585,759 active members*
4,030 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Esab Columbus Program issue

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to CAD/CAM stuff so please bare with my ignorance. I am trying to cut a few parts with an esab sabre 4000. This is an older machine, i think somewhere around 10 years old. My issue is i created a part in solidworks and saved it as a DXF. When i try to import the part to the Columbus software I am getting an error that attached. I am wonder what I am doing wrong either in solidworks or on the Columbus side of things. Thank you for any help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error.jpg  

Re: Esab Columbus Program issue

Quote Originally Posted by Kerr Sqaured View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I'm new to CAD/CAM stuff so please bare with my ignorance. I am trying to cut a few parts with an esab sabre 4000. This is an older machine, i think somewhere around 10 years old. My issue is i created a part in solidworks and saved it as a DXF. When i try to import the part to the Columbus software I am getting an error that attached. I am wonder what I am doing wrong either in solidworks or on the Columbus side of things. Thank you for any help!
    What version of DXF have you saved it as? I recommend you save has dxf r14 and try again.....

XJ, thanks for the tip. Ill give that shot as see what happens. Any other settings I should check, like making sure the scaling is 1/1 or high quality dxf anything like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerr Sqaured View Post
    xj, not sure what you mean by version. I have solidworks 2014, what i am doing is right-clicking on the face that i want cut out and selecting export to dxf/dwg. Then saving that. When i try and bring it up in Columbus, I get the error message.
    Does not have anything to do with the version of solidworks, its the dxf file format, things have changed quite a few times since it was introduced in 1982, the esab program may not be able to read today's version.

1- the layers have to be configured in setup import columbus software
    2- the line's are prefered to be exploded in the dxf or dwg file , with the line's on the correct layer conforming setup columbus import module