584,837 active members*
5,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Hobbycnc (Products) > wood shop table with built in cnc router table

wood shop table with built in cnc router table

Hello Everyone
    I have an older cnc router I built about 15 years ago with the hobbycnc 4aupc 3 axis driver board and I think I bought the biggest in/oz steppers that were available for the kit back then.
    It works very good on a cut area of 16" by 36" as built.
    My plans are to build a new table 4' by 6' and move the electronics from my old machine over to this new one using sbr-20 rails I have instead of the old skate bearing and gas pipe that was used back then.
    Do you think the stepper motors that were purchased back then would be strong enough to move the gantry that will be built out of aluminum extrusion instead of MDF board as used on the original?
    Thanks James

Re: wood shop table with built in cnc router table

It could work. The new rails will have less resistance to motion than the old ones, and it sounds like the new gantry won't weigh much more, so if the motors worked before, they still should. Spanning 4 feet with aluminum extrusion sounds like the biggest problem; it's likely to deflect quite a bit unless you beef it up somehow. But the control system won't be as much of an issue, and if it starts to be, you can always swap it out for a better one.
    Andrew Werby
    Website