585,753 active members*
4,451 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Recommended Chuck for Haas TL1 / TL2

Recommended Chuck for Haas TL1 / TL2

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Haas TL1 or TL2.

Are there any other chucks you recommend I consider over the Samchully 8" manual 3-jaw chuck ($1700 Haas build option)?

For those of you who went with the standard Samchully 8" manual 3-jaw chuck, were you happy with that decision?

I plan on purchasing the machine with the A2-5 spindle. The A2-6 upgrade is a $5k option.

One option I'm considering is the Bison 8" Set Tru Manual Chuck. However, the through-hole on both the chuck and adapter plate is 2.17" which basically limits me to 2 1/8" stock. I don't know what the through-hole is on the Samchully 8" chuck. The TL1/2 A2-5 spindle bore is 2.3" which allows for 2 1/4" stock. I could maybe bore out the Bison chuck and adapter plate if I need that extra 1/8" through the spindle.

Links to Bision chuck and A2-5 adapter plate:
    https://www.smalltools.com/bison-8-3...ck-7-866-0800/
    https://www.smalltools.com/bison-set...-for-8-chucks/

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Juliet24; 10-24-2022 at 05:47 PM.

Re: Recommended Chuck for Haas TL1 / TL2

You can get a really nice 8 or 10" Bison or TMX set True for way less money and a much nicer chuck.
    My TL-1 runs a 10" TMX set Tru every day, and I jump to a 12" TMX Set-Tru for a repeat job that comes in a few times a year. I also have Bison chucks and they are identical to the TMX, and from what I understand they were the same manufacturer for a long while. ToolMex (TMS) is a good brand and I've had excellent luck.

I'm sure many others will have an opinion. BTW, I thought the 8" chuck was standard on the TL lathe and it comes with it?

Re: Recommended Chuck for Haas TL1 / TL2

Thanks for the response.

No, if you want the basic 8" chuck, you need to pay $1700 for the option, otherwise your machine arrives with a naked spindle nose. I like that they give you the option. Why spend an additional $1700 on a cuck you might not want. Thanks for the recommendation on the Set-Tru Bison / TMX.

Have you ever regretted not having the TL-2? I'm torn about having the larger 48" instead of 30" of Z-travel / distance-between-centers. It's only an additional $3k. However, I'm concerned about losing some of the accuracy on the Z axis and the greater distance between control panel and chuck slowing me down when setting up for a job.

12" Chuck! Does your machine have the upgraded A2-6 spindle? That's a $5k upgrade!