585,930 active members*
3,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Tips on casting machine base with Sika212?

Tips on casting machine base with Sika212?

Hi all,

I've been picking up bits and pieces of info about casting with precision grout, but haven't been able to find answers for a couple of questions:

For arguments sake, could a person cast a standard mill C-frame from the grout when reinforced with stone aggregate? I'm thinking a heavy base and thick (greater than 6") vertical column without encasing the casting in steel or aluminum? I specify 6" because the instructions indicate that aggregate must be used when thickness (width?) exceeds 6 inches.

Also, what else does it require for support? An internal rebar structure similar to how concrete columns are made? Is there any guidance of how wide this internal structure would need to be compared to the width of the overall column?

Thanks! I'm grateful for all the people who have shared this kind of knowledge, I just haven't found enough to confidently start pouring!

Re: Tips on casting machine base with Sika212?

1. No.
    2. Yes.

Concrete, and derivations, are pretty weak in terms of strength, bending, and rigidity.
    They are strong in compression, and good in vibration resistance.

A mill C frame, like a BP (old, 60 year old design), or a VMC (modern) has about 30-40 cm D thickness on the column.
    Forget anything like 6".

Basically, concrete, granite, marble, etc are about 3x less strong and rigid than cast iron, and steel is about 1.5-2x "stronger" than cast iron.

You "could" make a very good mill from concrete derivates, granite, etc. by simply upsizing the column to 60 cm.
    But if it had a steel skin it would be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by HaGee View Post
    Hi all,
    For arguments sake, could a person cast a standard mill C-frame from the grout when reinforced with stone aggregate?
    I'm thinking a heavy base and thick (greater than 6") vertical column without encasing the casting in steel or aluminum? I specify 6" because the instructions indicate that aggregate must be used when thickness (width?) exceeds 6 inches.

An internal rebar structure similar to how concrete columns are made?

Re: Tips on casting machine base with Sika212?

Hi,
    there is a thread running on this forum that has hundreds of posts about composite mills and much much more. In particular peteeng has been working towards
    casting a mill in a low/no shrink grout material. He is an engineer by training and is scientific in his investigation. Long read, but worth it.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-d...11248-cnc.html

hanermo is right, six inch is nowhere, more like two feet.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    there is a thread running on this forum that has hundreds of posts about composite mills and much much more. In particular peteeng has been working towards
    casting a mill in a low/no shrink grout material. He is an engineer by training and is scientific in his investigation. Long read, but worth it.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-d...11248-cnc.html

hanermo is right, six inch is nowhere, more like two feet.

Craig
    Thanks Craig! Don't know how I missed it; Pete's posts have been what inspired this approach to begin with ????

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    1. No.
    2. Yes.

Concrete, and derivations, are pretty weak in terms of strength, bending, and rigidity.
    They are strong in compression, and good in vibration resistance.

A mill C frame, like a BP (old, 60 year old design), or a VMC (modern) has about 30-40 cm D thickness on the column.
    Forget anything like 6".

Basically, concrete, granite, marble, etc are about 3x less strong and rigid than cast iron, and steel is about 1.5-2x "stronger" than cast iron.

You "could" make a very good mill from concrete derivates, granite, etc. by simply upsizing the column to 60 cm.
    But if it had a steel skin it would be much better.
    Hey thanks for the input!