584,808 active members*
5,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > DMM motor sizing query

Question DMM motor sizing query

I have a Harrison 1550 S Lathe that i will be retrofitting with new control with motors and drivers.
    We were involved in nasty flood waters in February which devastated our machines.
    Other machines will be retrofitted as time permits.
    Machines have been disassembled, cleaned and lubed waiting for retrofit.

This lathe has an X axis motor (LH of pic) Fanuc B2/3000 2.8A It is belt and screw and geared at 2.67 to 1
    The Y axis Fanuc motor (RH of pic)is a B3/3000 5.3A. It is belt to lay shaft to belt then screw and geared at 6.75 to 1

I am asking what AC motors would you suggest to be replacements for the above Fanuc motors.
    I will fit a centroid controller and probably an oak so to have feedback from all axis.
    Is this feedback needed for a lathe Z and X.
    Do the Dyna4 controllers communicate with the centroid oak controller.
    Is there any suppliers of these products in Australia.
    A pic is attached with both motor spec plates.

thx fryertuk

Re: DMM motor sizing query

I have DMM servos on my lathe and have been happy with them. If I had it to do over I would use Delta servos, easier to set up and price competitive with DMM. I have a Delta servo for my spindle motor.

''I will fit a centroid controller and probably an oak so to have feedback from all axis.''
    Good call

''Is this feedback needed for a lathe Z and X.''
    Yes if you want good accuracy.

''Do the Dyna4 controllers communicate with the centroid oak controller.''
    Yes. I use Analog Torque Mode

''Is there any suppliers of these products in Australia.''
    I don't know. I think DMM only ships from Canada.

As far as sizing, compare the specs on the Fanuc motor to the Delta or DMM specs and choose motors that meet or exceed the specs. Especially torque, also consider the frame size.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi,

''I will fit a centroid controller and probably an oak so to have feedback from all axis.''
    Good call
    Are you sure about this?. I've just been looking at the Centroid Oak and as far as I can tell it is not a feedback controller, but rather a Step/Dir output controller
    with a Windows PC, ie the motion control section will have a motion buffer like Mach, UCCNC etc.

Jim has long used Galil controllers which can close the loop, to whit Jim states 'Yes. I use Analog Torque Mode', which can be done with a Galil but not, at least to my reading,
    a Centroid Oak.

I use Delta B2 servos, and they are closed loop, but the control loop is closed by the servo drive not my Ethernet SmoothStepper motion controller. My reading of the technical information is that the
    Centroid Oak is like an ESS on steroids.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,

Are you sure about this?. I've just been looking at the Centroid Oak and as far as I can tell it is not a feedback controller, but rather a Step/Dir output controller
    with a Windows PC, ie the motion control section will have a motion buffer like Mach, UCCNC etc.

Jim has long used Galil controllers which can close the loop, to whit Jim states 'Yes. I use Analog Torque Mode', which can be done with a Galil but not, at least to my reading,
    a Centroid Oak.

I use Delta B2 servos, and they are closed loop, but the control loop is closed by the servo drive not my Ethernet SmoothStepper motion controller. My reading of the technical information is that the

Craig
    It looks like Centroid Oak is a closed loop system. It shows encoder connections to the controller. Take a look at the wiring diagrams https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersu.../S14759.r4.pdf

Maybe I'm missing something.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi,
    I stand corrected, the diagram I looked at was Step/Dir, however the diagram which you posted does indeed show a 'fullhouse' connection, including encoder feedback.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,

a Centroid Oak.

Craig
    No, the Oak is a full closed loop controller, the new Acorn 6 can also use linear scale feedback for up to 6 axes
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by fryertuk View Post
    I have a Harrison 1550 S Lathe that i will be retrofitting with new control with motors and drivers.
    We were involved in nasty flood waters in February which devastated our machines.
    Other machines will be retrofitted as time permits.
    Machines have been disassembled, cleaned and lubed waiting for retrofit.

This lathe has an X axis motor (LH of pic) Fanuc B2/3000 2.8A It is belt and screw and geared at 2.67 to 1
    The Y axis Fanuc motor (RH of pic)is a B3/3000 5.3A. It is belt to lay shaft to belt then screw and geared at 6.75 to 1

I am asking what AC motors would you suggest to be replacements for the above Fanuc motors.
    I will fit a centroid controller and probably an oak so to have feedback from all axis.
    Is this feedback needed for a lathe Z and X.
    Do the Dyna4 controllers communicate with the centroid oak controller.
    Is there any suppliers of these products in Australia.
    A pic is attached with both motor spec plates.

thx fryertuk
    Unless you have some special requirements, the Acorn would do all you need, as the Servo Drives will close the loop just as well as any control can, this can save you a lot in time and money
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    No, the Oak is a full closed loop controller, the new Acorn 6 can also use linear scale feedback for up to 6 axes
    Can the new Acorn 6 use feedback from the x and z axis for closed loop to controller. Also in what way does the Oak communicate with drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by fryertuk View Post
    Can the new Acorn 6 use feedback from the x and z axis for closed loop to controller. Also in what way does the Oak communicate with drivers.
    The Oak would be using the Encoder feedback from the Servo Drives to close the loop

The New Acorn6 I can't say as this is too new, and I have only used the Acorn 4 axis, you would have to ask that question with Centroid

Why do you need to close the loop in the control, closing the loop in modern Servo Drives does the same thing, then you can use a simple control, if this is for threading then the Acorn 4 axis Board can do coordinated threading control with spindle encoder feedback, so for threading the loop is closed in the control, axis and spindle are coordinated motion
    Mactec54