584,865 active members*
4,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Matsuura RA3 pallet changer

I am looking forward to get a Matsuura RA3 from 1991. Machine is in near mint condition, only 608 spindle hours. However it has some kind of pallet changer arm malfunction. It is not connected to pallet on machine table, is lifted as if pallet was to be changed and is completely limp, can move with my finger as if it is not connected to anything, and you can hear air leak from under the table. Apart from that machine is fully functional, smooth and quiet..
    Does any1 have any schematics/images of how this arm is supposed to work on the inside?
    How complicated is this mechanism? Are there any super special parts? Should this be a deal breaker?

Re: Matsuura RA3 pallet changer

usolutions,
    The "Rapid Arm" (hence RA) is driven by a rack and pinion on X axis. With no pallet connected the rack is not engaged and the arm can move freely.
    The manuals have an installation procedure. If you need the installation procedure you can PM me and I can send PDF.

first thing that comes to mind is to be sure the sensors are clean and functioning in the pallet bay . Otherwise the pallet will lift but it won't complete the sequence because the mill thinks there is obstruction in the bay . The air under the table is normal when it's lifting

Quick update, I have sourced another RA3G with no such issues.

However I have question. It says JIS B 6339 40P pull stud, this has 15degree chamfer on pullstud, however, the one in original post was functioning with 45-60 degree pull studs, what angle pullstuds are compatable? I see 90, 60 and 45 degree options at local supplier, and i don't get which ones are one to get?

it's been far too long since I've worked on matsuura to help with the studs but if it is marked on the machine to use those studs then I'd run what it calls for . It's possible the other machine was using improper pull studs

I see mari tool has matsuura studs with the 15 degree , it might be worth giving them a shout

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    it's been far too long since I've worked on matsuura to help with the studs but if it is marked on the machine to use those studs then I'd run what it calls for . It's possible the other machine was using improper pull studs

I see mari tool has matsuura studs with the 15 degree , it might be worth giving them a shout
    being outside US makes sourcing stuff kinda complicated.

Also I havelike 80% of tools in SK-taper, and I have seen many machines of RAline using CAT40(same stuff, but imperial), with "special" studs, was wondering if haas studs would fit, at least for manual change

the studs are an area where it's not worth guessing . the last time i saw a spindle replacement on one of those it was $15k and that was around 25 yrs ago
    Is there not a plate on the machine with the stud number , otherwise it should be in the manual if you have one

Machine is yet in transit, trying to find info in advance
    I have full lot of high grade SK40 tool holders, like hydraulics and stuff, however I chose RA3 with bt40 spindle. I wish to use tools I have while I slowly adapt BT40 tools. BC I dont think china special ER holders are any better for the machine

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    the studs are an area where it's not worth guessing . the last time i saw a spindle replacement on one of those it was $15k and that was around 25 yrs ago
    Is there not a plate on the machine with the stud number , otherwise it should be in the manual if you have one
    It says on plaque JIS B 6339-40P. Straight on google gives just all MAS-BT pull studs, as they comply with overall JIS B 6339, is there a way to see JIS B 6339 itslef as PDF somewhere?

Here's Matsuura 40 taper BT spec
    Attachment 486644

Machine has finally arived. Unloading was difficult but we made it. Currently figuring out stuff how to put back together. Can not seem to find air line location for APC.