584,894 active members*
3,933 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Question regarding memory - Fanuc 18MC

Question regarding memory - Fanuc 18MC

According to the original build sheet for my control I have 4Mb of program memory and 4Mb of main memory. The System Configuration page also shows two 4Mb boards present (see pics), and I happen to know that there is actually two 4Mb boards in the machine. However, the machine only allows me to load 65kb total of parts programs.
    So my question is this, is this correct and normal for a Fanuc 18MC? Is 65kb really all the memory I have to work with when there is 4Mb in the machine, or is this just likely what was set as the max when the machine was commissioned?
    Thanks in advance
    Karl

Re: Question regarding memory - Fanuc 18MC

The FROM module is used to store the Fanuc system files and also the MTB files like ladder(PMC) some C language files ,etc
    The DRAM is used like in computers to load the Fanuc soft and data while booting and execute from there
    For the SRAM you have an aditional board A02B-0222-H051 that should have the A20B-2902-0635 as reference
    I see you have already 160m active that means 64K and i tell you from now that the maxim part program memory is 320m representing only 128K and is maxim for your controller
    So your aspire to megas is just a fantasy and i want you to know from now.
    For telling you if can get on that board 128 K i need to see the other 2 pages from data sheet

Re: Question regarding memory - Fanuc 18MC

Thank you for your reply, you have answered most of my questions.
    I was not so much aspiring to have Megabytes available, just curious about how Fanuc used the memory. 64k seemed like so little to have left from 4Mb, but I did not know how memory usage is structured.
    I find these old systems quite fascinating and a valuable and enjoyable learning tool. This particular machine is not a production machine, it's just in my shed for home use.
    I have attached the only other 2 pages from the data sheet that include board numbers as requested - all other pages are just parameter list, and also the remaining screens from the System configuration.
    So is it the case then that the 128K limit you mention is for the 8Mb machines? which I believe was the max available for these controls.
    Thanks
    K