585,685 active members*
4,676 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Spindle speed defaults to 50%

Spindle speed defaults to 50%

Hello
    Im needing some help regarding a spindle rpm speed default setting on a VM16 with the 8200 controller. For some reason, no matter the program, the spindle speed defaults to 50% of the programmed rpm. I can feed hold the program before the first operation, and turn it up to 100% with the hand wheel, But as soon as it completes the cycle, it reverts back to 50% automatically. I can take that same Gcode program over to our VM4222IL and everything runs at 100% no problem.

I did find in the manual, reference to a parameter for spindle override, But I cannot find it in the controller. I also do not have the user name and password to get into the setup menu. Our last machinist quit and i cannot locate any notes or anything with that information. I am seriously thinking the last guy may have locked it down like that intentionally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Spindle speed defaults to 50%

Sounds strange, you may check the gear ratio setting
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Quote Originally Posted by jvancleave87 View Post
    Hello
    Im needing some help regarding a spindle rpm speed default setting on a VM16 with the 8200 controller. For some reason, no matter the program, the spindle speed defaults to 50% of the programmed rpm. I can feed hold the program before the first operation, and turn it up to 100% with the hand wheel, But as soon as it completes the cycle, it reverts back to 50% automatically. I can take that same Gcode program over to our VM4222IL and everything runs at 100% no problem.

I did find in the manual, reference to a parameter for spindle override, But I cannot find it in the controller. I also do not have the user name and password to get into the setup menu. Our last machinist quit and i cannot locate any notes or anything with that information. I am seriously thinking the last guy may have locked it down like that intentionally.

Post your Program just cut / paste it here
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by cncmakers001 View Post
    Sounds strange, you may check the gear ratio setting
    He is talking about a Machining Center, not a Hobby Machine Control, they don't have gear ratio settings
    Mactec54

Don't know if the 8200 is the same as the older Centurion 5 and 6 machines, but the process is Proto3, then 3 as the option, that will get you into the parameters. If that doesn't work, call Milltronics and I'm sure they will tell you what will work.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    He is talking about a Machining Center, not a Hobby Machine Control, they don't have gear ratio settings

Many CNC machining centres have M40, M41, M42 gearbox ratio's. However, I agree, the spindle speed is monitored by the spindle speed pulse encoder.

Hello

First up, check the spindle override switch, It may well be set to 100% but could be faulty. Check the input bit pattern using the PLC table.
    Also, you could have a speed max set in the program to prevent overspeed particularly when using surface speed setting. Code might be something like : G96 S5000.

Post your program please.

Well guys, I am embarrassed to say that it was the spindle over ride control on the panel. I feel like a complete IT 10 T lol. I thank everyone for their effort in trying to help me

Well guys, I am embarrassed to say that it was the spindle over ride control on the panel. I feel like a complete IT 10 T lol. I thank everyone for their effort in trying to help me
    Pleased my first thought and comment helped. I've had it on a large machine where it had a spindle override on the main panel and on a handset, both needed setting to the same % or it acted like a divider for spindle speed ????