585,748 active members*
3,735 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 6kw Spindle 5.5kw VFD?

6kw Spindle 5.5kw VFD?

This one will be for Craig. 5.5kw VFD I own which is running my 4.5kw spindle. Not quite grunty enough to push some of the larger endmills I use on the gnarly aggressive cuts. Also its not an ATC.

I want to upgrade to a 6kw ATC (G Penny) spindle. The smaller one I own now, non ATC is fantastic. Just not ATC and a wee bit small.

Wondering how much of a poor practice it might be to keep my original VFD. Set it up and use it until I get the money to buy a new VFD. I do understand about supply but would it work for a while or overheat my new spindle?

Or perhaps I need to stop being a tightarse and spend the money?

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Re: 6kw Spindle 5.5kw VFD?

Actually disregard that post. I am going to pry open the wallet and go 6kw atc G Penny w 7.5kw Fuling VFD

Well pretty sure anyway. Will probably need help with setup so we dont have smoke tho

most time VFD power need bigger or at least same for spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by boydage View Post
    Actually disregard that post. I am going to pry open the wallet and go 6kw atc G Penny w 7.5kw Fuling VFD

Well pretty sure anyway. Will probably need help with setup so we dont have smoke tho

What is your Power source that you have to drive this big spindle when you say your 5.5Kw is not enough what are you driving it with 3Ph or Single Phase
    Mactec54

Hi. I have 3phase in my workshop good for 60A/phase, I have some reasonably large equipment in my workshop.

I have bought the G Penny 6kw ATC with a Fuling 7.5kw VFD. I am going to use a 3C + E MLG2 Fully flexible 4mm2 cable to power the motor and this cable I am going to sleeve through a ss earth strap to shield and protect it which should work well. Earthed to the max as per the norm.

The parameters look quite different for this VFD compared to the HY one I have now. It should be arriving in the next few weeks.

Oh. Right. Question. Currently I have a 3 phase contactor on the line voltage side of my 5.5kw VFD. I have been using this to energise the VFD but hear it is a no go? How else would I isolate my VFD to be correct?

As for power into my workshop I turn off all three phase equipment at the switchboard via breaker - its just too dangerous to leave powered.

Quote Originally Posted by boydage View Post
    Hi. I have 3phase in my workshop good for 60A/phase, I have some reasonably large equipment in my workshop.

I have bought the G Penny 6kw ATC with a Fuling 7.5kw VFD. I am going to use a 3C + E MLG2 Fully flexible 4mm2 cable to power the motor and this cable I am going to sleeve through a ss earth strap to shield and protect it which should work well. Earthed to the max as per the norm.

The parameters look quite different for this VFD compared to the HY one I have now. It should be arriving in the next few weeks.

Oh. Right. Question. Currently I have a 3 phase contactor on the line voltage side of my 5.5kw VFD. I have been using this to energise the VFD but hear it is a no go? How else would I isolate my VFD to be correct?

As for power into my workshop I turn off all three phase equipment at the switchboard via breaker - its just too dangerous to leave powered.
    All different VFD Drive manufacturers VFD require a different Parameter set, some of the basic don't change, motor specs don't change

That is fine to use a contactor to Enable / Disable the VFD Drive, that is very normal practice, just don't disconnect though if the spindle is running
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    All different VFD Drive manufacturers VFD require a different Parameter set, some of the basic don't change, motor specs don't change

That is fine to use a contactor to Enable / Disable the VFD Drive, that is very normal practice, just don't disconnect though if the spindle is running
    Thanks for that I actually was unable to work out why they recommend not to use a contactor its such a standard way to energise equipment. I am confident I should be able to get this setup running ok. Looking forward to the ATC and another 1.5kw of power to be honest. I relooked at my spindle its 4.5kw. I wont miss unscrewing the ER32 every tool change. Upgrades. Thats my never ending story.