586,005 active members*
5,260 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma OSP5020 RS232 Machine to Machine communication

Okuma OSP5020 RS232 Machine to Machine communication

I have a LB15 with IGF and a LB25 without IGF same control. Question, is it possible to transfer programs directly machine to machine using the RS232 ports without uploading to a PC? (trying to save a step) Most of my parts are one off and I do not save them.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Pat

Re: Okuma OSP5020 RS232 Machine to Machine communication

hy once machines are conected, even both having igf, use a pc with igf to create programs ( is way faster ), and from it send to whatever machine
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hy once machines are conected, even both having igf, use a pc with igf to create programs ( is way faster ), and from it send to whatever machine
    Kitty Kitty, once again, you are not looking at the full information!
    They have specified their machine has a OSP5020 control which is late 1980's vintage... Nothing like your modern P300 series controller!
    He obviously does not have the PC version of IGF available.
    They only came out with RS232 comms on them, no network access at all.

I would think that it 'could' be possible to send/receive between machines, after all, both systems can send/receive via RS232.
    Obviously you would need to get the settings correct between the machines, but I see no reason why you could not do what you want.
    However, You will not be able to transmit a IGF program only the actual program itself.

hey broby make the pc igf ( or whatever else ) to suit whatever machine, then send the program to it

even on a newer controller, is way faster to send from a pc, rather than between machines, and by fast i don't reffer to conection speed, but more to cnc panel operations

once there is conection, stuff can be centralized

You will not be able to transmit a IGF program, only the actual program itself
    igf files may not be transferable ( not because of conection, but compatibility issues ), but even if they would, there may be an alternative, as to overcome igf's limitations

another aproach is to enable the igf on the lb25, and avoid the 232 between lathes / kindly

hey broby make the pc igf ( or whatever else ) to suit whatever machine, then send the program to it

even on a newer controller, is way faster to send from a pc, rather than between machines, and by fast i don't reffer to conection speed, but more to cnc panel operations

once there is conection, stuff can be centralized
    You are totally missing the point that this control is nearing on 40+ years old!
    Back when I worked on them, (Yes I am an old dinosaur) the only information you could transmit was plain text files.

igf files may not be transferable ( not because of conection, but compatibility issues ), but even if they would, there may be an alternative, as to overcome igf's limitations

another aproach is to enable the igf on the lb25, and avoid the 232 between lathes / kindly
    The cost of enabling software options on these OLD machines would be, if possible at all, very expensive!
    Highly unlikely that you would be able to upgrade the old machine with out IGF.

However, if the user has a suitable post for what ever CAM desktop program they have, then they will still need to connect to the machine via RS232 as there is no network connection available on these OLD machines!

Please keep in mind, Kitty, that you need to make sure your advice is relevant to the control system specified by the original poster, In this case, they have stated OSP5020!

You have lots of good advice to give, but it does not apply to the older generation of machines such as the OSP5020 controllers.

if all enabling software methods fails, then, as long as both machines have 232, is faster to consider sending files from a pc, rather than between them

on machine igf is less important than having the 232

Back when I worked on them, (Yes I am an old dinosaur) the only information you could transmit was plain text files.
    even today, there is not actually much need to send something else besides the program file; what changed is what kind of data can be recorded at the cnc , and transmitted back to the pc thus there is more acces to the blackbox

if the user has a suitable post for what ever CAM desktop program they have
    with simple lathe parts, the cam will make it harder; best combo is pc-igf and 232 otherwise, the cam, being slow, will make one loose the advantage of conectivity, thus on machine igf will beat it

ps : you are not dino, you are an aussie

ps : you are not dino, you are an aussie
    Why do I feel like I've just been slap across the face ??

Kitty.... read the 1st post again.... he doesn't have IGF on a PC, he wants the machines to talk to each other

If you can't add any constructive comment... DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL.... EVER

Hi bri.. how's retirement?? LOL

he doesn't have IGF on a PC, he wants the machines to talk to each other
    besides what he wishes for, there are better solutions, which won't blow his wallet

his idea is pretty cool, but there is room for more ...

besides what he wishes for, there are better solutions, which won't blow his wallet

his idea is pretty cool, but there is room for more ...
    But you are telling him to fork out BIG $$$ to get IGF on his PC
    Why can't you just answer his query to what he wants, not what YOU think he needs.

Why can't you just answer his query to what he wants, not what YOU think he needs.
    i have been in similar situation, needing to transmit from one igf machine to another that does not have it; i understand the struggle

i 1st solved this a few years ago, and meanwhile, things developed, different methods can deliver same results, and by so, even older or non okuma machines, can benefit

The cost of enabling software options on these OLD machines would be, if possible at all, very expensive!
    leaving in antarctica, i know that not all roads lead to rome

and i also know that "brave mean create their own path" is not working, as that path will soon be covered in snow

Geez, think Kitty has been into the schnapps too much...
    Retirement is Great Superman!

Kitty, there is something called The Law of Diminishing Returns... sometimes the effort to do something is just not worth the time and effort.
    I can assure you that the ability to install IGF on the second machine for this person would NOT be possible, too old and like I said, if possible, very expensive.
    Sending programs, using all the correct parameter setup, just like talking to a PC, should solve this persons request.
    Pat is asking a simple question and yet, somehow, you are creating a whole new idea of cat food out of it!
    Can you ever answer a question with a simple yes or no?
    I seriously doubt you have ever seen, nor operated these older controllers, everthing you ever suggest is based on your knowledge of the latest series of Okuma Controllers and is unable to be implemented on these OLD controllers!

KMWPAT,

What you seek to do is possible. Use software handshaking and it will work fine.

Cable is critical to success. Both machines need 4-5 and 6-8-20 jumpered but once that is done, 2-3 and 3-2 are the communication lines.

IGF files will not transfer as stated above, but text files will transfer fine as long as they use the ASCII character set.

Best regards,

such old LBs are robust, called 'workhorses' etc, specs that competition did not even dreamed about back then

screens faids away, replaced with lcd's, but still, i guess one can call that the golden era of okuma

knowing igf capability, many would like to have it installed, but get pushed away by the official price of it, or needed hardware board, ( or no reply at all ), so instead will chose to send programs by the 232, even if knowing that the igf would be way quicker on simple parts, and what they do is mostly simple parts; that is a compromise

but as i see it, there are 2 solutions ( non compromise ) :
    ... lower spec price
    ... remote igf, sending through 232

I can assure you that the ability to install IGF on the second machine for this person would NOT be possible, too old and like I said, if possible, very expensive.
    I seriously doubt you have ever seen, nor operated these older controllers
    if i may, what part of " there are better solutions, which won't blow his wallet " is not clear ?

Can you ever answer a question with a simple yes or no?
    niche methods are not public, and i don't see it hapenning soon; too much work behind them

some persons reject ideas, some providers are too vague, yet there are moments when offer meets demand, and trust me, it works