585,733 active members*
5,138 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > ALARM 213 since upgrading to CF2 main processor.

ALARM 213 since upgrading to CF2 main processor.

We recently had to update a machine to coldfire 2 due to an unfortunate electrical issue. My current problem is that when I give my spindle the ole 1500 and press fwd I get an alarm 213 error and the control pretty much wigs out. My tech is telling me this is normal for that software version and that I will have to give it the commands in MDI i.e S1500 m03 cycle start. I have used the short cut to get my spindle turning for years. Anyone have any input on their coldfire 2 controls acting in this manner?

Re: ALARM 213 since upgrading to CF2 main processor.

Quote Originally Posted by horst007 View Post
    We recently had to update a machine to coldfire 2 due to an unfortunate electrical issue. My current problem is that when I give my spindle the ole 1500 and press fwd I get an alarm 213 error and the control pretty much wigs out. My tech is telling me this is normal for that software version and that I will have to give it the commands in MDI i.e S1500 m03 cycle start. I have used the short cut to get my spindle turning for years. Anyone have any input on their coldfire 2 controls acting in this manner?
    Listen to the Tech that is the correct way to do it, what ever you put in MDI will stay in MDI unless you change it, for some other speed, so all you have to do is select MDI and Press Start it's faster than what you were doing before, you can't use the FWD key to start the spindle that is only for the Tool changer
    Mactec54

Mactec54

I think you may have what I am doing incorrect. pressing 1000 then the spindle fwd key is a lot faster than mdi,s1000m03, cycle start. I usually use mdi for positioning commands so leaving sxxxx m03 in there won't last for me. ALso its not really about speed more than convience and the fact I have been doing it that way for years and can still do it on my other machines. I now have a snowflake if you know what I mean.

It is much easier by a lot to simply MDI and the start cycle button. Just 2 presses. Just leave your S1000 M03 in the MDI. It is not erased when you use it.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

The new controls require an S command before the spindle forward button will do anything.
    Whether via MDI or the program.
    But, once the machine has read a speed, FWD will fire it up at whatever speed it was last programmed.

Ignore the nonsense above about not being able to use the FWD key to start the spindle.
    That is EXACTLY what it is there for, so of course you can use it that way.
    There's a separate ATC FWD key for the toolchanger.

It's seldom convenient to leave something like that in MDI, as MDI is used for many things, so I get where you are coming from.

You don't actually even need the M3, if you are wanting to use the spindle forward or reverse buttons to run the spindle.
    But the machine does have to have read a speed.
    MDI > S1500 > enter > cycle start
    This will NOT turn on the spindle, but the machine has now read the speed, and when you later hit FWD or REV it will fire up at 1500
    Unless it's read a different S because you have run a program, then it will fire up at that last programmed speed...

At least that is how my machines work.

Quote Originally Posted by HayreAss View Post
    The new controls require an S command before the spindle forward button will do anything.
    Whether via MDI or the program.
    But, once the machine has read a speed, FWD will fire it up at whatever speed it was last programmed.

Ignore the nonsense above about not being able to use the FWD key to start the spindle.
    That is EXACTLY what it is there for, so of course you can use it that way.
    There's a separate ATC FWD key for the toolchanger.

It's seldom convenient to leave something like that in MDI, as MDI is used for many things, so I get where you are coming from.

You don't actually even need the M3, if you are wanting to use the spindle forward or reverse buttons to run the spindle.
    But the machine does have to have read a speed.
    MDI > S1500 > enter > cycle start
    This will NOT turn on the spindle, but the machine has now read the speed, and when you later hit FWD or REV it will fire up at 1500
    Unless it's read a different S because you have run a program, then it will fire up at that last programmed speed...

At least that is how my machines work.
    Yes, they all work like that, that was not the question by the Op, try and understand what has been posted
    Mactec54

Dude.
    You flat out stated you can’t use the FWD button to start the spindle. It’s for the tool changer.
    When in fact running the spindle is the only thing that button WILL do.
    You certain I’m the one not keeping up here?
    Pretty sure OP is just trying to get the fwd button to fire up his spindle.
    I explained how that works on the new controls.
    Not exactly the way he wants, but it is what we have…

Dude.
    You flat out stated you can’t use the FWD button to start the spindle. It’s for the tool changer.
    When in fact running the spindle is the only thing that button WILL do.
    You certain I’m the one not keeping up here?
    Pretty sure OP is just trying to get the fwd button to fire up his spindle.
    I explained how that works on the new controls.
    Not exactly the way he wants, but it is what we have…
    No, it is exactly as I have said, it depends on which control he has, or you have the control before what you have does not have a FWD button for the Spindle control it has a CW Stop CCW button for spindle control, I have both models they work the same of cause so it can be confusing for someone that has not been exposed to the different controls / function buttons
    Mactec54

True, the old controls had CW and CCW instead of FWD and REV.
    But it sure seemed pretty clear that was what he was asking about.

True, the old controls had CW and CCW instead of FWD and REV.
    But it sure seemed pretty clear that was what he was asking about.
    He upgraded to a newer software; they all work the same as far as manual spindle control goes even before the upgrade.

He said he had been doing it for years, (Older Control) I have never seen it work like what he has said, if you press the spindle key (CW / FWD) it will run at the last speed the spindle was run at, and all the controls new and older work this way, the only way to change that speed was by using MDI S1500 press the start key and then you can use the Manual spindle buttons,(CW /FWD) and it will run that speed until changed
    Mactec54

I have run these machines for years. CW or CCW I tried on one of my machines the other day and just put an s1000 line in MDI and hit start, but nothing happened. Until give it an M command it will not run. If you have been running a program before, it will use the last programmed speed. Woe be it if that is 7000 and you have an indicator in there or something similar in in the spindle.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Did you do
    S command > start > CW?
    On both of my machines, that does it after a boot up, or any time I want to change speeds.

Did you do
    S command > start > CW?
    On both of my machines, that does it after a boot up, or any time I want to change speeds.
    Yes, I did exactly like that. Has not been that way on any Haas machines that I have run in my lifetime, and I'm 75 now. Best of luck to you.

Just walked in to my shop for the first time this week.
    Fired up my 2012 with the CW/CCW buttons, and the 2019 with FWD/REV
    Tested this in both machines, and it worked exactly as I described in post #5
    MDI > S1500 > enter > cycle start (the machine has now read the S command, but not been given a spindle on command)
    Now, when I press CW or CCW on the 2012, the spindle fires up
    Fwd or Rev on the 2019? Same thing.
    They both behave the same in Hand Jog and MDI mode.
    Wonder why yours does not behave this way?
    Had I run an actual program, since the last time I hit cycle start on an S command entered in MDI, it would have come on at that speed.
    Unless it was too fast, then it would verify that I actually wanted to do that. (machine with 15k spindle, 6k machine doesn't care, she just fires up)

Gentlemen.

Please see this video, I'm not sure you anybody is understanding my original post. This is on my horizontal. I have always set my spindle speed this way in the video. Please show me how mdi is faster and easier than this. Guess I'm just stubborn.

https://youtube.com/shorts/rJc2gD4lHhs

I understood.
    It simply no longer works that way.
    It works as explained in post #5 now.

Just walked in to my shop for the first time this week.
    Fired up my 2012 with the CW/CCW buttons, and the 2019 with FWD/REV
    Tested this in both machines, and it worked exactly as I described in post #5
    MDI > S1500 > enter > cycle start (the machine has now read the S command, but not been given a spindle on command)
    Now, when I press CW or CCW on the 2012, the spindle fires up
    Fwd or Rev on the 2019? Same thing.
    They both behave the same in Hand Jog and MDI mode.
    Wonder why yours does not behave this way?
    Had I run an actual program, since the last time I hit cycle start on an S command entered in MDI, it would have come on at that speed.
    Unless it was too fast, then it would verify that I actually wanted to do that. (machine with 15k spindle, 6k machine doesn't care, she just fires up)
    He has an older than 2008 machine he needs the M3S1500 to make it run from MDI
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by horst007 View Post
    Gentlemen.

Please see this video, I'm not sure you anybody is understanding my original post. This is on my horizontal. I have always set my spindle speed this way in the video. Please show me how mdi is faster and easier than this. Guess I'm just stubborn.

https://youtube.com/shorts/rJc2gD4lHhs
    Yes, this works on some controls just like you were doing it, my 2008 machine works just like your video, MDI does not need anything in it at all, just select MDI Mode type 400 Press CW /CCW and it runs the spindle at that speed, this is no easier or faster than having a speed already entered into MDI though

If you have a speed that you use a lot entered in MDI M3S800 you just select MDI and press Cycle Start Button this will turn the spindle on at that set speed you have in the MDI, once you have used the Cycle Start button (1) time, then you can use CW / Stop / CCW Buttons, and can type in any number you want to run the spindle at just like you were doing before.

Note not all controls will work the same way, but all can do the same thing, like the different Buttons FWD / Stop / REV on the newer controls
    Mactec54