585,567 active members*
3,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to hold aluminum plate for production?

just looking for some advice or ideas on how I could hold a plate of a aluminum to do a production run.

the dimensions are in inches.

I was thinking of just holding it across 2 vises with a stop on one side and doing all the top side first and then flipping it and facing the backside.

they only thing I'm hesitant about is that the plate thickness needs to be +- .005 which isn't super tight but I'm worried that over the course of making 100's of them that will be hard to hold by just flipping the part.

the part is attached as a screenshot,thank you!

Re: How to hold aluminum plate for production?

I don't see your screenshot or dimensions, but the idea of spanning two vises doesn't sound like it would work too well. Usually, a fixture that locates the workpiece in a location that's repeatable is what's called for in a situation like this. Clear the vises off first, and take some material the surface of the fixture when it's in place, so you're sure it's perfectly flat. Then make a couple of ledgers so stop bars can be aligned to the machine's X and Y axes.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

pretty straight forward part , 2 vises and a dead blow hammer will get it done

Quote Originally Posted by hemmi71328 View Post
    just looking for some advice or ideas on how I could hold a plate of a aluminum to do a production run.

the dimensions are in inches.

I was thinking of just holding it across 2 vises with a stop on one side and doing all the top side first and then flipping it and facing the backside.

they only thing I'm hesitant about is that the plate thickness needs to be +- .005 which isn't super tight but I'm worried that over the course of making 100's of them that will be hard to hold by just flipping the part.

the part is attached as a screenshot,thank you!
    A long set of soft jaws will work for this part, I made a 12" set which can work for a single vice or work with 2 vices' the part in the photo is more than 12" long was done with single vice
    Mactec54