584,808 active members*
4,918 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal 4020 reviving rigid tapping capabilities but running into spindle overload.
Page 1 of 2 12

Fadal 4020 reviving rigid tapping capabilities but running into spindle overload.

I have a 1994 Fadal 4020HT with the 88HS control.

As far as I can tell this machine left the factory with rigid tapping installed or it was installed later. It has the right puzzle pieces, wiring is there, encoder is there, rigid tapping spindle drive. The only missing piece is that there was a 1010-1 card installed which doesn't support rigid tapping.

I purchased and installed a 1010-4 spindle control card with the rigid tapping e-proms installed, plugged in the encoder feedback cable but upon trying to start the spindle I get a error #10 spindle overload message. I have checked the jumpers are correct on the 1010-4 card and the red light is flashing when the machine is turned on.

Spindle drive is a yaskawa cimr-f7u2011

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Fadal 4020 reviving rigid tapping capabilities but running into spindle overload.

...did you SETP for Ridge Tap on page 2?
    also want version Chip Set is on the 1010-4 card? They may not be compatible with your system version.
    https://www.fadalcnc.com/media/pdf/A...patibility.pdf

Re: Fadal 4020 reviving rigid tapping capabilities but running into spindle overload.

Here are the images for what I see on the SETP pages. - the spindle options dont show anything for rigid tap although there are other settings that mention it. - Gain and Ramp.

I have a 1400-4 card that is compatible with my 1010-4 spindle control card as per the chart.

The 1400-4 card has a V94.10-3 2494 chipset version on the 1610-1 memory card.

The 1010-4 card has V92.1X eeproms installed on it.

That is confusing because when I set up rigid tap on my SETP I had the rigid tap option and selected Yes. I had rigid tap on my machine from the factory but someone had put a non rigid tap board in the machine and took the wire out from the spindle card to the VFD. I had to get a rigid tap spindle card and replace the wire that someone took. When you setup the SETP you should have an option for RIGID tap, not seeing that makes me think someone took the board out of the machine that had that in the SETP option. I am by no means 100% correct on that. Are you sure your new board say rigid tap on the eprom stickers? You need rigid tap spindle card with the RIGID tap Eproms, cable from spindle card to VFD, spindle motor with Encoder, and VFD setup for rigid tap per manual. Again confusing if you have all this why you dont have rigidtap option in the SETP.

Jeff

Yes here is a picture of the board, the eeproms say rigid tap.

Makes me think I need a software update - IE the 1610-1 computer memory board has too old a software version on it. - I found these at the ITS website but they are not clear on which software version is installed nor what each software version does.

https://itscnc.com/circuit-boards/16...e-modules.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20221124_073151.jpg  

Here is my SETP page for the rigid tap.
    Attachment 486450
    I think you have either an outdated software or your cards will not play right with the newer card. You can call ITSCNC and talk with Dan but good luck with that, hard guy to talk to. You say you have a 1010-4 spindle card but that card may not be right for the other software or other cards in the machine. I have seen like mine when I got it, they took the spindle card out and replaced with non rigid tap card and I had to fix that issue. Even know your machine from the original build sheet came with rigid tap the cards may not be the original cards.

My version for my machine is 97.6 on the software board. What version do you have?

I have a V94.10-3 - I think that is the issue.

Yea spoke to ITS - the only thing they could offer was to sent the 1010-4 card in for diagnose but I don't think its the card that's the issue rather software incompatibility.

I am going to look for a 1610 card with a newer software version.

not to muddy the water even more are you sure you have the VFD wired up correctly and the dip switches correct on the VFD.

I havent touched the VFD but I did confirm that the wiring is there for the encoder. See pictures

I found a 97.6 1610 board for sale

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/185616464558...Bk9SR8yT_KeVYQ

Quote Originally Posted by ballistic42 View Post
    not to muddy the water even more are you sure you have the VFD wired up correctly and the dip switches correct on the VFD.
    ,,,yes, good point. The Encoder cable should be plug in to J5 plug on the 1010-4 PCB and the Spindle must be set for Closed Loop Vector Control.

call these guys for more help https://nxgenparts.com/ele-electronics/fadal-ele-0025/

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ,,,yes, good point. The Encoder cable should be plug in to J5 plug on the 1010-4 PCB and the Spindle must be set for Closed Loop Vector Control.

call these guys for more help https://nxgenparts.com/ele-electronics/fadal-ele-0025/
    Here is an old post might want to look at this.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/fadal/93675-error-10-motor-overload.html

Quote Originally Posted by ballistic42 View Post
    Here is an old post might want to look at this.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/fadal/93675-error-10-motor-overload.html
    Found more info

https://nxgenparts.com/content/Quick%20Reference/Error_Codes.pdf

I would check all this before dropping coin on boards.

...the manual for your Yaskawa F7 looks like A1-02 Setting should be 3 for Vector Control
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...the manual for your Yaskawa F7 looks like A1-02 Setting should be 3 for Vector Control
    Just checked and it is set for (3) Flux Vector.

I have also checked all of the error codes, the best idea I have is that I am simply not getting the software "GO" signal that I need. Then when the control doesn't see any movement it throws the #10 Motor Overload error even though nothing is actually overloading.

Your ATC works with no issues right? The Spindle Orient works like it should?

QUOTE=Jeremy_Sawatzky;2530970]Just checked and it is set for (3) Flux Vector.

I have also checked all of the error codes, the best idea I have is that I am simply not getting the software "GO" signal that I need. Then when the control doesn't see any movement it throws the #10 Motor Overload error even though nothing is actually overloading.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ballistic42;2530972]Your ATC works with no issues right? The Spindle Orient works like it should?

Yes it all works as it should

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy_Sawatzky View Post
    The only missing piece is that there was a 1010-1 card installed which doesn't support rigid tapping.
    ...I wonder why a 1010-1 card was installed with 1400-4 card installed?

Did the Spindle Drive work ok with that card before you changed to 1010-4?

DJ

Yes it all worked perfect, Its either the machine was in the process of being upgraded to rigid tap and they didn't finish for whatever reason or someone yanked the 1010-4 card and replaced it.

Anyone know what model years the 1010-4 cards started to show up in machines?

I just purchased a newer software 1610-1 card - V97.6 that Ballistic42 showed has rigid tap as an option on his machine. - hopefully it arrives soon.

Page 1 of 2 12