584,808 active members*
4,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Tree 320 Lives Again

Tree 320 Lives Again

Hi All;

This old Tree 320 showed up in my garage in Nov 2016. I've been picking at it ever since. Got the basics working and have ran some test gcode. Please have a look at the few pics I took during the process. If anyone has any particular questions I would be happy to provide more details.

Here is a summary of the outcome
    - X, Y and Z axis have 1 KW Delta AC Servos
    - Spindle motor is 2 HP, VFD driven
    - 1000 to 3600 RPM in High Range
    - 100 to 360 RPM in Low Range
    - Max table speed 300 ipm
    - Mach4
    - ESS (Smooth Stepper)
    - C23 BOB

Attachment 402556
    Attachment 402558
    Attachment 402560
    Attachment 402562
    Attachment 402564
    Attachment 402566
    Attachment 402568

Re: Tree 320 Lives Again

What a cool project! Thanks for the pics. I don't remember having seen a 320 before and I didn't realize that they had the regular Reeves type upper head like a lot of the other machines. Pretty cool!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by rallyx99 View Post
    What a cool project! Thanks for the pics. I don't remember having seen a 320 before and I didn't realize that they had the regular Reeves type upper head like a lot of the other machines. Pretty cool!

Tim
    Hi Tim
    Thanks, it's been a long project. LOL This thing is a brute, No adjustable Head, Hopefully it proves to be nice, rigid machine. I'm in the process now of rewiring my first CNC machine, getting it ready for sale. Need the space to grow a TREE. I have lots of Pics of the build if anyone needs info about the machine. I have not seen a lot of Topics on the Zone featuring full strip and replace retrofits on these machines so I sort of charted my own course. I'm more than happy to offer assistance to anyone who asks.
    If I have any area of specialty to possibly offer to other Forum members it would be on the wiring and controls side, been at it for 30 years.
    Cheers
    Jim

Tim

BTW The gearbox appears to be identical except the 320 had no quill power feed output shaft.

That’s really interesting! I purchased something on eBay that was labeled as a “rebuild kit” for a Tree J200 (or maybe 210?... I don’t remember). It has all of the belts— including the one for the quill feed—a couple radial bearings, the timing gear shaft/range selector and gears, the drive side variable pulley sheaves and the entire horizontal quill shaft complete with gears, spring, knobs, etc. It’s missing the parts I need most which are the driven side variable sheaves. I’m going to have dig up bearing info, make my own seals and brake friction pad, but I’ll be able to rebuild the head soon. The spline drive eccentric pin and block carrier is chewed up real bad from the previous owner running it for YEARS with broken eccentric pins and springs. I’d love to replace that and also kiss the flats on the spline with a surface grinder. I made up some eccentric pins, blocks and springs, so I’m good to go there. The only things left to do would be replace spindle bearings and regrind the taper. I’d practically have a new machine! Well, I guess I’d want to work on everything below the head at that point, but...

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should add that I own, use and am rebuilding a 2UVRC. Because the head of my machine looked identical to the J200 (or 210 or whatever it was), I decided to take the chance (above).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim
    Thankfully the Top end of my machine was in great shape. I removed the Vari-Ratio setup and used a Timing Belt to a new motor. Top speed is a little higher than stock but it probably will never be run that fast regardless. I was worried about the noise a timing belt would add, but it proved to be quiet.

Boy does that look familiar! Looks like your's is coming along nicely!
    Did it have the mach controls on it when you acquired it? I am starting to consider that as an option.
    My j320 came with the Delta10 control, and I had upgraded it to the Delta-50, but am now having issues with the motherboard rebooting, among other smaller issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cameringo_20160908_135706.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	403242

Attachment 403244

fahrphrompuken
    Real nice job, looks like you had your share of grime to deal with. They just look so good, all cleaned up. I wish I had the Power Knee. If I ever come by one I will certainly grab it. Might have to make it a "project", LOL.

Not sure what mine had on it for CNC, the operators console was taken right from Star Trek, The G Code could be entered using a paper tape reader, The Computer was massive, big rack with a bunch of cards. It had not ran for years, so I did the only thing that that I could and tore it all off. Now I have AC brushless servos, VFD Spindle, table speeds of 300 ipm. I'm in the controls trade so I have access to a lot of parts that get removed from service, along with a few buddy's junk piles, that helped with the build budget. I still had to purchase all the major items but got it done for just over $6K CAD. The servos where the most expensive part making up half the budget. From what I see so far I believe I will be happy.

When I looked at the overall condition of my machine's controls. The only two things I could have reused were the DC Servo Motors and the spindle motor. In your case, as your machine is in such good condition, a full refit may not be the way to go, You can certainly use Mach4 / SmoothStepper / Bob platform to drive almost any hardware, I'm not sure if the old Servo Amps accept step and direction signals, something to check. If they do it could be a relatively simple change over.

Jim

Excellent work, I have a journeyman 320 and I'm very good at it.
    question, what controller card did you use for mach4?
    I need to change the ball screws, do you have information on the part # of these screws or any mechanical maintenance manual?

cheers and great job
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180215_222912967.jpg  

Very nice work jknee2 and fahrphrompuken! I love to see the old iron brought back to its former glory. Last year I picked up a tree j-250 with the Dynapath 40m control. These trees are built like an tank!