585,951 active members*
3,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Anyone done a Centroid conversion on Tree VMC 1050?

Anyone done a Centroid conversion on Tree VMC 1050?

I am looking into acquiring a M400 setup for my 1050, and wonder if anyone has any experience doing it? Also, looking for any opinions on the Centroid controller/hardware itself. I have been looking at it for a couple years, and have seen it in action in LA last spring at the big show out there. It seems pretty user friendly to a newbie (if anything can be called user friendly when it comes to starting with CNC programming), it doesn't seem too intuitive, but I'm sure I can figger it out.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Anyone? Nothing? Hmm, that isn't encouraging, I would have hoped someone would at least have a comment about Centroid controllers, as they have been around a while. Doesn't necessarily have to be in relation to a Tree mill, but just any experiences you've had with them, if they appeared to be a good value. Feel free to chime in if you've worked with them!

Well, ended up not doing the conversion, as we couldn't come to an agreement on the price. I think that eventually I will, but I need to find the right unit at the right price, they have a lot of nice features from what I've read. Maybe then, when I start using it, I can ask a some questions that y'all will have an answer to... Lots to learn, that's for sure!

I put a Centroid control on my 325 but there's no tool changer so I'd guess your install process would be significantly different.

This is my first CNC so I can't say how Centroid compares to any other control (I never used the Delta20 that was on the mill when I bought it). It seems reasonably friendly and powerful but I did buy pretty much all the options. I doubt that any control is going to be completely free of bugs unless it has not had any new features added for a multi-year debugging period.

As with many things buying from a dealer who will work with you and go to bat for you can make a big difference.

You might have better luck asking about the control in the Ajax/Centroid forum here at CNCzone.

cheers,
    Michael