585,690 active members*
4,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > For Sale Only > Help Mach 3 Spindle Relay Alternative / Work around

Post Help Mach 3 Spindle Relay Alternative / Work around

Help please, I’m trying to figure out how to turn 2.2kw spindle on with mach 3 with the mach 3 5axis break out board. Only problem is I have 5 stepper motors attached. With pins 2-9, 16/17 being used already, I don’t know how to turn spindle on without removing a stepper motor. Any ideas how to get the spindle relay to work to control spindle on/off?

I have pretty much wired and set up mach 3 properly I believe. I just have to many stepper motors for this break out board? If I disable my stepper motor, B Axis, Pin 16-17. I can have spindle relay set up with Pin 17 and I can turn spindle on but I cant use that stepper motor.

Only thing I can come up with is maybe using one of 2 pins I have left (14 or 1) and setting up spindle relay through that but its only 5V power as opposed to 10V. Not sure if that would even work. Or if I can avoid not need spindle relay at all.

Attached breakout board and VFD manual I have. Spindle is 2.2k 220v 10amp.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Aaron.

Re: Help Mach 3 Spindle Relay Alternative / Work around

Quote Originally Posted by Snazzy View Post
    Help please, I’m trying to figure out how to turn 2.2kw spindle on with mach 3 with the mach 3 5axis break out board. Only problem is I have 5 stepper motors attached. With pins 2-9, 16/17 being used already, I don’t know how to turn spindle on without removing a stepper motor. Any ideas how to get the spindle relay to work to control spindle on/off?

I have pretty much wired and set up mach 3 properly I believe. I just have to many stepper motors for this break out board? If I disable my stepper motor, B Axis, Pin 16-17. I can have spindle relay set up with Pin 17 and I can turn spindle on but I cant use that stepper motor.

Only thing I can come up with is maybe using one of 2 pins I have left (14 or 1) and setting up spindle relay through that but its only 5V power as opposed to 10V. Not sure if that would even work. Or if I can avoid not need spindle relay at all.

Attached breakout board and VFD manual I have. Spindle is 2.2k 220v 10amp.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Aaron.
    The relay is just a switch and requires no power if connected correctly to turn the VFD Drive 0n /0ff so the 5v at you Board just turns 0n /0ff the Relay the output of the Relay will have no voltage this connects to the VFD FWD / XGND

For speed control you will need the 0-10v Analog output connection too VII /GND

So use relay on your Breakout Board that is used for the Spindle 0n / 0ff connection for your axis problem you can use an Axis splitter 2:1 you can get one or whatever you need from CNC4PC it is a part number C88
    Mactec54