585,568 active members*
3,339 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

(Steel) Table Mating

I have misgivings about mating Avid aluminum extrusions to a steel table. Part of the draw of Avid is that it's not a big, impractical to move machine- something it also suffers for. I'm seeking a middle ground, that space of compromise usually occupied by mediocrity. I want a relatively rigid table base I can break down and move, assemble, re-level, fill with sand for dampening, and build out the Avid machine base on.

I'm good with all the basic fabrication of the steel elements, but can't quite reckon how to wed the aluminum extrusions in way that will both allow for tramming AND capture the benefits of the steel base. I'm sure this is a problem that has been confronted by many others before- any insight will be appreciated.

Re: (Steel) Table Mating

Quote Originally Posted by Mavigogun View Post
    I have misgivings about mating Avid aluminum extrusions to a steel table. Part of the draw of Avid is that it's not a big, impractical to move machine- something it also suffers for. I'm seeking a middle ground, that space of compromise usually occupied by mediocrity. I want a relatively rigid table base I can break down and move, assemble, re-level, fill with sand for dampening, and build out the Avid machine base on.

I'm good with all the basic fabrication of the steel elements, but can't quite reckon how to wed the aluminum extrusions in way that will both allow for tramming AND capture the benefits of the steel base. I'm sure this is a problem that has been confronted by many others before- any insight will be appreciated.
    There is more than one way to do this, if you want it to be easy to break down then you can add an aluminum plate / bar to the bottom of the extrusion and then you would have a flange around the bottom of the extrusion to bolt / fasten to the steel table, this would be your easiest way to do it, or direct bolt / fasten the extrusion to the steel table using T-Nuts in the extrusion and be able to bolt / fasten from underneath the steel table into the T-Nuts

Another way is to machine pockets into the extrusion and you this type of fastener to direct bolt / fasten to the steel table
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extrusion Fasteners 2022.png  
    Mactec54