing was so small.

The TECO Westinghouse VFD is twice the size of the original VFD and costs 5X that of the original. In addition it is warranty protected. That is why I am reaching out to the supplier to either replace this unit or refund my purchase price.

By the way, did you notice that the very first parameter setting requires you to specify V/F curve speed control or Sensorless Vector speed control? Does this selection disable the ability to change some parameters? Also the manual says we have the capability to select up to six V/F curves, but it doesn't explain how.

I will post when I hear back from the supplier.
    Yes, I'm not new to this I repair VFD Drives, V/F control normally works best for these 400Hz Spindles most VFD Drives that have Vector Control, do not support 400Hz some will work up to 300Hz though some of the more expensive VFD Drives work well using Vector Control for the 400Hz 800Hz spindles

It's very easy to change the V/F Torque Curves first you have to have it run to see if it needs to be changed most don't,

Correct Grounding will not change much, but is a requirement, for any install like this, it also depends how much rotor voltage there is also as this has to go to Ground, if this is high in your spindle then it will cause a high current Fault

Fues and not normally used a Breaker is superior, if one of your Fues blow when you spindle is at full speed you will damage the VFD Drive and sometimes the Spindle this is why Fuses are not used

You should get the cheaper VFD Drive like the Huanyang this will work well with your spindle and not cost very much, high cost VFD Drives are not much better than some of the cheaper VFD Drives, it's your choice

It's quite clear in the manual how to wire your VFD Drive, Note your regular Fuse is not a Disconnect, which is a normal requirement for any install like this

Molded-case circuit breaker (MCCB) or fused disconnect:
    ? A molded-case circuit breaker or fused disconnect must be installed
    between the AC source and the inverter that conforms to the rated
    voltage and current of the inverter to control the power and protect the
    inverter.

Just remember the Parameters must be set correct before applying Power to these Spindles or you will damage the VFD Drive or the Spindle sometimes both can be Damaged
    Mactec54

Was looking at the Drive max output Amps depending on what you drive model number is the 1.5Kw drive only has a max output amp of 7.5, so if you have this model and set the motor Parameter to 8As it will give you the over current Fault and shut down, you will need the next size VFD Drive up if you want to use the 8Amps for your spindle motor, this is most likely why it won't run Parameters setting is important and also the correct drive size for the job
    Mactec54

OK, first I want to make sure that we are on the same wavelength with respect to what the motor is doing. When I press RUN on the keypad the motor starts up and runs for approximately 3 seconds. Then it quits and I get a CL error. This means that the inverter current reached (exceeded) its over current protection level. This occurs with the motor running at no load condition.

Next, let's clear up the cabling issue. Originally the motor leads were cheap cabling that I bought on e-bay. They were 18 AWG but as I found out later were copper coated aluminum. No wonder I had a hard time soldering this ****! So for all of the tests we have conducted so far, the motor leads are approximately 12 inches long 16 AWG. I am having camera issues - will post photos later.

The motor amp setting has no effect whatsoever. I could set it at 1 amp and it would still return a CL fault.

I will check the input current ( L & N) tomorrow but this is just to have a refernce measurement, as I have given up on this drive.

Let's recap. I have two spindle motors and one very expensive VFD. Both of the spindle motors behave exactly the same when I try to power them up with this drive. The question then becomes: do I have a defective VFD or two defective spindle motors?

In order to detertmine if the VFD is at fault, it seems to me that I need another VFD in order to prove my thesis.

That raises the following questions:

Why buy a 2.2 KW drive instead of replacing the 1.5 KW drive? I would have to install a 30 amp double pole breker to protect the VFD. More$$$

What makes the Huanygang VFD better than the one marketed by Vevor? They were both probably made in the same factory.

My primary goal at ths point is to build a case in order to get a refund for the TECO Westinghouse VFD.

OK, first I want to make sure that we are on the same wavelength with respect to what the motor is doing. When I press RUN on the keypad the motor starts up and runs for approximately 3 seconds. Then it quits and I get a CL error. This means that the inverter current reached (exceeded) its over current protection level. This occurs with the motor running at no load condition.

Next, let's clear up the cabling issue. Originally the motor leads were cheap cabling that I bought on e-bay. They were 18 AWG but as I found out later were copper coated aluminum. No wonder I had a hard time soldering this ****! So for all of the tests we have conducted so far, the motor leads are approximately 12 inches long 16 AWG. I am having camera issues - will post photos later.

The motor amp setting has no effect whatsoever. I could set it at 1 amp and it would still return a CL fault.

I will check the input current ( L & N) tomorrow but this is just to have a refernce measurement, as I have given up on this drive.

Let's recap. I have two spindle motors and one very expensive VFD. Both of the spindle motors behave exactly the same when I try to power them up with this drive. The question then becomes: do I have a defective VFD or two defective spindle motors?

In order to detertmine if the VFD is at fault, it seems to me that I need another VFD in order to prove my thesis.

That raises the following questions:

Why buy a 2.2 KW drive instead of replacing the 1.5 KW drive? I would have to install a 30 amp double pole breker to protect the VFD. More$$$

What makes the Huanygang VFD better than the one marketed by Vevor? They were both probably made in the same factory.

My primary goal at ths point is to build a case in order to get a refund for the TECO Westinghouse VFD.
    The VFD Drive could be fine and is just protecting itself, if you have a motor repair company somewhere near, you should take the spindles for them to megger test the windings, this will soon tell you if there is a problem with the motors

Vevor is not a manufacture it has just name branded from one of the poor copied Huanyang VFD Drives that was at the bottom of the pile, so I would not recommend buying one, they do work but only have very basic controls

Huanyang today is as good as any of the major brand VFD Drives, with very few problems these days.

Why buy a 2.2Kw that is the size you should be using if your spindle is 8A the 1.5Kw are only rated at 7.5A, if your spindle was rated at 7A then you would get by with the 1.5Kw VFD Drive most 1.5Kw spindles are rated at 6A to 7A

The 2.2Kw will run on your 20/25A circuit with your 8A spindle

Checking the input current will tell me what is going on, you can do this with the spindle connected and with out

I did say to run the VFD Drive without the spindle attached, so disconnect and run the VFD Drive and check the input current use the Pot or arrow keys to change the frequency

It sounds like the cable you are using is also incorrect, the cable from the VFD Drive to the Spindle has to be suited for VFD Drive use 4 wire shielded this is what you would normally use for this connection, using the wrong cable could cause this high current draw, but I'm thinking there may be a problem with the spindles so have them tested to check the windings

CF6-10-04
    CF6-07-04
    Either of these (2) cable sizes will work with your spindle, there are other cable manufactures of this cable this is one of the best You can find this company in every country just look up IGUS
    Mactec54

Took both of my spindle motors to a very reputable electric motor repair shop where they were meggered and found to be in good condition with no faults indicated. Does that let the spindle motors off the hook? Not 100%, but consider two identical motors exhibiting the identical behaviour when powering up with the VFD. Highly unlikely that the motors are the issue.

Yes, the cabling that I was using is crap and I intended to replace it. The conductors are copper coated aluminum (ugh!) Try soldering that crap. So, I pulled the VFD out of the cabinet and pulled the spindle motor off the router and placed it in a cradle alongside the VFD. I connected the motor to the VFD with 16 AWG stranded copper wire. There is no way that the cabling is an issue! Remember also that it ran the motors just fine before I "upgraded" the drive.

I agree with your logic of using a 2.2KW drive. My bad for linking a 1.5KW motor with a 1.5KW VFD. It appears to me that you have considerable experience with Huanygang drives since you are recommending them. That will be my next order of business, but first............

I contacted the supplier of the TECO Westinghouse drive and registered a claim based on the fact that it will not drive my motors. The fact that it is rated at 7.5 amps could prove to be a stumbling block. I'll remember to bring home the clamp on ammeter tomorrow to see how much current the drive is pulling.

Once again, I really appreciate your assistance with this issue.

Took both of my spindle motors to a very reputable electric motor repair shop where they were meggered and found to be in good condition with no faults indicated. Does that let the spindle motors off the hook? Not 100%, but consider two identical motors exhibiting the identical behaviour when powering up with the VFD. Highly unlikely that the motors are the issue.

Yes, the cabling that I was using is crap and I intended to replace it. The conductors are copper coated aluminum (ugh!) Try soldering that crap. So, I pulled the VFD out of the cabinet and pulled the spindle motor off the router and placed it in a cradle alongside the VFD. I connected the motor to the VFD with 16 AWG stranded copper wire. There is no way that the cabling is an issue! Remember also that it ran the motors just fine before I "upgraded" the drive.

I agree with your logic of using a 2.2KW drive. My bad for linking a 1.5KW motor with a 1.5KW VFD. It appears to me that you have considerable experience with Huanygang drives since you are recommending them. That will be my next order of business, but first............

I contacted the supplier of the TECO Westinghouse drive and registered a claim based on the fact that it will not drive my motors. The fact that it is rated at 7.5 amps could prove to be a stumbling block. I'll remember to bring home the clamp on ammeter tomorrow to see how much current the drive is pulling.

Once again, I really appreciate your assistance with this issue.
    7.5 Amps is the norm for a 1.5Kw VFD Drive, it's your spindle that is outside the norm and is what some of the 2.2Kw spindles run at 8Amps so I would say that your spindles have an incorrect name plate rating or may even be 2.2Kw spindle, just a rough calculation a 1.5Kw spindle should have only a 6.5A max requirement, so the 1.5Kw VFD Drive would normally work

Of all the cheap VFD Drives the Huanyang is the most robust, and the easiest to setup, there are many other VFD Drives to choose from also, just this would be the most popular one to use, make sure it is a genuine Huanyang if you get this VFD Drive as there are many copies out there

Note, The Parameter must be set correct before the Power is applied to the spindle, so whatever you get this is the first thing to address
    Mactec54

Here us the last piece of the puzzle (hopefully). The clamp on current readings on both line and neutral input wires are 2.4 amps. This only lasts for about 3 seconds, then the drive shuts down due to inverter over current protection level exceeded (CL).

At this point I just want to know if the inverter is defective or is it undersized for the application. Either way I will be replacing the inverter and cabling.

Here us the last piece of the puzzle (hopefully). The clamp on current readings on both line and neutral input wires are 2.4 amps. This only lasts for about 3 seconds, then the drive shuts down due to inverter over current protection level exceeded (CL).

At this point I just want to know if the inverter is defective or is it undersized for the application. Either way I will be replacing the inverter and cabling.
    For Testing your wire / cable you used should have been ok, going buy the photos, a Ground should have been connected, I see you have an air-cooled spindle, so this takes a little more work to connect a Ground wire inside, than the water-cooled spindle I showed you in other post

2.4A on startup with the spindle connected would not have been correct it should have reached somewhere from 8A to 12A, and then dropped back to a lower amperage so something is either not set correct in the VFD Drive or it has a problem
    Mactec54

You can do following to check:

1: Unconnected the Spindle and run the VFD, You Should have no alarm

2:Measure the Resistance between U and V, V and W, U and W, they should have same reading

Contact me if you need any help

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...ge/cnc-spindle

Quote Originally Posted by automationtechinc View Post
    You can do following to check:

1: Unconnected the Spindle and run the VFD, You Should have no alarm

2:Measure the Resistance between U and V, V and W, U and W, they should have same reading

Contact me if you need any help

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...ge/cnc-spindle
    He has done those tests as well had the spindle motors megger checked at a motor repair shop, the motors are fine, his VFD Drive is the problem, as it can't drive this spindle motor using the high frequency 120Hz / 400Hz required for these spindle motors
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12