585,728 active members*
4,960 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Hardware > Epilog EXT36 power supply damage (HELP)

Epilog EXT36 power supply damage (HELP)

I do not use my Epilog as much but this time of year I use it a lot. I was doing some engraving and heard a pop but the machine kept on operating so I was not sure what happened. A few hours later Another pop but this time the machine shut down completely. I started diagnosing it from the power source to the power supplies and ended up finding the issue but Is it the root issue or could it be something further down line. There are two mean well 48v power supplies in this machine, both of them had a mosfet explode and it was the same exact one on each unit. That explains the pop but what would cause a mosfet to explode? This machine is extremely clean and low time. Everything looks good inside the power supplies besides the single exploded mosfet on each unit. The 25amp internal fuses were both blown as well. Anyhow, this is a 12 year old machine but still in very good condition but maybe the power supplies are just old or should I investigate down stream further? The laser was operating fine using moderate power for some raster engraving. I do not want to order new mosfets only to blow them again because there is something else wrong. The laser is a 120watt Coherent GEM. It has the separate RF power supply which I have not nor do I care to go into to investigate. I do have a PowerOne power supply that I could use but I do not want to destroy it as well if there is something else wrong. Anyone have any experience or understand on what would cause the mosfets to blow?

Thanks
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20221222_201357.jpg  

Re: Epilog EXT36 power supply damage (HELP)

I thought I would also mention that for some reason I have fairly high line voltage. I normally see far more than the normal 240v upwards to 260v at times. looking at the specs on the MeanWell power supply that should not be an issue as the range is much greater than the voltage that I see here at my place. Anyhow, I hope someone can help me pinpoint this issue, its sure a let down happening right now when I work the machine the most each year.