585,665 active members*
3,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > TL-2 For The Home Shop: An Adventure In Machine Moving

TL-2 For The Home Shop: An Adventure In Machine Moving

The local Haas dealer had a slightly used TL-2 with the full enclosure and auto toolchanger which I decided to get to complement the Super Mini in my home shop. The pictures say it all.

I had shown moving the Super Mini a while back but the TL is too long to fit through my back door so the first order of business was a new doorway in the side of the building and moving an old manual machine into long term storage. (...01, ...02, ...03)

The TL was transported on my big flatdeck with an old TL pallet raised up so the forklift could load from the side over the fenders. At about 7000lb gross for machine and trailer it was a bit above the 5000lb rating for the Dakota but the trip was just under a mile with no hills and I did tie it down. (...04, ...05)

Safely in the home driveway a few minutes work with a pallet jack and a small floor jack had the pallet lowered down onto the trailer deck. (...06, ...07, ...08, ...09)

Then came the 'cross-country' trip out to The Barn and jacking the trailer up on blocks to take the weight off the suspension and avoid any problems when the machine weight is taken away. (...10, ...11, ...12)

A snatch block secured at the end of the trailer was used to reverse the direction of the winch pull with the cable going to the forward end of the machine. The rubber mats are because I don't relish the thought of getting slapped in the face if the cable breaks. (...13, ...14, ...15)

Once clear of the trailer a few minutes work with jacks and a Sawzall had the trailer out of the way, the pallet removed in pieces and heavy duty casters bolted onto the jacking screws. (...16, ...17)

A few pulls with a come-along and it was in place on the floor, slightly less than 7 hours after it was loaded on the trailer. (...18, ...19)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TL2Move01.JPG   TL2Move02.JPG   TL2Move03.JPG   TL2Move04.JPG  

TL2Move05.JPG   TL2Move06.JPG   TL2Move07.JPG   TL2Move08.JPG  

TL2Move09.JPG   TL2Move10.JPG   TL2Move11.JPG   TL2Move12.JPG  

TL2Move13.JPG   TL2Move14.JPG   TL2Move15.JPG   TL2Move16.JPG  

TL2Move17.JPG   TL2Move18.JPG   TL2Move19.JPG  
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I do not envy moving that machine. We have a TL-2 and are familiar with the machines weight.

an impressive move as always Geof. How many people helped you do the move?
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Quote Originally Posted by automizer View Post
    an impressive move as always Geof. How many people helped you do the move?
    All by my lonely little self except for the last 30 minutes moving it into its final place with a come-along.

wow, and here I paid to have someone move my machine
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Good job. You'd be amazed what you can do with a palet jack, a floor jack, a couple of skates and a bar. I moved my 220a Daewoo, my SL10 ahd barfeed and my 2412 Sharp and Haas Mini a while ago to rearange the shop. Had one other guy to help. If I had a proper trailer and a fork lift, I'd do my own transportation too.

Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    Good job. You'd be amazed what you can do with a palet jack, a floor jack, a couple of skates and a bar.....
    No I would not!

I find it amusing sometimes how people are stuck on the idea that you need riggers and lots of fancy equipment to move things. I moved a 16,000lb turret lathe that was 12 feet long with only a hydraulic jack and a few lengths of different sized round bar.

Pick up one end of the machine and put it down on a small diameter bar; go to the other end and this time put it down on a larger diameter bar. This leaves the machine on a slight slope and it rolls downhill.

It is a good idea to have a piece of wood placed ahead of the small bar so as the edge of the machine gets closer to the floor it hits the wood and stop. If you let it go too far so the machine rolls off the larger bar two things happen; First the bar get squeezed rapidly out of the edge of the gap and scoots across the floor; second 16,000 lbs drops onto the floor with an almighty bang.

Nice work Geof, Funny, youve bought enough machines from TSS, I figured they might've helped you out!!!! May be only 2 machines in the Barn, but how many in the shop now?
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Quote Originally Posted by big_mak View Post
    Nice work Geof, Funny, youve bought enough machines from TSS, I figured they might've helped you out!!!! May be only 2 machines in the Barn, but how many in the shop now?
    TSS loaded it for me...big deal!

In the proper shop 16 machines now.

I wish having a barn like yours....
    I have contacts to get work going but the space is what is the problem ...

keep doing the good work and best of luck.