584,817 active members*
5,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Did I messed my ball screw nut up?

Did I messed my ball screw nut up?

So…
    A year ago I did an upgrade for my CNC with a new ball screw system. I bought it from the supplier in the UK, it was “made in EU ball screw”. I have paid quite of money.. Later on I found out that is just a china imported AliExpress stuff… At that point the website of that shop was down, they were out of business. No support there… The only thing I know - it’s 1210 ball screw, with 2.5mm bearing balls. No additional information.

Few days ago I took apart one of them. The nut was moving friction-free on the screw, but it was dirty all around, just wanted to clean it. Did some research on how to repack this thing. I think I did it right. Took apart, cleaned it, greased it, put bearings back, I used some tube to mount it on the screw - wuolia! Now it does not move freely. I has friction and feels just not right. So I went with a process maybe 10 times again each time - the same result.

This 1210 is really unpopular size. Ball nut in AliExpress cost ~€40 plus shipping (while 1604 in the same shop - €13)
    I have tried to find a high quality one here in the EU - with no success..

Any thoughts?
    Cheers!

Re: Did I messed my ball screw nut up?

Quote Originally Posted by AUKURAS View Post
    So…
    A year ago I did an upgrade for my CNC with a new ball screw system. I bought it from the supplier in the UK, it was “made in EU ball screw”. I have paid quite of money.. Later on I found out that is just a china imported AliExpress stuff… At that point the website of that shop was down, they were out of business. No support there… The only thing I know - it’s 1210 ball screw, with 2.5mm bearing balls. No additional information.

Few days ago I took apart one of them. The nut was moving friction-free on the screw, but it was dirty all around, just wanted to clean it. Did some research on how to repack this thing. I think I did it right. Took apart, cleaned it, greased it, put bearings back, I used some tube to mount it on the screw - wuolia! Now it does not move freely. I has friction and feels just not right. So I went with a process maybe 10 times again each time - the same result.

This 1210 is really unpopular size. Ball nut in AliExpress cost ~€40 plus shipping (while 1604 in the same shop - €13)
    I have tried to find a high quality one here in the EU - with no success..

Any thoughts?
    Cheers!
    Did you use a micrometer to measure the Balls quit often there are a big ball and one that is smaller, if yours are like this then you need to redo it, and correctly assemble them in order Big small Big small Etc.

Why such a small Diameter Screw, 12mm is very wimpy the root diameter will be quite small, look on Ebay you will find these low grade cheap Ballscrews from China
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Did you use a micrometer to measure the Balls quit often there are a big ball and one that is smaller, if yours are like this then you need to redo it, and correctly assemble them in order Big small Big small Etc.

Why such a small Diameter Screw, 12mm is very wimpy the root diameter will be quite small, look on Ebay you will find these low grade cheap Ballscrews from China
    Yes, I did measure them with a professional micrometer, Few of them were 2.48 - 2.49 but the rest was exactly 2.50, so I don’t think that few smaller balls would make such a difference.

Small diameter- because seller recommended so. I didn’t make enough research on my own, so I did trust a “professional”. I do regret actually, and already have a plan to replace it to 16mm.

Thanks for an input!

Re: Did I messed my ball screw nut up?

Just dealt with this myself, ballscrews have multiple circuits make sure you are loading each circuit with the same count of balls