585,708 active members*
4,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach 3 Issues - Pirate Version?

Hi everyone,

I'm a Teacher in a High School that is teaching a Manufacturing class. One of the toys is a Red Cam CNC machine. One of the first things we did was get it repaired and running. The Red Cam employee took the control box and changed the hook-up from a parallel port to a USB port.

The machine still doesn't run right. It will run ok one time, then when you try it again....the spindle won't turn on for example. Very very all over the map. It's the most frustrating thing. The Red Cam guy who is the manufacturer has pretty much said it's the Laptop and the Desktop computers (he says they both must use a deep freeze software?? which they don't have).....then totally ignores me for help, so I'm stuck trying to figure this out to get it up and running. Being new to all this, it's extremely difficult.

I'm really hoping someone can help and point us in the right direction. My first step I think is figuring out if a pirated version. How can one know if it's a legit copy of Mach 3?

Thanks,
    Norm

Re: Mach 3 Issues - Pirate Version?

Quote Originally Posted by Notoriousnorm View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm a Teacher in a High School that is teaching a Manufacturing class. One of the toys is a Red Cam CNC machine. One of the first things we did was get it repaired and running. The Red Cam employee took the control box and changed the hook-up from a parallel port to a USB port.

The machine still doesn't run right. It will run ok one time, then when you try it again....the spindle won't turn on for example. Very very all over the map. It's the most frustrating thing. The Red Cam guy who is the manufacturer has pretty much said it's the Laptop and the Desktop computers (he says they both must use a deep freeze software?? which they don't have).....then totally ignores me for help, so I'm stuck trying to figure this out to get it up and running. Being new to all this, it's extremely difficult.

I'm really hoping someone can help and point us in the right direction. My first step I think is figuring out if a pirated version. How can one know if it's a legit copy of Mach 3?

Thanks,
    Norm
    The deep freeze software may be needed for their setup with Mach3, but normally not needed for Mach3 use

what is in their box, what control Breakout Board are they using, this will determine what you have, some close-up photos of the Breakout Board would be the first move to see what they are using
    Mactec54

I never had any issue with Mach3 when it was used with a pirate license.
    But.... I also only used Mach3 on WinXP operating systems via parallel connection (32bit only).

That's how it was originally designed to be used.
    Mach4 was then a complete redesign for operating systems/pc's after XP.

Mactec54's idea of control photos is a useful one.

Hi,
    with Mach3 powered up look at the very topmost line of the screen; there will be the name to whom this copy of Mach3 is licensed. If its not your name then its most likely
    a pirate copy.

All development on Mach3 ceased seven years ago and so whatever bugs it has it will always have. Mach4 is the current and still developing product and is light years ahead of
    Mach3. Note however that you will require a Mach4 ready motion controller and el-cheapo Chinese made USB motion controllers will not work. Mach4 ready controllers like
    an Ethernet SmoothStepper cost $190USD.

I have used Mach4 and an Ethernet SmoothStepper for eight years and upgraded from Mach3 before that.

Craig